Gransnet forums

AIBU

Giving things away

(43 Posts)
Nvella Mon 22-Aug-16 16:26:34

I have recently downsized to a small flat and need to vent about people's behaviour when I have offered stuff on Freecycle, Gumtree or local community groups - all for free. I have yet again had the experience of putting an item (a toddler mattress in almost new condition) on one of these sites and have had dozens of people asking for it but three no-shows already and (this took the biscuit) "Yes I will have if - when can you deliver it?" !!
Charity shops won't take any sort of bedding so it'll be down to the tip with it.
When they do turn up they barely thank you. Friends say it's because they are free and if I charged people would behave better- are they right?

chelseababy Mon 22-Aug-16 16:28:38

Maybe they think they are doing you a favour by taking it off your hands? It's very rude in my opinion.

NanaandGrampy Mon 22-Aug-16 16:30:58

We've been having the same issues Nvella .

I was in marketing for many years and one of the things that was true throughout that time was that free things have no value . So I think you're absolutely right.

When we recently replaced all our dining room furniture they would only take 4 of the 6 chairs because 2 had no fire proof labels ...yet they were clearly a set of 6 .

We have been digging out a lot of our things for the grandchildren , cot, high chair, bouncy chair , buggy and car seats. All lightly used but I couldn't give them away for love or money . They all went to the tip - such a waste .

aggie Mon 22-Aug-16 16:40:58

Our council recycling center has a "shop" where you can off load stuff and pick up stuff . If it is obviously beyond use the workers tip it , but they have a team that paint and tidy up some useful items

NanaandGrampy Mon 22-Aug-16 16:57:23

What a brilliant idea Aggie !

kittylester Mon 22-Aug-16 17:15:26

We have a system like that at our dump but we also have a charity which will collect any unwanted furniture (labelled or not) refurbished if necessary using unemployed or disabled people and then sell it on. Mostly to my daughter who distresses it and sells it on. confused

phoenix Mon 22-Aug-16 18:49:06

I have been very lucky with the stuff I have listed on Freecycle, those that have collected items have always expressed their thanks.

Like Aggie our local recycling people have a shop where items are for sale even electrical, once they have been PAT tested.

Charleygirl Mon 22-Aug-16 18:54:11

Somebody wanted 40 coat hangers and I could oblige but he did not bother turning up. An email to say he had changed his mind would have been polite, especially as he was the one requesting the s*****g items!

J52 Mon 22-Aug-16 19:07:32

Recently we had 2 five year old leather sofas to give away. I still had the receipts.

After 3 weeks of making appointments and waiting for the van drivers to turn up, no charity would take them! They were too big! Apparently people in need live in small flats!? The van drivers had orders only to accept certain sizes. In fact one was visibly upset because they were such good items.

Moving day was imminent so DH took the chain saw to them and then went to the tip!
What a waste!

Greyduster Mon 22-Aug-16 20:06:30

We had a similar problem with a G Plan sofa we were getting rid of. It was in superb condition but DH never really liked it and he wanted a leather suite. We phoned up a local hospice charity and they said they would send someone to fetch it. When they arrived the driver said "where's the rest of the suite then?" I said there was no "rest"; there was only a sofa. I never said anything to them about chairs. They wouldn't take it, saying that they would never get rid of just a sofa on its own! I'd never heard such tosh! We advertised it in the post office window as free to a good home and it was gone within a week. No-one asked for the chairs!

Grannyknot Mon 22-Aug-16 20:25:52

'd be irritated too nvella.

I've had very good experiences giving stuff away on Freecycle - people who came to collect (many were Eastern Europeans) were grateful. One woman who scored a leather bucket chair (for her teenage son's bedroom, she said) - returned a few days later with a potted rose plant and said she wanted to thank me again.

In my area there is a very lively and well supported closed Facebook group of Mums of all ages, also Streetlife, where stuff is swopped, borrowed, sold for a fiver or a tenner and it all works very well, it's a very happy, friendly group.

mumofmadboys Mon 22-Aug-16 22:02:04

I have recently used free cycle go give away a cooker and fridge both in good condition. Both recipients were thankful.

hildajenniJ Tue 23-Aug-16 09:07:50

We gave our sofa to a charity that furnishes flats for disadvantaged people. The would only take it if it had all it's fire safety labels though. I've never tried giving anything away, except to relatives.

BPJ Tue 23-Aug-16 09:50:39

A friend put a fridge freezer outside with a notice that said "free to a good home" it stayed there for days, Their son said "put a sign that says £25" it had gone that night..

Chicklette Tue 23-Aug-16 09:51:28

I've had similar experiences with Freecycle. Some people have been really grateful-I remember one young lady who couldn't believe we could give her things for free, she was almost in tears. But others have been awful, not turning up etc. I remember one man who let me down 3 times so I gave the item to someone else, at which point the first man became quite abusive. It's very strange. I've never understood why some people say they want an item then never collect.

But we once had a wonderful experience. We had one Guinea pig left after others had died. We were moving house so decided to try free cycling him. There were some odd responses, but the people who collected him were taking him as a surprise for their daughter and we're thrilled. They sent us photos the girl cuddling the Guinea pig and we were left with a lovely warm feeling ?

ExaltedWombat Tue 23-Aug-16 09:53:40

Freecycle/Freegle are run by a bunch of control freaks. No-shows are frequent. But, hey, I don't want it. I want rid of it. So why should I care if it's going to a deserving case or to a boot sale?
I've furnished my house from Freecycle. I find it amusing when I pick up the Ikea stuff which has been replaced by something 'better' (i.e. more expensive) which turns out to be almost exactly the same :-)

oznan Tue 23-Aug-16 10:16:20

I must be lucky as I have no bad experiences with freecycle.Surprised to read that you could give away a guinea pig chicklette though it ended happily.My 2 local freecycle sites have a strict No Animals policy.
There is a furniture recycling scheme near to me where they collect and restore unwanted furniture,then sell it cheaply to families in need.I wonder if there may be something similar local to you nvella.Might be worth contacting the Salvation Army or a homeless charity to see if they can put you in touch with such a scheme-at least you would know that your items were appreciated.

Witzend Tue 23-Aug-16 10:20:12

Greyduster, that is weird! My dd has 3 lovely sofas from charity shops, none of which came with chairs. The most expensive was £50 - I couldn't believe it, since it's a nice colour, SO comfortable, and long enough to double as an occasional spare bed!

Touch wood other dd will be furnishing a house soon, from scratch, and I know she'll be looking first and foremost in charity shops.

radicalnan Tue 23-Aug-16 10:33:16

The waste we have to cope with is disgusting. Recently had to clear out my dad's place and charities don't want stuff that is perfectly good, even the tip didn't want things. No wonder people resort to fly tipping.

It is a strange world where people would rather be in debt for some blown together stuff than have decent second hand..........but that is where we live now. Planet waste.

annodomini Tue 23-Aug-16 10:36:21

DS1 and DiL have furnished their house from charity shops and Ebay. They wanted to have furniture in character with their Edwardian house and it is. They have huge, ultra-comfy sofas! They even got a lovely fridge/freezer second hand and a range cooker - DS trained as a chef so is quite fussy! He is now turning his hand to buying old furniture and giving them the 'shabby chic' look.

harrigran Tue 23-Aug-16 10:49:38

I had an M&S suite which was in good condition and I couldn't give it away, I had to call the local cleansing department and they just threw it in the back of a dirty wagon. I live in an area that is deemed to be deprived yet no-one was so deprived that they wanted second hand furniture.

jackieok Tue 23-Aug-16 11:07:59

I put a bed settee on freecycle and people seemed really vague regarding picking it up.
I then put it on eBay for 99p and the experience was totally different. Arranged a time to come and came as agreed.

Mumsy Tue 23-Aug-16 11:35:12

I normally donate to my local hospice charity shop but they are very strict in what they are allowed to take these days. Ive never used freecycle but have used friday ad and gumtree and have never had any problems with people not turning up.

Stella14 Tue 23-Aug-16 12:31:00

If you advertise furniture for sale at a lowish price, landlords of furnished properties often want it.

annodomini Tue 23-Aug-16 13:03:20

I once bought a lovely cot second hand for £5 and eventually advertised it for the same sum. No takers. So I re-advertised it for £10 and it went right away.