Gransnet forums

AIBU

to hope for a donation?

(61 Posts)
Badenkate Sun 22-May-16 23:06:11

Watching Antiques Roadshow, there is usually someone who says 'I bought this for 50p in a charity shop' before being told it's worth £400. Is it unreasonable to hope that if they sell it, they make some donation to the charity? Or do you think that's generally what happens and I'm just cynical?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 22-May-16 23:15:01

Not unreasonable to hope that it happens. Just unrealistic. Unfortunately.

harrigran Mon 23-May-16 09:00:05

Doubtful. I would like to think people would donate.

Indinana Mon 23-May-16 09:14:38

In an ideal world yes. But unlikely. You're definitely not being unreasonable in thinking they should give some back.

granjura Mon 23-May-16 09:34:37

Badenkate, we often say exactly that ... if it was me, I'd just have to give a substantial proportion back to the charity- and would hope most would do so.
Why is it unrealistic to do 'the right thing'? - sad.

annsixty Mon 23-May-16 09:43:27

But I expect that many will want to keep whatever it is they bought . They must have liked it to buy it in the first place. So they haven't actually profited.
I don't suppose anyone who bought a house some years ago and it is now worth 10 times the buying price are going to donate to charity.

annsixty Mon 23-May-16 09:45:15

Or even give some of the huge profit back to the vendor.

GandTea Mon 23-May-16 10:27:24

When we go to boot sales, isn't that what we are trying to find, that diamond ring for a few pence at the bottom of a box of junk ?
If it was from a charity shop, I would like to think I would make a donation back, but it hasn't happened yet so it's hypothetical.

Grannyknot Mon 23-May-16 10:56:57

I wouldn't tie the two together.

I give to charities of my choice when I feel like it...so if I had a windfall, one of my favourite charities might benefit, or maybe I would spoil a family member.

granjura Mon 23-May-16 11:03:16

Did you ever buy a house given to a charity annsixty? Quite different surely.

janeainsworth Mon 23-May-16 11:03:24

Agree with you Ann and Gk
I think charity shops often have people weeding out what is valuable and what is not, and if they identify something worth £0000's it is sold through appropriate channels.
Anyway caveat emptor works both ways.
Do charities contact a donor who has inadvertently given them a Ming vase so they can have the opportunity to sell it at auction?
No, I thought not.........

janeainsworth Mon 23-May-16 11:07:34

The principle is the same granjura - something is worth a lot more than what you paid for it.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 23-May-16 11:18:04

Wouldn't give any money back to the donor. "Donor beware"!

Car boot sales are fair game. No ethical thinking required there.

josephine257 Mon 23-May-16 11:21:15

I work in a charity shop and believe it or not we have to keep our eyes open for thieving and swapping of price labels! Many people have no conscience whatsoever so it's a dream that the buyer of a bargain would donate back to the charity.

rosesarered Mon 23-May-16 12:00:56

Sad, isn't it? they certainly should do.People on these shows often seem really smug that they bought it in a charity shop for next to nothing, they have no shame in saying so! They could easily pop in to the shop ( without saying why) and give a good donation.

Nonnie1 Mon 23-May-16 12:04:36

No. I give to charities I feel passionate about. I have a direct debit to a hospice lottery and the last two weeks I have won five pounds which I did not claim. if I won the thousand jackpot I would keep it.

If I bought a gem in a charity shop I would have paid over the odds for it since I never pay the asking price. If I sold it for £££ I would keep it.

Agree with jinglebellsfrocks on this one.

inishowen Mon 23-May-16 13:24:40

I've seen people at boot fairs looking at the jewellery with a special eyeglass. If they then decide to buy something, does that not alert the vendor that it may be something valuable? Why would they let it go for 50p?

Linsco56 Mon 23-May-16 14:07:56

inishowen I have seen people do exactly as you say and when they find something they think is of value the will pick up a few other non-valuable pieces and ask for a price for the lot.

I recently bought a beautifully framed limited edition print in our local charity shop (which I donate to regularly) the price was £10. I later Googled the artist and found some of his prints from the same limited edition had sold for around £350. I felt a little guilty and gathered together some items and gave them to the charity shop later that week and put a £10 donation into the collecting tin on the counter. Probably not enough but it salved my conscience and I can now enjoy looking at my print without feeling any guilt.

granjura Mon 23-May-16 14:39:37

disagree jane - charity and business are not the same.

granjura Mon 23-May-16 14:43:41

... and jingl, re car boot sales, which again is business, not charity.

Grannyknot Mon 23-May-16 16:13:24

We've had this discussion before ... but, to recap, most of the larger charities nowadays are big business.

Badenkate Mon 23-May-16 16:48:06

Most charities are run as a big business because they are there, in part, to generate funds. However I would still feel some unease at knowing that I had deprived a local hospice, say, from money that would help ease someone's last days.

janeainsworth Mon 23-May-16 17:00:53

Surely the charities are at fault if they don't appraise things properly when they are brought into the shops?
And as Ann pointed out, you would only make a financial gain if and when you sold it.

Badenkate Mon 23-May-16 17:13:40

Don't know where you live Janeainsworth, but this is a small market town where the charity shop workers are local volunteers, not antique dealers. I'd guess this is true of a majority of charity shops. It seems unreasonable to expect them to identify high worth items

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 23-May-16 17:21:42

I think Oxfam do. Don't they have a special website for collectable items?