Gransnet forums

AIBU

Party Invitation

(18 Posts)
ninathenana Fri 29-Jul-16 18:00:06

We received an invite to H's sister's 60th today. It's addressed to H and I. Adult son who lives with us is not included. I know people have to be careful with numbers and if he lived elsewhere I'd understand.
I'm a bit miffed AIBU ?

phoenix Fri 29-Jul-16 18:02:49

Perhaps they thought it might not be his sort of thing?

FarNorth Fri 29-Jul-16 18:05:56

Especially if they are only inviting "old people".

ninathenana Fri 29-Jul-16 18:14:34

grin she doesn't act 60 and I don't doubt her S and DiL will be there.
phoenix would have been nice if he'd had the option though.
Maybe I am BU

tanith Fri 29-Jul-16 18:26:02

Unless they are particularly close then yes I think you are. My adult children would look on it as a lucky escape to be left out. Maybe our family aren't particularly close with Aunts and Uncles.

Grannyben Fri 29-Jul-16 19:53:36

I'm sorry but I don't think they have been that unreasonable. She has invited her brother who she was brought up with and, of course, you are on the guest list as you are her brother's wife. Similarly, her son and fill will be there as she gave birth to him and he is as special to her as your son obviously is to you. Please don't feel offended by her actions, I'm sure non were intended.

Grannyben Fri 29-Jul-16 19:54:36

How on earth did dil become fill!

stillaliveandkicking Fri 29-Jul-16 21:45:07

Well I'd also be a bit meh, its family.

It may be an oversight and as other posters have said, she may not have thought he'd want to go.

Give her a call and say he'd like to go.

NotTooOld Fri 29-Jul-16 22:20:02

Are you sure he WANTS to go? Better check before taking any action! grin

ninathenana Sat 30-Jul-16 00:24:52

smile I didn't say he wanted to go.
H and I just thought it a bit rude when he lives under the same roof not to include him. I wouldn't ring her and ask her to include him as I feel that would be out of order.
It's obviously just me and H that feel this way.

phoenix Sat 30-Jul-16 00:32:17

Don't get all of a doo dah about it, in the grand scheme of things, does It really matter?

Have you asked your son if he actually wants to go??

BlueBelle Sat 30-Jul-16 07:36:51

I don't think living under the same roof has anything to do with it it s a 60 year olds party
I personally can't really see where thev logic of living conditions come into the equations at all
Does your son feel upset or left out ? if not no point in even worrying about it
If when you get there a lot of other young family members are included then is the time to feel put out
If your son was invited to a young cousins party would you and your husband expect to be invited too ?

Christinefrance Sat 30-Jul-16 08:55:38

Yes I agree BlueBell, it's a party for older folks, I am sure this was the thought of the hosts. Your son has his own life and friends.

NanaandGrampy Sat 30-Jul-16 08:59:46

hmmmm i would feel a little like the OP actually despite understanding about numbers and cost and evberything.

But then my immediate family is close . I have a big party coming up in Sept and not only have I invited my brother and sisters but their kids and grandkids even though I know some will politely decline ( because of distance) .

Its a family party so they all get invited. Im sure he'll mind less than you Nina but one in all in I say smile

rosesarered Sat 30-Jul-16 09:00:53

nina I know what you mean, but think he wouldn't want to go anyway ( old dudes!)

ninathenana Sat 30-Jul-16 09:55:23

As I posted at 00.24 he hasn't said he wanted to go but I think he was a bit put out. It's hard to tell as he has ASD .
It is me that's most bothered. Probably because I feel sorry for him as he has no friends and doesn't go out at all except to a weekly computer course.
Wish I posted you've made me feel silly.

ninathenana Sat 30-Jul-16 10:02:03

I hadn't posted you've made me feel silly for being bothered.

silverlining48 Sat 30-Jul-16 10:14:38

dont feel silly, the fact that your son has a disability makes it more understandable that you will be disappointed that he hasnt been included in the invitation. i dont suppose anyone who responded knew that and it does change the situation somewhat. good luck with whatever you decide to do.