Gransnet forums

AIBU

To wish ATOS would leave me alone

(139 Posts)
vampirequeen Tue 26-Aug-14 21:03:40

I've had yet another invitation summons to attend a 'prove you're ill' inquisition.

I phoned them but became ill on the phone so my DH spoke to them. Although it was obvious that I was relapsing rapidly during the conversation they said I would still have to attend. My GP has faxed them saying that I am not capable of attending and that if they wanted to question me they'd have to visit me at home. Now we have to wait to see what they decide. Will they come to torture me in my own home or will they, like last time, leave me alone for a few more months?

Whatever they decide they've caused a relapse. Thanks ATOS.

Galen Tue 26-Aug-14 21:53:03

Won't be ATOS I'd have thought, as I thought they'd given up the contract.
Write to your MP.
Get your GP to write a really strong letter

Aka Tue 26-Aug-14 22:54:00

How often do these invitations arrive?

durhamjen Tue 26-Aug-14 23:29:00

According to their website, Atos still do PIP assessments.
The nearest one to me is in Bannatyne's Health Club!

Deedaa Tue 26-Aug-14 23:42:35

They are just beyond words vampirequeen 30 years ago my cousin with MS was forced to crawl up a flight of steps to prove she couldn't walk up them and things are still as bad today! Have you tried your MP - although if he's like ours he'll be a waste of time.

durhamjen Wed 27-Aug-14 00:04:52

Do you go on false economy website, Vampirequeen?
You can give your story there. At least you know you are not alone, although it can sometimes be depressing.

Soutra Wed 27-Aug-14 11:12:52

3 years ago DH won his appeal agsinst ATOS at tribznallargely thsnks to guidance and advice from.galen for which I will be eternally grateful! But akso a letter from his consultant stating in no uncertain terms that his illness cannot be cured or treated by any conventional therapy other than another transplant for which he would no longer be cosidered in view of his considerable other health issues. Not happy reading but you would have expected that to shut them up. Huh! 2 weeks later he developed an infection( something or other megalovirus followed by pneumonia ?)which led to him being in 3 different hospitals over a period of 3 months. Blow me if ATOS didn't send us another questionnaire to fill in re what he could do as they were assessing him as "fit for work". As he was flat on his back, on IV antibiotics and needing full nursing care I filled it in for him pulling no punches. I also rang and told them what I thought of them and we never heard from them again.

durhamjen Wed 27-Aug-14 11:27:51

Is your story on False Economy website, Soutra. It should be. They need as much ammunition as they can get to put before the government.

Galen Wed 27-Aug-14 11:58:53

My understanding is that they are no longer doing reassessment exams. The backlog they have is horrendous.
Is this for ESA or DLA or PIP?
Pm me if you want any more help.

Galen Wed 27-Aug-14 12:02:00

If it's just a questionnaire , I suspect they are automatically generated by the COMPUTER without any human interference instigation.
Contrary to belief, there is NOT intelligence on both sides of the screen!

durhamjen Wed 27-Aug-14 12:34:19

According to this link the Atos contract ends altogether in 2015.

weownit.org.uk/blog/secret-government-contracts-stop-citizens-knowing-if-outsourcing-works

I do not think they have said yet who takes over from them. Perhaps if we sign enough epetitions we can get it back to the owners, Us!

Galen Wed 27-Aug-14 12:52:21

They haven't. Also because of the (very long) delay that happens before the mandatory reconsideration. No appeals are getting through and no one who has been initially refused is being seen at appeal.
Unlike in the past, no money is paid in ESA until the appeal is lodged, and that can't happen until after the mandatory reconsideration.
Scuttle butt says :- no one will be given the contract until after the election.
That is assuming they can find someone to do it.
If they do, I assume they'll be employing the same people to do the examinations?
The whole system needs re-appraising. It's a mess!angry

durhamjen Wed 27-Aug-14 13:02:49

A good reason for signing up to this.

weownit.org.uk/people-not-profit

Iam64 Wed 27-Aug-14 19:45:08

So sorry about this vampirequeen.

vampirequeen Wed 27-Aug-14 20:50:08

Thanks everyone. I have to admit I was feeling very low when I posted but you've all buoyed me up a bit.

Thanks for the offer of help, Galen. I'm crossing my fingers that my GP's fax telling them I'll be incapable of dealing with the interrogation at their choice of venue and, if they insist on grilling me it has to take place at my home. Not that a nice building would make any difference but they do all their interrogations in a concrete box with bars on the windows and an airlock entrance situated in one of the most frightening areas of the city. I hope they can't be bothered to visit me and leave me alone for a while longer.

emilie Wed 27-Aug-14 20:53:31

What is ATOS,please?

durhamjen Wed 27-Aug-14 23:13:11

ATOS is a private company that thinks it is capable of running our public services. Unfortunately the government thinks it is, too, and gives it lots of contracts.
This is what it does to ordinary people who are disabled or unemployed, etc.
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2014/06/19/trapped-in-a-bureaucratic-nightmare-as-money-runs-out-the-re&sa=U&ei=NVf-U6hux5Vqu4SC2AU&ved=0CAkQFjAC&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNH7bWeChk08cy7kgGn2RtLFuZ-i8A

durhamjen Thu 28-Aug-14 00:10:48

Hang on in there Vampirequeen. The UN might come to your rescue.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2735958/UN-sparks-fury-launching-human-rights-investigation-Britain-s-treatment-disabled.html

You do realise that's a DM link I've given. Washing my mouth out with wine.

emilie Thu 28-Aug-14 15:48:12

Thank you,Durhamjen.

HollyDaze Thu 28-Aug-14 16:12:06

30 years ago my cousin with MS was forced to crawl up a flight of steps to prove she couldn't walk up them

Disgraceful - that saddens me so much, they can't even allow a person to retain a shred of dignitysad

HollyDaze Thu 28-Aug-14 16:24:18

Tory MP Michael Ellis said: ‘This politically motivated loony left decision brings the UN organisation in to disrepute.

No, it doesn't Mr Ellis. It tells the British people that someone is looking out for them - especially important given the amount of cuts and pressures being applied to the poorest members of society whilst leaving the richest virtually untouched.

durhamjen Thu 30-Oct-14 14:08:34

I wrote above that Atos had given up the contract to run the DWP contract.

weownit.org.uk/blog/secret-government-contracts-stop-citizens-knowing-if-outsourcing-works

However, it now seems that the contract has been given to an American company instead of the French company Atos. This is by the government that does not like foreigners. Why does it not like British companies.

Deedaa Thu 30-Oct-14 21:25:12

I may just be getting old and past it, but I just can't see howcontracts can be given to foreign companies when there must be people in this country that could do it. How does it make economic sense? An American company presumably expects to make a profit from it - why can't that money go to a British company!

Sorry! I will keep trying to apply logic confused

Ana Thu 30-Oct-14 21:31:23

Maximus has been involved in several scandals in its native US — from mishandling public money to alleged falsification of health insurance claims, apparently!

Frying pan and fire spring to mind...hmm

Galen Thu 30-Oct-14 22:05:14

Durham
This is the first I've heard of this.
Can you give me the source please.
I only heard today that appeals are unlikely to return to normal for at least two years.