Gransnet forums

AIBU

Thunder bolts! did your grannies open the front n back door to let the Thunderbold roll through!

(37 Posts)
bikergran Wed 01-Jul-15 22:20:25

we have thunder starting here in Lancashire right now and it brought memories back to when I used to be at my grans house, if it started thundering she would open the back and front door to let the thunderbolt roll through shock

I spent many a year frightened out of my wits ! waiting for this massive ball of thunder to drop down from the sky and roll though the house!!

was this a Lancashire tradition or did others come across it?

Luckygirl Wed 01-Jul-15 22:25:10

We once had a lightening strike in our home - there was a large curved archway between 2 halves of a large room, and inside it was an RSJ. I walked across the room in a thunderstorm and a sheet of lightning flashed like a curtain downwards in the archway - I was slightly disconcerted!

bikergran Wed 01-Jul-15 22:26:14

* thunderbolt* dohhhhh

durhamjen Wed 01-Jul-15 22:28:02

Never came across that, but we've just had our second lot today. I did stand at the door for this one, rain like stair rods. I think it's heading towards the coast now, Sunderland way.

whenim64 Wed 01-Jul-15 22:32:16

I remember my grandmother saying some people did this, biker. I have never really understood what a thunderbolt is - is it a cross between thunder and lightning? Doesn't quite compute in my head! hmm

It's thundering now here in south Manchester and beginning to rain heavily. Hopefully, the air will be fresher and less humid in the morning.

numberplease Wed 01-Jul-15 22:49:47

Perhaps it`s a Lancashire thing? My grandma was near Rochdale, and always said that you had to open the door so that the thunderbolt could roll down the stairs and oout the door. I never really knew what to believe about thunderbolts, but a couple of years ago, during a thunderstorm, there was a flash of lightening, our wi-fi router gave off a blue flame and smoke and gave up the ghost, plus at the same time, a large orange ball nof fire hit the wall at the end of the garage, all visible from where we were sitting. I`ve never seen anything like it before, and it cost us a new router.

Ana Wed 01-Jul-15 22:54:47

A thunderbolt is a flash of lightning with a simultaneous crash of thunder.

FYI

harrigran Wed 01-Jul-15 23:06:12

I live on the north east coast and it was a custom followed by older relatives, open the doors and windows. My belief is that if you do get struck it runs through the wiring and blows out appliances that are plugged in.
We had the storm this afternoon but it missed us tonight, we could see the lightning but it did not break overhead.
This afternoon's storm sent us scattering around the garden taking down the parasol and putting the chairs in the garage, we made it just as the first big sploshes fell.

harrigran Wed 01-Jul-15 23:38:31

Have just seen photos of a house, about 10 miles from me, struck by thunderbolt, blew a hole in the roof and melted the TV.

Nelliemoser Wed 01-Jul-15 23:39:00

I said on another thread I used to be scared of "Thunder and lightning very very frightening."

durhamjen Wed 01-Jul-15 23:51:49

Harrigran, just looked on the BBC travel, and there is disruption around Bishop Auckland because of ice and fog!

harrigran Thu 02-Jul-15 00:45:24

We are having the most spectacular lightning at the minute but no thunder.
My goodness we are having all four seasons today plus the wind was nithering this afternoon.

absent Thu 02-Jul-15 07:30:12

Is a thunderbolt the same as a bolt from the blue?

Greyduster Thu 02-Jul-15 07:46:22

My mother used to do it. I never got the hang of how this thing was supposed to manifest itself though!

Grannyknot Thu 02-Jul-15 07:52:43

I've seen some spectacular lightning storms in my life. One one occasion, giant bolts of green lightning striking the earth as if some Supreme Being is throwing multiple javelins. The lightning literally ran across the ground till it disappeared.

There is something incredibly energising about thunderstorms, I think it has something to do with ions (Where that came from I have no idea!) grin Anyway, I love them.

Grannyknot Thu 02-Jul-15 07:53:13

mixed tenses there blush

vampirequeen Thu 02-Jul-15 08:31:08

My aunt opens all doors and windows. We're in Yorkshire.

mcem Thu 02-Jul-15 09:10:49

Spectacular thunder and lightning here 12 - 2am.
Kept me awake but didn't wake 2 sleeping DGCs so no calming down needed.
I've never heard of opening windows and doors.

whenim64 Thu 02-Jul-15 09:35:51

Greyduster yes, it's the manifesation of that thunder and lightning meeting at once and somehow forming an object that is said to be able to 'roll through houses.' Who has ever actually seen that happen for people to think they had to open doors to let it through? Can't envisage it.

Teetime Thu 02-Jul-15 09:36:28

My grandmother and mother used to hide all the knives and forks and unplug anything plugged in (East London).

Anniebach Thu 02-Jul-15 09:36:48

My mother did it too, South Wales

Greyduster Thu 02-Jul-15 13:10:46

Even in adulthood, my older sister, a normally rational and down to earth individual, was terrified of thunder storms. She would hide in the cupboard under the stairs and refuse to come out until assured that the last growl had dissipated!

bikergran Thu 02-Jul-15 15:44:07

oh and apparently thunder turns milk sour! hmm maybe that was in the days of no fridges! smile

trisher Thu 02-Jul-15 16:45:43

My grandmother used to collect all the knives and forks in the skirt of her pinnie and hide in the cupboard under the stairs. My mother always talked about the first time she went to tea and they heard thunder, my Grandmother rushed around the table grabbing their cutlery.

Stansgran Thu 02-Jul-15 18:34:20

A spectacular thunderstorm in Durham yesterday and a house in Darlington lost most of its roof. We had hail but Sacriston way they had snowball sized ones. Lots of sheet lightning and forked lightning. The garden appreciated the rain