Gransnet forums

AIBU

... to discover....

(10 Posts)
granjura Tue 29-Sep-15 11:38:07

nearly 7 years later- that the grey grouting in the bathroom floor-

is not normally grey!!! having just purchased a hand-held steam cleaner with grouting attachment.

Yiiikes. I do mop the floor weekly and often more, I promise.

Luckygirl Tue 29-Sep-15 11:59:13

Mop the floor weekly - hmm. I will draw a veil over this idea! grin

JackyB Tue 29-Sep-15 12:06:27

Mopping the floor just pushes the dirt into the grouting - think about it.

That's why the grime has accumulated there. The only way to get the grouting clean would have been to run a cloth along all the edges of the tiles after mopping, preferably with a bleach solution, pushing it into the furrows with your fingertip.

The only way to clean the floor would really be to scrub it like in the olden days. I mop mine every week, too, but if I go to pick up an extra bit of dirt immediately after mopping, say, with a piece of loo paper, and the floor is still damp, the paper comes up black and full of dust, fluff and bits. Good job I can't see it all that well without my glasses!

Alea Tue 29-Sep-15 12:37:49

I deliberately chose pale grey grouting for this dark slate tiles in our en suite.
Not such a silly idea then! grin

Alea Tue 29-Sep-15 12:38:47

Oh heck, " *the dark slate tiles"

Charleygirl Tue 29-Sep-15 13:32:23

granjura what was the type of hand held steam cleaner that you bought? Some have such poor reviews that I have not got around to buying one and I really must because my oven needs to be cleaned and preferably with minimum effort from me.

granjura Tue 29-Sep-15 13:42:44

It's a Polti- got 'free' with points from HyperU (French supermarket)- it has a handle and mop for floors, which can be removed and used hand held with tools. The grouting is now light grey- not sure if it ever was white or not. I will do the grouting again with a bleach spray in about a month's time and see ;)

kittylester Tue 29-Sep-15 14:49:25

We have grey tiles with grey grouting as the tiles looked awful with white grouting. Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it!!!!

granjura Tue 29-Sep-15 15:02:33

lol, exactly what we did in the new guest bathroom - and I didn't even know about the old one then ;)

granjura Tue 29-Sep-15 15:03:52

now off at a tangent- talking about 'free' gadgets- just made an iced soufflé with my old Kenwood beater- got it free with greenshield stamps in 1971!