Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Raglan cardigan for baby?

(21 Posts)
Helen2014 Tue 13-Oct-15 22:38:20

Does anyone know where I can get (hopefully for free) a pattern to knit a raglan sleeve cardigan for a 6 month old? I have plenty of patterns but nothing for a raglan sleeve for a baby. I'm a pretty okay knitter but nothing too complicated please! I downloaded one which knitted from the collar down. I did not get on well with it! I just want to make a beautiful little boy a nice cardie! Help!

Nelliemoser Tue 13-Oct-15 23:12:45

Here you are! How many do you want? wink
www.google.co.uk/search?q=free+raglan+sleeve+patterns+for+babies&biw=1252&bih=581&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCsQsARqFQoTCImPnfq5wMgCFUJZGgoddUwO0w#imgrc=Lv3R7mMOMfKs7M%3A
Click on an image you like and you will find teh websiet that hosts teh pattern.

Some of these patterns use American sizes for needled etc but there is a lot of information on the internet about where to find english versions of patterns teh oeth thing is to look in charity shop. Lot's of them have knitting patterns for just a few pence.

www.knitting.stuff.freeuk.com/ConversionTables2.html

Helen2014 Tue 13-Oct-15 23:19:53

Thanks for that. Have you used any of these yourself that you would recommend?

Nelliemoser Tue 13-Oct-15 23:50:47

My typing is getting worse and worse.

Grannyknot Wed 14-Oct-15 06:02:13

Hi Helen I fancy knitting one too for my grandson. This pattern looks good (I haven't tried it, and it is also "top-down", so maybe not suitable, but I find the all-in-one patterns to be quite easy). What went wrong with the one you knitted?

www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babysweraglangarterstripe.htm

Helen2014 Wed 14-Oct-15 17:54:21

Hello Grannyknot The stripy cardigan looks lovely. I've looked at the pattern and it is MUCH more straightforward than the one I attempted. The previous one had many, many more increases and decreases and used about 10 stitchmarkers. Honestly, I had to use ties of different coloured wool because my ordinary stitchmarkers were getting tangled with each other and doing the woll no good at all! Needless to say, it is now languishing at the bottom of my stash bag!

Helen2014 Wed 14-Oct-15 18:00:34

I also found this one on Ravelry after following a link from Nelliemoser - www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-sophisticate---free

Thanks!!

Grannyknot Wed 14-Oct-15 19:01:13

Thanks Helen I love the one you found (love the shawl collar).

I've had a nightmare too with some patterns that are just too fiddly, your first attempt sounds like one of those.

Greyduster Thu 15-Oct-15 21:56:07

I have a couple of patterns, Helen2014; one of them is very plain raglan which can be knitted as a cardigan or a jumper. The other one is patterned but I have knitted it up and it wasn't too complicated. I'll be glad to send you copies if you want to pm me your address.

Cressida Tue 20-Oct-15 11:56:18

I have a pattern in pdf format that I could email to you. You can ignore the patterning on the front if it's for a boy.

Helen2014 Thu 22-Oct-15 07:10:55

Thank you for your responses. Gransnet really is a great place for sharing!

Helen2014 Sun 25-Oct-15 13:09:52

Here is a photo of the first cardie made due to the generosity of Gransnet forum members. Thanks!

Greyduster Sun 25-Oct-15 17:38:11

That's absolutely lovely! Is it knitted in one piece?

Envious Sun 25-Oct-15 17:59:26

Now you must post a pic with him in it! smile

Helen2014 Mon 26-Oct-15 07:14:53

Greyduster, the sleeves are knitted across the back and fronts. So much for my plea for raglan sleeves! But the next one will be a raglan sleeve pattern. I'm seeing the little man tomorrow so I'll ask mummy if I can take a photo (if it fits him)!

Grannyknot Mon 26-Oct-15 07:51:39

That's lovely helen ... any chance of sharing the link to the pattern? smile (if it was a free one).

Helen2014 Wed 28-Oct-15 06:29:18

Hello Grannyknot. It was a PDF from Cressida. If you want to send me a PM I can pass it on. Here is a photo of the little man wearing it yesterday.

Grannyknot Wed 28-Oct-15 07:29:11

helen that baby is so gorgeous, I thought he was a doll! Thank you will PM you with my email address.

Greyduster Wed 28-Oct-15 17:42:18

Doesn't he look the bees knees! He's beautiful.

Indinana Thu 29-Oct-15 10:08:29

He looks so snug and cosy in that lovely cardigan! And didn't you knit it up quickly too. That's why I love knitting for my baby granddaughter - little garments take no time at all smile.

Another great resource for knitting patterns is Etsy.com (not free, but very reasonably priced instant PDF downloads). I've bought several patterns from them when I've been unable to find what I wanted on Ravelry. Also, if you are considering the paid for patterns on Ravelry, it is worth checking Etsy to see if they have the same ones. I found one yesterday that was £3.60 on Ravelry, but I downloaded the very same pattern from Etsy for £1.19 smile

Helen2014 Mon 02-Nov-15 08:18:34

That is really useful information. Thank you.