Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be just a bit annoyed about the Sun again ?

(35 Posts)
GrannyTwice Tue 29-Jul-14 12:44:30

m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/5629308?1406627981

And yes, I know the parents are dreadful to allow it but the Sun cares nothing for that poor boy. Anyone reading the extracts from Nick Davies' book this week about what drives Murdoch?

Terrafirma1 Tue 29-Jul-14 12:49:09

Just a bit annoyed ? How much lower into the gutter can the gutter press sink? angry

GrannyTwice Tue 29-Jul-14 12:55:09

Oh come on TF- where's your sense of humour, it's just a joke, don't get so heated about it, calm down, watch your blood pressure, don't let's have an argument, let's have a balanced debate - right, that should have saved some of you some time today.

GrannyTwice Tue 29-Jul-14 12:56:57

Oh and the answer to your question TF - there are NO depths to which this rag cannot sink. But hey ho, just a joke , doesn't matter.....

Terrafirma1 Tue 29-Jul-14 12:59:48

Heated, moi? At the exploitation of a kid by 1) his mother, presumably The Sun made it worth her while and 2) by an ignorant, circulation-seeking at any cost rag? Never!

Galen Tue 29-Jul-14 13:11:26

More likely something metal that got hot in 'the sun' and slightly burnt him.

Iam64 Tue 29-Jul-14 13:18:02

I don't want to stop us all having a laugh at this entertaining article. There are indeed no depths and yes, I did read the extracts from Nick Davies' book. The image it paints of lifestyles and journalistic behaviour on Murdoch's watch were shocking, if unsurprising. Total lack of responsibility to anything other than increasing circulation

This is a story that raises concern about a child - what's funny about it.

sunseeker Tue 29-Jul-14 14:11:40

I am concerned that this child will grow up being pointed out as different " he has the mark of the devil". What were his parents thinking, making a spectacle of him, they should have just made sure it wasn't causing him any pain and then ignored it. As was mentioned in the article, it is probably a hairdryer burn or as Galen said something metal that got hot in the sun.

GrannyTwice Tue 29-Jul-14 14:23:27

When some of us try and take seriously the open sewer that is the Sun ( available free through your very own letter box and on the racks in M&S, Waitrose et al al for you to see), there are others that think it's of no import and we shouldn't be so serious about it. This example today tells us everything we need to know and then some. That poor child... Exploited by his parents and one of the wealthiest, most powerful people in the media who is feted and feared by politicians of all parties ( no actually the lib dems are pretty clean on this issue). What's not to like?

ninathenana Tue 29-Jul-14 14:32:57

I'm confused the OP complains about the rag and the article, rightly so IMHO then tells the person who replied to calm down it's just a joke. Isn't that contradicting yourself???

shalamar Tue 29-Jul-14 14:38:13

The Sun - yes, ridiculous first page. Not like there is nothing else going on in the world. But the mother? What was she thinking? Firstly it looks exactly like a hairdryer burn not the "mark of the devil." Secondly, consistent with that - it faded (shock!) and disappeared. I liked the tweet featured in the Huffington post article where someone had written 666 on their arm and said - oh no the sign of the devil has suddenly appeared on my arm. Sums it up really. Stupid non story. The sun should be ashamed but mostly the mother should hang her head for exploiting her poor, perfectly normal, child in this way and branding him for life. The things people will do for 15 minutes of fame without regard to the cost for their families.

(hopefully posted in the right place now)

GrannyTwice Tue 29-Jul-14 14:43:45

Oh dear Nina- I'm sorry - it was what is known as a pre-emptive strike. When I last started a thread about the disgrace that is the Sun several posters posted all those don't take it so seriously, calm down dear type of comments so I just thought that this time I'd get in first and save them the effort. Poor TF was first in the firing line of some misfired sarcasm. However, I am making two serious points - one about the Sun and one about the predilections of some posters who criticise strong views and feelings being expressed with nasty little put downs. Anyone who reads my posts must know that I couldn't possibly ever ever joke about the Sun or about that dreadful exploitation of a poor child

ninathenana Tue 29-Jul-14 14:51:48

All is clear now GrannyTwice smile

Nelliemoser Tue 29-Jul-14 14:53:56

That is disgusting. I saw this headline in the supermarket paper stand this morning.

If that information had landed on my patch, I would be getting children's services to talk to the parents PDQ!
Mother seem to be the one to suggest the "satanic" connection! It makes me very afraid for this poor child. Are these parents out to make quick buck out of this press coverage?

Think the Shannon Mathews Kidnap! What are they about?

It does looks like a hair dryer mark. I hope it was a photo just taken quickly after applying pressure and it was not a burn.
I feels disgusted that the parents went to the press and made remarks about "satanic" marks and that the Sun decided to publish it.

They are exploiting the mother and the child. The paper itself should have referred this back to the home area Children's services.

GrannyTwice Tue 29-Jul-14 15:02:25

Love the idea Nellie that the Sun would ever ever ever do anything as public spirited as that!! Unless there was of course something in it for them....

Nelliemoser Tue 29-Jul-14 15:23:27

Grannytwice I have posted above about this.

Read also the twitter comments underneath the Huffington Posts story. They define well why this is so damaging for this child.

Mum is alleged to have said
"A sinister Satan sign that mysteriously appeared on a four-year-old boy is proving a devil to explain," the story starts, accompanied by a picture of Samuel Jones, and his stony-faced mother, Sharon.

"Shocked" Sharon reveals her horror that her young child has clearly been cursed by some evil spirit, rather than, perhaps, there being a more plausible explanation for the mark.

"Just looking at it made me shake thinking something unnatural had visited my boy," the mother said.

"Something or someone made the sign on him but we just can't explain how."

MiceElf Tue 29-Jul-14 16:22:42

The cess pit of foul ordure that is the Sun is stinking every place where its print pollutes and degrades all those who are unfortunate enough to cast their eyes on it.

Lilygran Tue 29-Jul-14 16:41:35

I wish you wouldn't be so mealy-mouthed, MiceElf.

bookdreamer Tue 29-Jul-14 16:45:44

MiceElf. What a wonderfully constructed sentence and great use of brilliantly descriptive words!

florencef1 Tue 29-Jul-14 16:48:22

Couldn't believe it when I saw it on the stand in the supermarket. What is the Editor thinking ? Complete lack of responsibility.

HollyDaze Tue 29-Jul-14 17:49:07

They give the mother's full name, the boy's full name, show a photo of his mother but blank his face out confused - he is going to be the butt of all jokes now thanks to his mother and that paper making sure those that live around them or go to the same school as the boy will know exactly who he is.

Nonu Tue 29-Jul-14 18:04:16

Social services should investigate.

Not that they are a lot of good !

Ana Tue 29-Jul-14 18:27:19

They didn't blank the boy's face out in the online article I read, HollyDaze!

Ana Tue 29-Jul-14 18:30:51

(In the Sun, I mean - the Huffington Post must have decided to do that in their own article)

Iam64 Tue 29-Jul-14 18:32:11

Nonu, your'e right, children's services should, and no doubt will, investigate. You may feel social workers aren't a lot of good, but maybe that's because you are aware of cases that have gone horribly wrong, and not about the ones that succeed in helping children and families change damaging ways of living.