Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think Chemo patients should not be pestered.

(31 Posts)
kassi Fri 02-Nov-12 13:51:22

Went with a friend for her Chemo session. A chap who was a spititual healer, wearing a chaplaincy badge, was approaching, one by one, everyone who was having chemo treatment, asking if they wanted a session with him,(there and then) saying " It'll only take 10 minutes, what have you got to lose?" Am I being unreasonable in thinking that people having Chemo are at their most vulnerable, and should not be approached in this way.

Nelliemoser Fri 02-Nov-12 14:05:25

That is appalling.The hospital staff should have asked her in advance and in privacy if she wished to speak to him.

harrigran Fri 02-Nov-12 14:08:02

I think it is most insensitive, what were the hospital thinking ?

JessM Fri 02-Nov-12 14:09:18

I am utterly horrified kassi .
Wicked!
There are an awful lot of people rushing around pretending to be "healers" of one kind or another and sometime taking money from vulnerable people.
Next week are they going to have a parade of rabbis, priests and imam's all offering to do their bit for people who have not asked for their attention????
I thought in hospital you specified your religion and unless you admitted to belonging to one, you would not be bothered.
I think the staff, if they are so deluded as to think this is a good idea, should ask people and not let this spooky character loose in the chemo area. Apart from anything else - how do we know he has had his flu jab!!!!!
And yes IT CAN DO HARM if it convinces people that spiritual nonsense will work so that they give up their course of chemo.
If that ever happened to me or a relative I would be writing a very stiff letter of complaint.

Mishap Fri 02-Nov-12 14:21:58

I am very surprised indeed that this activity had been sanctioned by the hospital chaplaincy. I worked in hospitals for a large part of my career and at our local hospital the chaplain was great - liberal-minded, caring - a cheerful and sensitive visitor to the patients, religious or otherwise. He got my vote, agnostic that I am.

He would never have sanctioned this and it is quite quite wrong. I think that you could reasonably make your own complaint about this even if you friend would prefer not to get involved.

whenim64 Fri 02-Nov-12 14:28:34

I would complain. If he had turned up when my sister was having chemo, he'd have got the sharp end of her tongue, and if I'd been there, he would have heard my choicest Anglo-Saxon swear words!

kassi Fri 02-Nov-12 14:30:20

Thankyou. I just needed other opinions, as I was an 'onlooker' so to speak. The Chemo treatment room has about 20 people having life saving treatment at any one time. They are seriously ill and vulnerable. I personally was appalled. My friend declined, but others seemed to agree to this man 'ministering' to them. It's not the fact that he was a spititual healer that bugged me, it's the fact that he was allowed to approach people. I really want to complain, but its not in my nature to 'make a fuss'.

soop Fri 02-Nov-12 15:14:27

kassi There are times when making a "fuss" is to your credit. I suggest that this is one such occasion.

tanith Fri 02-Nov-12 16:08:55

Rather than 'make a fuss' in the chemo unit maybe you could speak to someone in the PALS office , every hospital should have one they will raise your concerns with the relevant unit or with hospital management.

vampirequeen Fri 02-Nov-12 16:15:13

That's appalling. The last thing I'd want is some healer trying to mess with me.

granjura Fri 02-Nov-12 16:22:09

Appaling. I would actually contact the head chaplain at the hospital and make formal complaint- or the Friends of the Hospital. It is totally unacceptable to pray on people like, when they are at their most vulnerable.

jeni Fri 02-Nov-12 16:29:17

Not criticising jura but was that a pun on prey?

GrannyHaggis Fri 02-Nov-12 18:23:51

I think he might have got a two word answer from my OH if he'd approached him during his chemo session. Second word rhymes with cough!Doesn't even make eye contact with anyone else if possible (apart from nursing staff). Takes his book, settles himself down and waits patiently for the drugs to be administered and absorbed in his system.
I think that anyone making approaches to people undergoing treatment is appalling and it should not be allowed under any circumstances.What are the hospital authorities thinking of ?
It may be giving people false hope of a cure and it also undermines the treatment that those patients are receiving. If conventional medicine can't cure you, then try mine!
Are other religious representatives allowed to go round the treatment room as well?

Ana Fri 02-Nov-12 18:35:41

Just a thought here. Although I strongly agree that patients should not be approached or pestered in this way, the fact that this man was offering 'healing' suggests to me that it was probably something such as reiki, whose practitioners never claim to be able to 'cure' any illness, just provide relaxing therapy.

whenim64 Fri 02-Nov-12 19:00:24

My sister had both reiki and reflexology, but never in the middle of her chemo sessions. hmm

Ana Fri 02-Nov-12 19:01:13

Yes, the 'there and then' bit is strange...

granjura Fri 02-Nov-12 19:01:36

jeni, lol - I is a furiner - so I make mistakes, thanks though wink

Faye Fri 02-Nov-12 19:42:49

kassi I think his choice of words 'what have you got to lose' was insensitive. Letting the hospital know this man is pestering people surely is not making a fuss. I would have gone straight to the reception desk and asked what this was about. Is he going to be there at every appointment bothering people. Next will they have people collecting donations.

JessM Fri 02-Nov-12 19:50:11

I think ana that kind of "healing" would not be offered under the remit of a chaplaincy badge.

jeni Fri 02-Nov-12 20:39:19

jura I thought it might be a very clever pun!

Ana Fri 02-Nov-12 20:43:25

Jess, yes I agree, I'm actually quite puzzled about a 'spiritual healer' wearing a chaplaincy badge? Was it just that he was authorised by the chaplain to be there?

granjura Fri 02-Nov-12 21:04:40

jeni, I do wish I'd thought of it. It would have been quite good - but sadly, no!

jeni Fri 02-Nov-12 21:22:02

Oh well!
Actually, some people do think this sort of thing helps! But it should NOT be offered during a chemo session!

Deedaa Fri 02-Nov-12 21:39:31

If it had happened while my husband was being treated someone would have been punched and it wouldn't have been my husband!

Ana Fri 02-Nov-12 21:47:17

confused