Gransnet forums

AIBU

To stop the traffic at the station this morning ?

(91 Posts)
GrannyTwice Wed 18-Mar-15 08:15:21

I clearly live in a very disadvantaged part of the country (Surrey ) since you ask. The adult literacy rates of the rail station users is appalling. A great many of them cannot read and understand 'this parking space for the use of blue badge holders only'. They appear to misread it as 'a very useful space if you want to wait to pick someone up, pop in to buy your rail ticket or get train information'. When I arrived at the station this morning all bb spaces were occupied and only one had a bb. So I parked my car in the middle of the road blocking the exit from the station, went into the ticket hall and asked very loudly whose cars were parked outside in the bb spaces without a badge. Meanwhile taxi drivers etc were tooting their horns ( they are one of the serial offenders). After a while an embarrassed looking man went to move one of the cars. I offered him literacy lessons but did point out that if he couldn't read, maybe he shouldn't be driving and that he certainly should be able to understand symbols. Apologies to those of you who perceive this as a 'poor me' post - I nearly felt sorry for the --uneducated selfish git--poor bloke. I will now await a wealth of posts about misuse of blue badges. Direct action is very empowering I have to say.

Lona Wed 18-Mar-15 08:27:15

Good for you GrannyTwice a kick up the backside is what these inconsiderate idiots need!

Mamardoit Wed 18-Mar-15 08:27:53

You were unreasonable to stop all the traffic. A case of two wrongs don't make a right.

vampirequeen Wed 18-Mar-15 08:31:35

Fantastic. Brilliant move.

kittylester Wed 18-Mar-15 08:34:21

Well done you!!

I used to carry a pile of notices politely pointing out the inappropriate parking of some drivers - I must print some more!! Where we live the worst offence is parking half on the pavement so 'the road is left clear for traffic!'. Never mind that people have to brave the traffic because the path is impassable! And don't get me started on people who park on zigzag lines!! angry

GrannyTwice Wed 18-Mar-15 08:36:16

Well Mama - here was the alternative. Drive to the main car park, find a space, walk with pain and difficulty( poor me) back to the ticket office. Miss my train, be late for work, inconvenience and upset a group of people . Now I know exactly where to park to cause the maximum inconvenience, I shall employ the tactic again.

GrannyTwice Wed 18-Mar-15 08:38:21

I like the idea of notices - can anyone recommend an adhesive so it would take ages to scrape it off the windscreen ? You think I'm joking?

Marmight Wed 18-Mar-15 08:41:12

Well done Grannytwice [Flowers]. As my Mum would have quoted "You are a braver man than I Gunga Din' !

Marmight Wed 18-Mar-15 08:41:42

flowers

Mamardoit Wed 18-Mar-15 08:50:26

If you were just blocking in the thoughtless cheats in that would be ok. You imply you were blocking all station users. The passengers in the taxi are entitled to go about their business surely.

annsixty Wed 18-Mar-15 08:50:58

A few tears ago when the nearest Sainsbury's was a small and busy store with limited parking they had very adhesive stickers about parking with consideration for disabled drivers and they were very effective.

soontobe Wed 18-Mar-15 08:57:20

Good for you.

thatbags Wed 18-Mar-15 09:08:45

High five, GT! Well done you sunshine

thatbags Wed 18-Mar-15 09:12:37

Sounds good, annsixty. When I lived in Oxfordshire I used to attach small stickers to cars parked on pavements. The sticker read: "Pavements are for Pedestrians". It's very annoying to have to walk round a car on the road side because their drivers haven't left you enough room to pass on the pavement. And it's exceedingly annoying when you're with small children or pushing a pram.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 18-Mar-15 09:26:46

Not a 'poor me' thread at all. Your actions were very you.

Have you taken this illegal parking up with the police, senior rail officials, your local MP, at all?

Gorilla tape.

ffinnochio Wed 18-Mar-15 09:31:29

Blocking works wonders doesn't it, GT! Great move.

Anya Wed 18-Mar-15 09:37:22

Respect!

annodomini Wed 18-Mar-15 09:56:13

I'm all for direct action, GT. Nice work!

Lapwing Wed 18-Mar-15 10:01:03

Love it - good for you. Hopefully that driver has learnt his lesson.

loopylou Wed 18-Mar-15 10:14:27

Well done GT, I'm right behind you on this. My very elderly parents have a blue badge and it's a nightmare trying to park when I take out my blind 91 year old father and an 88 year old mum who's crippled by arthritis and heart disease.
I fume when I see perfectly able-bodied younger people hop out of their cars and run into the supermarket without displaying a blue card. The same goes for those without children hogging parent & child parking spaces.
I hope the selfishgit individual was suitably publically shamed!

loopylou Wed 18-Mar-15 10:18:59

A friend of mine got some wonderful stickies to put on cars that parked too close for her to get her wheelchair out the back of her clearly marked car. They went along the lines of 'if you have to park so b..... close, I'll leave a can opener for you next time' grin
Many times she's had to abort a visit to, or been unable to get back in her car, at shops, doctors, hospital etc because someone has parked inconsiderately.

tiggypiro Wed 18-Mar-15 10:42:54

Three cheers for you GT ! I hope in a similar situation I would have the courage to do the same.

Jane10 Wed 18-Mar-15 11:24:24

Well done! Direct brave action! Yes you may have caused mayhem to others but it will have brought the situation to the attention of the staff at the station. All I can manage is to stare and tut at transgressors parking in disabled spaces. I've had some pretty aggressive responses from them too sad.

janerowena Wed 18-Mar-15 11:37:47

My daughter, with two young children, now carries chalk with her at all times. She writes on the ground behind offending cars parked without child seats. She says it may not do much to help but it certainly relieves her stress.

KatyK Wed 18-Mar-15 11:43:52

Well done. Nothing to do with parking but when I was working, I sometimes used to get the bus home with an elderly lady who lives in my road (she was in her late 80s then). We were under the shelter in the bus stop one day, when a very unkempt, rough looking young man came in smoking a cigarette. This lady said to him 'Can you read?' 'Yes' he replied. She said 'what does that sign say?' He said 'No smoking in the bus shelter'. 'Well?' she said and he slunk out into the rain. A braver person than me smile She is still going out and about now at 92.