Gransnet forums

AIBU

New Year resolutions. Worth it or waste of time?

(29 Posts)
papaoscar Sat 20-Dec-14 07:18:19

Any early thoughts?

Grannyknot Sat 20-Dec-14 07:26:52

Do people still make NY resolutions? I thought this had strayed from the "things you no longer see" thread ...

thatbags Sat 20-Dec-14 08:20:50

Nope. No early thoughts. There won't be any late thoughts either. However, if I need to resolve something by changing my behaviour, then I do so.

I think the NY resolution 'tradition' is a guilt-pusher.

ninathenana Sat 20-Dec-14 10:04:39

My early thoughts....

Complete waste of time tchgrin

Oldgreymare Sat 20-Dec-14 10:08:12

Well, being a member of the 'started but never finished club' ( knitting projects etc) and on the grounds that I WILL make a start but won't manage a whole year......
I am planning a dry January smile

Marmight Sat 20-Dec-14 11:02:24

NY resolutions never last with me - like most other things - so perhaps a mid-year resolution or two?

Eloethan Sun 21-Dec-14 00:03:15

I think making resolutions at New Year puts pressure on people to achieve them at what might not be the most opportune moment.

I feel it is much better to resolve to do/not do something when you are in a "good place" emotionally. To try and give something up, for instance, when you're feeling stressed or depressed may well lead to failure and reinforce feelings of powerlessness.

Also I think some people tend to set themselves targets that are too high. For instance, why not moderate a particular behaviour rather than try to eliminate it?

crun Sun 21-Dec-14 00:07:02

This is an amusing graph.

Jane10 Sun 21-Dec-14 16:18:43

Why? Don't understand?

crun Sun 21-Dec-14 16:59:16

Notice the huge surge in interest in the word diet at the beginning of every new year. smile

crun Sun 21-Dec-14 17:04:41

And slimming, and quitting smoking, and exercise. grin

rosequartz Sun 21-Dec-14 19:03:37

I kept to the one I made 42 years ago - to stop smoking.
It's no good resolving to diet from the 1st January as there will still be some goodies left over, so 1st February would be more realistic imo. tchwink

rosequartz Sun 21-Dec-14 19:05:19

For instance, why not moderate a particular behaviour rather than try to eliminate it?
I think you can moderate the way you eat, but with smoking I think it is all or nothing.

Ana Sun 21-Dec-14 19:15:08

Yes, all or nothing as regards eating would be rather too drastic! tchgrin

durhamjen Sun 21-Dec-14 22:39:45

I went to the GP's surgery on Friday, and was very annoyed by the implication on the screen that one glass of wine a day makes you an alcoholic. So I resolve not to give up wine in January.

rosequartz Sun 21-Dec-14 22:51:04

For instance, why not moderate a particular behaviour rather than try to eliminate it? although a 3 day fast might help me in the New Year tchgrin

Well done, djen - a good resolution.
Does drinking wine count as a fast?

rosequartz Sun 21-Dec-14 22:52:10

What happened there? I meant to copy this:
Yes, all or nothing as regards eating would be rather too drastic!

New Year resolution: must concentrate more.

Iam64 Mon 22-Dec-14 08:54:08

durhamjen - I'm with you on the one glass of wine a day issue. Medication means I can't have more than one, so for years now, I've had one some time in the early evening. I know it's daft, but it somehow compensates for never being able to get a bit tidily along with everyone else smile

appygran Mon 22-Dec-14 11:17:50

I kept the one I made 3 years ago to cut out chocolate and have lost three stones along the way. Generally though I do not make new year resolutions and will not be making any this year. I make changes as and when I need to, but do not always keep to them.

Knowsley Mon 22-Dec-14 17:58:16

I found giving things up on New Year's Day wasn't very successful as I was usually recovering from the New Year's Eve celebrations. So I switched mine to my birthday which is in mid-January. I would tell myself I was doing it as a present to myself and found it much more successful.

nonnanna Tue 23-Dec-14 08:00:34

appygran You cut out chocolate three years ago and lost three stone! That was some resolution, however did you keep it? I would have been on my knees begging for it...chocolate I mean! Totally agree with those on here, change things when you realise they need changing and moderation sounds so much easier than elimination. Now.... where did I put the Maltesers?

appygran Tue 23-Dec-14 15:51:31

Yep nonnanna - I am a chocoholic and have not had a fix for three years. Difficult initially, I craved chocolate all the time but feel so much better now.

Gracesgran Thu 01-Jan-15 12:48:03

I do find myself reviewing the past and looking at the future at this time of year but I rarely come to any momentous conclusions.

hildajenniJ Thu 01-Jan-15 13:52:06

Can't keep resolutions, and by mutual agreement DH and I gave up the 5:2 diet over the Christmas and New Year period. We are starting again when the last of our house guests arrive and depart next week.

soontobe Thu 01-Jan-15 13:59:52

I think that the occasional new years resolution is a good idea.
So long as it is accompanied by enough self will.
A half hearted resolution is no good at all.