Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that changing a child's nappy on an airline seat is antisocial?

(62 Posts)
Stansgran Wed 27-May-15 15:28:13

I was nonplussed when a woman in the same row on the opposite side of the plane to me ( two rows of three seats) stood up to get something out of the top lockers. She had taken off the child's nappy and sat her on the seat with nothing to protect the seat . She then spent a good few minutes rooting about in bags looking for a nappy.the poor man at the end of the row was kept standing until she had changed the child. I always assumed that this was possible in the loos on a plane. I never had to do this as my children didn't fly until out of nappies (for financial reasons). Has it become acceptable to do this? I thought airlines were making a fuss about girls sitting on their own in case there was a disreputable person next to them and here was a women sitting a bare bottomed toddler on a seat. DH was nearer and appalled . If there had been an " accident" how would the mum have managed? I felt very old fashioned and judgmental.

loopylou Wed 27-May-15 15:32:02

Not at all old-fashioned and judgemental, she was totally out of order.
Aeroplane loos have facilities for nappy changing, admittedly a bit cramped but if I can manage it with a wriggling 10 month old.....
I'm surprised the air steward didn't notice and say something.

rosequartz Wed 27-May-15 15:34:09

I read an article in the paper a while ago about mums who change their babies' nappies (not just wet ones!) in front of other people in cafes - when there are perfectly good facilities in the ladies toilets.

It's their rights, innit Stansgran

rosequartz Wed 27-May-15 15:35:19

Sorry, should have also said that I think it is totally unacceptable.

Anne58 Wed 27-May-15 16:15:12

Anti social, unhygienic and totally unacceptable!

Marmight Wed 27-May-15 16:15:40

Totally wrong.
Some years ago I was treated by DD1 to a wine tasting lunch at Puligny Montrachet. It was informal but quite 'posh'. It was a small restaurant and the only other diners were a 40 something couple with a baby. The mother lay the baby on the table and proceeded to deal with its nappy. The Maitre D didn't blink an eyelid. I was horrified. It quite put me off my grub shock

aggie Wed 27-May-15 16:18:07

If she had used a changing mat would that have been more acceptable ?

emmasnan Wed 27-May-15 16:19:13

Not at all acceptable especially when there are facilities in the toilets.
You are not being old fashioned.

aggie Wed 27-May-15 16:21:25

I always changed mine on my knee , but not usually in public , but better than the table

Tegan Wed 27-May-15 16:23:49

Can't you catch polio from a babies nappy for several weeks after it's been vaccinated?

aggie Wed 27-May-15 16:25:14

from the poi think but not the wee

aggie Wed 27-May-15 16:25:49

sorry wriggly finger , meant poo

loopylou Wed 27-May-15 16:32:48

I've never heard that Tegan, the oral drops must be attenuated (inert) so possibly an old wives tale?
I certainly don't remember either being told this when mine had the drops and I imagine there would have been warnings.
Perhaps it was the case when an injected vaccination was given but I haven't heard this.

Tegan Wed 27-May-15 16:36:36

I think it's still the case with regards someone who hasn't got an immunity to polio and they probably have to have changed the nappy themselves and not washed their hands properly but the article I read was 2011 so I think there still is a very very remote chance of it happening.

aggie Wed 27-May-15 16:37:23

www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Polio_immunisation

rosesarered Wed 27-May-15 16:40:40

Not very nice that the bare bottom was on the seat!If there had been something underneath I would not have minded this though, it only takes a few mins to change a nappy after all.

Ana Wed 27-May-15 16:42:34

That just says you could catch polio after contact with the poo of an infected person, not that of a baby who'd had the vaccination recently.

loopylou Wed 27-May-15 16:44:46

IMO it's absolutely unacceptable, what if it had been a dirty nappy?
Presumably she had no intention of washing her hands afterwards!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 27-May-15 16:53:43

I was on a flight a few weeks ago - sitting on the aisle. Across the (narrow) aisle a man whose wife and small child were several rows behind. As the plane took off (literally just as the wheels left the ground) the wife let the small boy run forward to his father. The father then took a sick bag and held it right next to me. "Great" I thought. "We've been off the ground 30 seconds and now I have someone puking right on my knees." But no. With his other hand he pulled down the boy's trousers - got hold of his, um, winkle (did I say that????? I have never used that word in my life) and directed it into the bag. Then held the bag of urine about an inch from my face until the seatbelt sign was switched off.

Now I know that when you've got to go you've got to go - but there was definitely a more subtle way of doing it

Quite put me off my apple juice grin

Iam64 Wed 27-May-15 17:00:10

Cari - that experience puts a bit of nappy changing (providing the baby had only wee'd in it) right in the shade.

As well as being, well a bit shocked about the incident - is it me or wouldn't you expect a boy who is out of nappies to be able to hold his own "winkle" rather than have his dad do it for him. Yuk and double yuk

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-May-15 17:01:22

O M G !!!!!!!

That is truly disgusting. hmm. Was there no lavvie on the plane?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-May-15 17:02:49

I can never stand the need for the willie guiding. Cari could have had a face full. #thesethingsdohappen

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-May-15 17:05:32

Yes aggie I think it would have been fine if a changing mat was used.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-May-15 17:06:48

What airlines do these things happen on? [confusd]

Anya Wed 27-May-15 17:12:55

Oh come on folks! It's only wee. I feel sorry for anyone flying with young children.