Gransnet forums

AIBU

Barefoot GrandDaughter

(69 Posts)
j45108 Sun 06-Nov-11 21:41:21

I really need some opinion here

My daughter and son in law are a normal hard working couple in their late 20s and not hippies, there only strange habit is liking Ikea furniture which I find rather strange. I have one Granddaughter, who always has new, nice clothing.

It was early last year that they announced that they wanted their daughter, then aged 6 to be barefoot whenever possible! I had hoped this would only last a short while but since then my granddaughter has only worn shoes to school.

I have to date refuse to go out with them but recently at a family wedding that while most people found it a little strange most seemed to find nothing wrong with it. Her other grandparents go out with her while she was barefoot.

Last night I went to an organised firework display with my other daughter and my granddaughter just happened to be there with her parents. Again no one took any notice apart for a couple of people who pointed out out that the ittle girl was barefoot to whoever they were with. We went to a restaurant later.

Wherever I go I do not see barefoot children apart for my granddaughter.

My daughter says that while it might not be normal there is nothing wrong with it.

So how does everyone else think.

Jean

JessM Mon 07-Nov-11 13:17:15

I have always suspected that "supportive footwear for children" is successful marketing by footwear companies.

bagitha Mon 07-Nov-11 13:18:14

Sorry about your grandson's fallen arches, greatnan. What a nuisance for him! Did he always have the problem or was it caused by some injury or illness?

Greatnan Mon 07-Nov-11 14:39:21

Thank you, bagitha. He was born with them - fortunately, he is a diver so he is able to enjoy his sport in spite of the flat feet. He throws his feet out when he walks, which looks a bit strange, but he does not need to wear arch supports.

Butternut Mon 07-Nov-11 15:40:15

I've had flat feet/fallen arches for as long as I can remember. In fact there was an exercise I was encouraged to do when very young which was to practice picking up a pencil from the floor by curling my toes around it.

It has only been in the past 10 years that I started to suffer discomfort and pain, but with good, specially made insoles, I'm now v. comfortable. However, I still love going bare foot in the summer, but I suffer the consequences! sad

I think your granddaughter, j45108 will make her own choices in due course.

lucid Mon 07-Nov-11 16:40:37

Both my parents worked in the shoe trade but I (and my brothers and sisters) were actively encouraged NOT to wear shoes or socks. I still hate having to wear them.... It is very bad for tiny feet to be encased in tight fitting socks/shoes. Like Absent I've never had a problem walking about in bare feet even clambering over rocks and walking on stony tarmac. Walking barefoot is not the cause of fallen arches.

greenmossgiel Mon 07-Nov-11 17:14:19

I'm always barefoot in the house, and often in the garden (once I've got past the gravelly stuff)! My feet are really good - no problems with arches, apart from the fact that they are a bit high! smile

expatmaggie Mon 07-Nov-11 17:29:44

In Switzerland it is usual for school beginners - and of course kindergarten children to go barefoot in the summer months.

I go barefoot in summer, too and the rest of the time wear those healthy Birkenstock cork sandals which Germans are famous for wearing and get laughed at because of them, but they do prevent foot problems and I have pairs at all the houses I visit.

NannaAnna Mon 07-Nov-11 19:06:01

I take shoes off as soon as I can, wherever I can. The moment I step inside my front door I release my feet, and I do the same at friends' houses. It has never occurred to me to do otherwise, and I'd never met anyone who has as much as mentioned it. I really couldn't cope with anything on my feet when at home.
My kids used to laugh at me for saying I couldn't think with shoes on, but I can't.
I spent most of my childhood barefoot, and could run across the pebbly Brighton beach with ease. (I can still walk along the pebbles barefoot too smile)
I think nothing of taking my shoes off to walk home if I've been out in heels, regardless of the weather. It actually feels lovely in the rain grin

Oh yes - I do believe I have some IKEA furniture too wink

FlicketyB Mon 07-Nov-11 19:56:25

DH and (adult) children walk round the house barefoot. I slide my feet out of my shoes as soon as I sit down but walk round the house with shoes on. I give all this detail because DH and DD seem to break a toe every few years. I 've lost count how often one or other has damaged their feet. DH has two toes strapped together at the moment, he pranged that toe on a chair leg. Me? never broken a toe in my life.

NannaAnna Mon 07-Nov-11 20:16:08

I've never broken a toe (or anything else) ever. Also have very strong arches, no bunions and great shaped feet smile

j45108 Mon 07-Nov-11 20:55:53

Ah well I now see I am the odd one.

I have actually take my granddaughter to the park after school today despite it being quite cold she was not bothered about it. We later went to Burger King and into the restaurant area. I felt everyone was staring at use, but maybe they were not.

Iam going to go to Ikea on Thursday see if I can find anything I like lol, maybe take my granddaughter too.

Thanks for al your input to my post, however if most people thinks that iy is OK for children to go round without their shoes (and these around me seem to do so too) then why is it not more common?

bagitha Mon 07-Nov-11 21:08:00

Good question. Maybe most people find it too cold, or too uncomfortable, or too unconventional. But if one doesn't think it any of those things, there isn't a problem.

crimson Mon 07-Nov-11 21:40:02

Only ever seen one person without shoes and that was a rather grubby looking man who lived in the next village; he used to cycle through our village [barefoot] on his way home. Have to say I would probably stare at a child with no shoes on and would worry about such things as treading on broken glass or [if in the garden] wasps or bees [I trod on a bee once, and it was jolly painfull]. Interesting to read of so many people having healthy feet and not wearing shoes much in their youth. My feet are awful. Think most people tend to take their shoes off in their homes now, but can't say I've seen it outside of the home.

harrigran Mon 07-Nov-11 22:46:54

FlicketyB have to agree about broken toes, I have done it twice whilst barefoot and it is agony when you do it.

jingle Mon 07-Nov-11 22:50:21

"I felt everyone was staring at use, but maybe they were not".

j45108, they were staring at you.

harrigran Mon 07-Nov-11 23:49:30

jingle behave grin

bagitha Tue 08-Nov-11 06:21:17

grin. She is behaving — badly! grin

JessM Tue 08-Nov-11 18:43:12

Quite difficult to go to IKEA and not pick up a little something in the portable item section... their houseplants are rather good.
And a cheap, grandparent friendly cafe!

j45108 Wed 09-Nov-11 15:09:44

Quite difficult to go to IKEA and not pick up a little something in the portable item section... their houseplants are rather good.
And a cheap, grandparent friendly cafe!

In that case I really do need to visit Ikea! I have promised to take GD out at weekend so hoping for nice weather, so put Ikea on the list.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 09-Nov-11 15:52:16

tealights and paper napkins...

jingle Wed 09-Nov-11 16:05:22

That was an inspired post Cari. Can we have some more? smile

jingle Wed 09-Nov-11 16:06:49

wink grin

I'm sure the tealights and paper napkins are lovely. (Waitrose any less hard on the old legs?)

Gally Wed 09-Nov-11 16:15:56

I'm a bit confused; thought I was going to expound on bare feet and here we are having a discussion about Ikea and tea lights? confused

jingle Wed 09-Nov-11 16:18:14

Much nicer though isn't it. All neat and clean. smile

jingle Wed 09-Nov-11 16:35:46

Not that Ikea is particularly neat and clean. And I'm sure barefoot grand-daughters are spotless, apart from the soles of their feet"!

No offence meant. shock