Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect a tumble dryer in a family seaside property?

(117 Posts)
Witzend Sat 01-Oct-16 13:44:15

Have just got back from a week in a seaside resort in Dorset - 4 adults, one under 2 and a small baby. The property was very nice and in a great location but I'm not sure I'm BU to have expected a tumble drier. The place would sleep 6 plus a cot, in 3 double bedrooms, so you'd think it use mostly be used by families with children.

Th property is rated 4 star, so not one of the cheapest by any means. I will admit I didn't check before booking, but what with a couple of wet days, and just trying to dry all the beach towels, never mind the little ones' things - and DD had brought loads -it was something of a headache without a dryer.

I know some people have strong ecological objections to driers, and in fact I very rarely use mine at home, but I do think it's a bit different when you're on holiday. There were balconies but no washing line, and even if there had been it would frequently have been too damp for it to be any use. There was a drying rack, but it certainly wouldn't take everything and little babygros etc. were still not properly. dry after 2 days. One of the heated racks from Lakeland would have been an awful lot better.

I've just been looking in this holiday let agency's brochure and quite a few of the properties, however many stars, and those sleeping 6 or more, don't come with driers.

IMO this is just cheapskate on the part of the owners. I wouldn't expect it in a smaller place just for a couple of adults, but I'd have thought the agency would advise or specify it for any larger property evidently intended largely for families with children.

willsmadnan Sat 01-Oct-16 13:47:23

Oh dear! Definitely a first world problem, as DD would say !

ninathenana Sat 01-Oct-16 13:48:18

Was there actually a space for tumble dryer?
It's not something I've ever had or indeed expected in a holiday rental.

Greenfinch Sat 01-Oct-16 13:58:04

I don't have one myself and certainly would not expect one in a holiday rental.We did have a heated towel rail in our holiday flat and that was a great boon.

grannyactivist Sat 01-Oct-16 14:02:33

Witzend I understand your frustration, but no, it isn't usual to have a tumble drier in even some very large properties. I regularly go on sea/riverside holidays with extended family and find properties where there is an expectation of water based activities (sailing/windsurfing etc.)are more likely to have a tumble drier, but it's always worth checking the facilities on offer before you book.

Marmight Sat 01-Oct-16 14:32:38

I remember renting a lovely holiday cottage in Wales when DD1 was a baby in 1976. There wasn't even a washing machine and I had to soak the nappies in a bucket and then wash them as best I could the next day in the sink and hang them on a line to dry. Oh dear, how times have changed shockwink

Greyduster Sat 01-Oct-16 14:37:27

I have to say, it's the last thing I look for in a holiday property, but having said that, in the last three properties we have had, there has been one, but we haven't used it. Neither did we use the washing machine. Now a dishwasher - that is a must have.

granjura Sat 01-Oct-16 14:42:43

No I wouldn't expect it. If it is important to you- it's essential you check at the time of booking. It should be listed in the facilities and if not, you could have sent a message to owner/agent.

I use my dryer once in a blue moon.

tanith Sat 01-Oct-16 14:43:46

Yes I think you are being unreasonable. I've never seen a dryer in any of the many places we've stayed over the years apart from where they have a 'drying room' for walkers clothes.

Luckygirl Sat 01-Oct-16 14:49:38

Very few holiday properties have tumble dryers. That's just the way it is.

Eloethan Sat 01-Oct-16 14:53:55

We've never had a tumble drier in our home but I agree that in a holiday property, especially if it's rated 4 star, there really should be a tumble drier.

Elrel Sat 01-Oct-16 15:04:37

No local laundrettes?

Jan51 Sat 01-Oct-16 15:09:44

If we go away for a week I try not to do any washing even when the children or grandchildren were small, it's one of the reasons we like to holiday in the UK so you can take as much as you like and just shove everything in the car. If we are away for longer then I usually go to a local launderette sometime in the middle if the holiday.

DaphneBroon Sat 01-Oct-16 15:44:04

For 4* I would have expected a washer/dryer (but smug git that I am, would have checked first!)

nightowl Sat 01-Oct-16 16:01:45

I have never stayed in a holiday cottage that didn't have a tumble dryer. I thought they all had them. And no, I don't think you are being at all unreasonable considering the price of holiday rentals.

Witzend Sat 01-Oct-16 16:06:58

Yes, I know I should have checked, but I really don't think it's an unreasonable expectation in a property a stone's throw from the beach and a lot of very wet sea! Dh and I were fine - it was the little one's things and damp beach towels that wouldn't dry - we had a barely 18 month old getting her things wet either in puddles or on very damp sand - we couldn't hang on to her every second - and DD had brought STACKS of clothes for her.

I gather you nearly all think IABU but it was quite an expensive property and I still think it's cheap on the owners' part. It's a bit like wifi - unless it's a bargain property most people will expect that nowadays. (Cue for some of you to tell me you wouldn't expect or want it, no doubt!)

And while I'm having a good old moan, I dont know why so many quite expensive holiday properties don't have king size beds when there's plenty of room for them (no complaints on that score this time) or nasty cheap duvets that have evidently been there for years and gone like pancakes.

IMO it's at least partly down to the Brit characteristic of Mustn't Grumble About Anything, even when you're shelling out a lot of money to an owner who thinks you should have what you're given and be humbly grateful to be allowed to stay there at all.

Badenkate Sat 01-Oct-16 16:20:53

To be honest, we rent holiday cottages so we can take the dogs with us, so I usually go for the lower end of the market. Cheap and cheerful and definitely no tumble dryers.

Tegan Sat 01-Oct-16 16:23:44

We have a visitors book and a housekeeping book and ask the gardener to read any comments in the housekeeping book on changeover day so we can rectify any problems. We had a leak from the bathroom to the kitchen one week (got it sorted straight away) and the people staying were fine about it. Another week we had no end of complaints (all actually unjustified) by a family that left the place in a complete mess.This isn't aimed at the OP by the way. I think I would expect a tumble dryer. I insisted that the S.O. put in wifi here, but that was so I could access gransnet and my Coral betting account! Best to contact the lettings people and say there had been a problem.

Luckygirl Sat 01-Oct-16 16:28:39

Perhaps you could feedback your view that a tumble dryer is necessary and your reasons.

Wobblybits Sat 01-Oct-16 16:31:45

No I wouldn't expect one unless it was stated. If I wanted one I would check specifically.

Kateykrunch Sat 01-Oct-16 16:32:09

Why on earth would anyone want or need to do any washing on a one week holiday!!

Ana Sat 01-Oct-16 16:35:02

I would definitely check that there was a tumble dryer if I had young children or a baby.

Of course they weren't usually available in holiday lets when our own children were young, but it would have made life a helluva lot easier if they had been!

ffinnochio Sat 01-Oct-16 16:40:35

Did you mention it to the owners/agency, so that they might be able to explain/rectify for other users? There is always Trip Advisor to grumble on, as well.

jenpax Sat 01-Oct-16 16:58:51

Personally I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a tumble dryer on a beach holiday especially with very young children! Drying wet towels can be a nightmare and little ones get wet and dirty a lot! On the subject of UK holiday rentals they are all ridiculously expensive and you often spend as much on a week in one as you would on a holiday plus flights to Europe!

tanith Sat 01-Oct-16 17:12:07

jenpax what you say may be true but not everyone can/wants to fly so don't have much choice but to pay up. I've done both for many years and never have I felt the need of a tumble dryer or washing machine.

Anyway if its warm enough to get towels wet on the beach then the towels should dry quick enough, we just hang them up on the back of our chairs or even lay them out on the warm sand/pebbles/rocks whatever is near to hand.