Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

The Great Interior Design Challenge

(152 Posts)
tiredoldwoman Tue 02-Feb-16 05:25:12

I was so excited when I saw that this programme was back again as I loved it last time . Oh, I was disappointed - nothing inspired me ( apart from the tennis racquet clock ) . It's on again tonight , will watch it again to see what they do !

ninathenana Tue 02-Feb-16 06:30:55

Agreed, it was a let down tonight. That won't stop me watching again though smile

chelseababy Tue 02-Feb-16 06:56:43

Me too, bit of a flop. Also have they changed the format? Thought there were three contenders, not four and they picked one to go through? Will still watch tonight.

cornergran Tue 02-Feb-16 07:01:01

Nothing inspired me to make changes. DH is delighted grin. Will keep watching via a recording so I can fast forward the boring bits.

suzied Tue 02-Feb-16 07:14:33

Yes I enjoy this programme but it could easily be half an hour. Didn't think much of the tennis racket tray!

merlotgran Tue 02-Feb-16 09:39:03

We've just completed our conversion so apart from a few space saving solutions I've no intention of picking up a paintbrush or screwdriver for a very long time.

I watched it though - just for the pleasure of shouting, 'Yikes! That's 'orrible'

Maybe it will pick up?

rosesarered Tue 02-Feb-16 09:50:32

Strange, I liked this programme last time..... And liked it just as much last night! why is it any different?

annodomini Tue 02-Feb-16 09:51:20

The Bloomsbury room would have given me a headache if I'd had to live there. And I wasn't impressed with the others either, but I will watch the rest of the series.

shysal Tue 02-Feb-16 10:37:25

I seem to remember that last time the designers were also paired up for a project, often causing strife. Or perhaps that will be in a later round or was a different show entirely!
I liked the look of the oriental room last night, although the separated drawer above eye level was totally impractical and the finish shoddy. I wish they would allow the participants more time, which would hopefully give a more polished finish.

ninathenana Tue 02-Feb-16 14:44:52

As the person who makes all the interior design decisions in our house DH asked if I'd fancy being a contestant.
Not a bloody chance !! I couldn't stand the pressure.

Eloethan Tue 02-Feb-16 18:20:06

I quite liked the Bloomsbury bedroom - I thought it looked very cosy. Didn't think much of the other designs though. I thought the wardrobes/cupboards covered in linen would collect an awful lot of dust, the "white" bedroom was just plain boring and the young girl's bedroom was tacky and amateurish.

I'm a great armchair critic though - I'm not at all good at interior design.

specki4eyes Tue 02-Feb-16 19:17:21

Absolute garbage, this programme. The two Sloaney so called "experts" clearly do not have the skills to be competent judges. Sophie was on This Morning today showing off her dreadful ideas for what she claims is the 'current look' - Scandinavian apparently. She even did that badly! Quite ridiculous - no qualified designer would dream of offering any such 'catch all' scheme. Interior design is not about fads and 'looks'. There is occasionally a nod to a current trend, but that is all.
This programme makes me so mad..they are peddling dreary, misinformed gimmicks which have no relevance whatsoever to real interior design.

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 02-Feb-16 19:28:11

I missed the start of the last series, so was looking forward to this new series.

You could tell straight away who was going home, she was out of her depth and more like a hobby designer. I liked the Bloomsbury room, but wouldn't have gone for the terracotta pink. I lthink the guy's style is great, although he was far too ambitious in the time he had.

Will keep watching.

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 02-Feb-16 19:38:05

That said, I think Holly thinks she's on Changing Rooms! shock

merlotgran Tue 02-Feb-16 19:48:05

Frankie's room is lovely. It's the first time I've seen anything closely resembling taste on this programme.

suzied Tue 02-Feb-16 21:22:50

The lime green one was ghastly. You could tell the owners hated it. It looked much nicer before the makeover.

whitewave Tue 02-Feb-16 21:42:01

Not sure I could live anything very much that I have seen on this programme. Some of the houses that they have shown are rather nice, and wasn't there a house boat once?

rubylady Wed 03-Feb-16 02:54:09

I loved the Bloomsbury bedroom, the child's room would outgrow her in no time ("Mum, where's that paintbrush?" in two years). I loved Frankie's room tonight, it made me cry, I thought it was beautiful. I have taken a photo of it for my scrap book of design.

I enjoyed the programme last year and have really enjoyed it the last two nights. It makes a welcome change from soggy bottoms!

Katek Wed 03-Feb-16 10:04:39

Holly needs to learn the art of compromise. Seems a bit of a know it all- I was quite glad when the light fell down.

annodomini Wed 03-Feb-16 10:09:27

The judges seem to me to be unnecessarily critical about Frankie's use of textiles. I thought the ones he used last night worked perfectly with the character of the house. 'Tasteful' is not a word I'd use about many of these designs but his was tasteful and looked comfortable.

J52 Wed 03-Feb-16 10:10:48

Apart from Frankie, no one seemed to take into account the age of the property. They just went for the 'alternative' look!

I too, knew those lights were not going to stay up. Those plastic hooks are not much good, unless for very light use! ( sorry about the pun!)

I'm looking forward to Frankie's next use of textiles.

x

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 03-Feb-16 10:25:14

The plastic hooks looked awful too. I don't like bare bulbs, so she was on a loser for me.

Frankie's room was lovely. Not my style, but beautifully done.

pollyparrot Wed 03-Feb-16 10:30:23

I'm sorry Holly but Navy blue walls? Dark, cold, miserable looking and the owners wanted duck egg blue or sage. I wonder how many owners get someone in to do it how they want, as soon as the cameras have gone. And yes, plastic hooks and bare bulbs? I could do better with a blindfold on and both hands tied behind my back.

I liked Frankie's room the best. The judges seem a bit out of touch with what people actually want as well.

Katek Wed 03-Feb-16 10:56:51

I liked Frankie's as well-I could live in it, but the other two were not my cup of tea at all. You can be modern without being garish or tacky. It begs the question can you/shouid you try to put a modern interior in a house that is several hundred years old? Those plastic hooks are awful, they barely hold up a tea towel.

gettingonabit Wed 03-Feb-16 14:23:01

Ooh I love this programme!

I agree that Frankie was the only one who paid heed to both the style and age of the building and the brief.

I think Holly is too stubborn and this will prove to be her downfall. I thought the green room was hideous, but I liked the layout, and the use of the large cupboard as a focal point.

I agree with the poster upthread about this not being about design. To my mind, it's about slapping a bit of paint about and hoping for the best. Very little heed is paid to practicality, light, style of building or client brief. So, yes, not really about design at all.

I also noticed that each competitor was given a position after the brief presentations during the first programme. I haven't seen that before. I hope it doesn't become a feature.

Loving it, though. And Tom is really good; knowledgeable and interesting.

The woman expert is too "changing rooms" and the other one is pretentious. In my humble opinion.