Gransnet forums

AIBU

Not to want to be blessed all the time

(130 Posts)
rosesarered Wed 22-Apr-15 21:50:15

Today, My friendly manicurist said "aww, bless"at me several times as we were chatting.Later, a shop assistant also said the same thing because I thanked her for helping me pack. I must be looking old or something.I feel bemused more than anything though, is this the latest thing that twenty-something's say to customers?

Soutra Wed 22-Apr-15 21:56:10

Patronising or what? I would be angry too!

janerowena Wed 22-Apr-15 21:59:16

Older than that, my SiL says it about everything and anyone, she is 50! 'Aw, Bless!' is said several times an hour. I have heard it from people of all ages.

Ana Wed 22-Apr-15 22:02:49

I hate that word when it's just used as you describe, roses!

I hear it quite often in response to someone's comment about what their child has done or achieved - 'aww, bless!' YUK...hmm

(Is it a contraction of 'bless you/him/her' etc? Lazy speech, if so)

Tegan Wed 22-Apr-15 22:08:44

Same here; makes me feel as if the person who says it thinks I'm feeble minded in some way sad.

annodomini Wed 22-Apr-15 22:13:00

I can't stand it - it sounds so utterly insincere coming from someone who hardly knows you or the children in the photograph you're showing. It's a lazy way of showing appreciation.

Leticia Wed 22-Apr-15 22:14:10

It is one thing that really irritates me too. It is very patronising.

thatbags Wed 22-Apr-15 22:24:21

I find it irritating to hear and wouldn't use it myself but I can't be arsed to do anything so energetic as to hate it. It's a wince and move on thing with me.

janeainsworth Thu 23-Apr-15 04:07:07

I think it's a pity when the word is used in the way described, because if someone says 'Bless you' and it is used in the old way, to mean 'may Gid bless you' and sincerely meant, it is the nicest and most gracious way of thanking someone - by wishing that they will receive God's blessings or gifts.

Jane10 Thu 23-Apr-15 08:00:13

I was once walking down the street with some learning disabled people that I was working with when a nun stopped us and proceeded to subject us to a prolonged blessing. None of us knew what to say or do! Eventually I just sais thanks and we walked on. Can't say any of felt the better of it!

baubles Thu 23-Apr-15 08:09:05

My darling grandmother used to say 'May god bless you and keep you' when speaking to someone who had been sharing their troubles. I always thought it was lovely although I'm not a believer, but that was probably down to her warmth and complete sincerity.

janeainsworth Thu 23-Apr-15 08:09:54

That wasn't quite the situation I had in mind, Jane10!

annodomini Thu 23-Apr-15 08:31:52

baubles, your grandmother was pronouncing a benediction which was sincerely meant. I don't mind if someone says 'bless you' when I sneeze because that's a tradition.

Elegran Thu 23-Apr-15 08:58:25

There is a vast difference between "God bless you" to someone who has been speaking of their troubles and is in need of a spot of divine blessing (whether or not you think God is real) and a shallow "Bless!" as usually said indulgently about (not to) a child who has said something endearingly innocent. Yes, patronised is how I would feel if it were said of me.

Teetime Thu 23-Apr-15 09:55:08

DD uses it in an ironic way probably as a reaction to its overuse. I don't hear it much in these parts we are still on Alright Ducks here.

KatyK Thu 23-Apr-15 10:01:49

My DD says it to me all the time but when her own DD says it to her she says 'don't be so patronising' confused

Jane10 Thu 23-Apr-15 10:59:17

janeainsworth I felt quite unprepared for it as I was never taught the etiquette for being a blessee rather than a blesser!
I was very fed up once when I heard my DD's former MIL saying as I approached "Here comes your mother. Bless her". I felt as though I was not the full shilling!

Tegan Thu 23-Apr-15 11:19:09

Someone I worked with used to say it to me all the time and I used to immediately feel 10 years older sad.

sara4 Thu 23-Apr-15 12:15:49

I don't like "enjoy" as my food is placed in front of me. Is it an instruction? Have I got to enjoy it, or else!

annodomini Thu 23-Apr-15 12:25:02

sara4, I agree about this intrasitive use of 'enjoy'. When and why did this enter the language? And what's wrong with saying, 'Enjoy your meal'?

Agus Thu 23-Apr-15 12:40:06

Aw bless is one of the sickliest phrases being used more often. I have never had is said to me and very rarely hear it but when I do, I just cringe.

I don't mind, 'enjoy your meal' being shortened to 'enjoy' if it is said with sincerity but when it is said off hand, I ignore it.

numberplease Thu 23-Apr-15 15:40:02

I must be very unusual, as I don`t mind, or find it patronising, if anyone says "bless you" to me, as long as it`s said in a friendly way. It`s better than when our horrible neighbour said to me "shut up, you stupid old cow!", when I asked him to not use bad language in front of my then 3 year old grandson.

Marelli Thu 23-Apr-15 19:07:45

Oh dear, number - I know I shouldn't have sniggered when I read that, but it's just the way you 'said' it! blush
I don't mind people saying 'bless you' to me, either, if they feel I've helped out in some way, but don't go for that "awww, bless!" hmm

Ana Thu 23-Apr-15 19:18:25

Exactly, Marelli - nothing wrong with 'Bless you', sincerely meant, just not that syrupy 'bless...'

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 19:25:12

Exactly, Ana, it's the 'Awww, bless!'
I wouldn't mind a normal blessing from any source, though I may be a bit surprised.As Numberplease says, it's better than a curse.
The bless you thing is fine if you sneeze also.