Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hijab

(177 Posts)
NanKate Thu 08-Oct-15 15:59:54

I too watched the exciting Final of The Great British Bake Off and was so pleased Nadiya won. She was such a beautiful young woman and so talented in the kitchen.

I was just saddened that due to her religion she hid her hair under a hijab.

This is not meant to be a racist comment just a statement of fact.

rosesarered Thu 08-Oct-15 16:01:46

May be hygenic for cooking though!

NanKate Thu 08-Oct-15 16:03:06

I should have said IMO.

granjura Thu 08-Oct-15 16:34:52

Many Christian women do that, like nuns, some brethrens and Hamish, etc.

Nadiya seems to be a very stong woman, and her husband a really kind and supportive man- who was happy to take care of the family and give her a chance to prove herself and shine- which is what counts, surely.

I am pretty sure Nadiya chooses to wear a head covering, because that is what SHE wants to do. Very condescending, even if not intentionally, to claim otherwise.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 08-Oct-15 16:37:13

Why should it make you sad? She is obviously happy with it. Live and let live I say.

merlotgran Thu 08-Oct-15 16:39:53

I thought she looked better than some previous contestants who had greasy hair dangling all over the place.

And that's just the men grin

NotTooOld Thu 08-Oct-15 16:41:07

Hmm. Must make her head hot whilst baking, though. I wouldn't choose to wear a headscarf whilst standing next to a hot oven would you?

NotTooOld Thu 08-Oct-15 16:41:46

He-he, merlotgran!

grannyactivist Thu 08-Oct-15 16:43:11

I asked one of my students last week why she continues to wear the hijab when I know her husband is quite happy for her not to wear it - and she said it saves her having to wash her hair! confused

Lona Thu 08-Oct-15 16:44:26

I wish they would cover their hair (if they so wish) with colourful scarves instead of dark/black ones, but I suppose that defeats the object.

Luckygirl Thu 08-Oct-15 16:44:48

I like that grannya - I have a lot of sympathy with that!

annodomini Thu 08-Oct-15 17:16:59

It's possible that in her own home she doesn't wear the scarf. I was teaching a class of mature students. When we broke for coffee, the men all went out and the women stayed chatting with me. Our Iranian student took off her scarf and revealed a very short blond hairdo. She was also wearing jeans and trainers. He mother used to send her pretty scarves from home and she always looked good.

Jane10 Thu 08-Oct-15 17:19:46

When I was in Bangladesh the women I was with didn't cover their hair. In fact they positively looked down on those that did. One told me that it was just a pointless throwback to the days when arabs were in the desert. Bangladesh was never a desert area.

Jane10 Thu 08-Oct-15 17:20:46

Cont..so wearing a hijab was looked on as a silly affectation.

Alea Thu 08-Oct-15 17:30:01

I think you will find you mean the Amish, GJ, "Hamish" sounds as they might be the Highland splinter group confused

Teetime Thu 08-Oct-15 17:32:00

Love Nadiya and everything about her - delighted that she won- what a skilled and lovely person. smile

grannylyn65 Thu 08-Oct-15 17:35:12

Oh I liked the Hamish better!grin

Alea Thu 08-Oct-15 17:38:29

gringrin

janeainsworth Thu 08-Oct-15 18:04:35

I don't watch GBBO but it doesn't make me feel sad to see someone wearing a hijab - I assume they do so from personal choice.
I personally don't like pierced cheeks, lips or rings through noses (studs are ok) and think they are quite disfiguring, but the owners of the piercings obviously feel differently and it's entirely their choice.

rosequartz Thu 08-Oct-15 18:13:51

Perhaps they should all wear those hygienic shower cap things when they are baking .....

TerriBull Thu 08-Oct-15 18:26:46

I was very glad Nadiya won, she was a worthy winner and her range of facial expressions endeared her to many of us. BTW she has a very handsome husband, he looks as good as some of her edible creations!

My only thoughts about the hijab in the kitchen, is my god it must be hot under that lot, she has a few years yet before she goes through the menopause, but she might find it a bit uncomfortable at that stage, although I'm assuming that she wouldn't wear it in her own home?

NotTooOld Thu 08-Oct-15 18:43:14

Oh, I was wondering who Hamish is. I was picturing a bloke with hairy legs and a kilt wearing a scarf over his head and dancing a highland fling.

Ana Thu 08-Oct-15 18:46:20

Anyone remember the tv series Hamish Macbeth, starring Robert Carlyle (before he got famous!)? He used to smoke weed, although he was a policeman, he'd probably be a dab hand at hash brownies...grin

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 08-Oct-15 19:06:13

Quite frankly given the current climate of negativity towards immigrants, I don't think Nadiya could have picked a more perfect time to win. Having watched her every week on the show, maybe some people will have a hard think about their perceptions.

NotTooOld Thu 08-Oct-15 19:10:28

Did N pick her perfect time to win or did someone else pick her as the perfect person to win - and I'm not talking about her cake.