Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you remember Jackie magazine?

(45 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 06-Jul-12 11:40:39

We've been asked to go on Radio Scotland to talk about gransnetters' memories of Jackie on Monday morning (someone's unearthed the first-ever copy, from 1964). I have quite a lot of memories - but if anyone else has any amusing (or horrified smile) recollections, let us know.

Notsogrand Fri 06-Jul-12 12:43:42

I remember banning my daughters from reading Jackie. This would have been about 1979/80 when they were early adolescents. I bought their magazines/comics each week & monitored everything they read. I remember being horrified one week when reading the problem page in Jackie.

A 14 year old girl was seeking advice on what to do about the fact that her parents wouldn't let her stay out at night as late as she wanted to. The advice given was along the lines....Your parents need to understand that you're getting to the age when you should be making these sorts of decisions for yourself....etc etc blah blah.

As if! Straight in the bin!

We laugh about it now but at the time it was way out of order.

gillybob Fri 06-Jul-12 14:40:31

I adored Jackie magazine which was terribly grown up when
You had previously read the Bunty. I had mine delivered and couldn't wait
To read Cathy and Claire the agony pages which were
Full of (now) fairly innocent problems such as "how do I kiss
My boyfriend" or "my best friend has gone off with the new girl at school".
I loved the pin ups especially Donny Osmond or David Cassidy on who's pictures we practised our kissing techniques. I would kill anyone ( my younger sister) who
Dared turn a crisp new page before I got my hands on my copy .

Happy memories of more innocent times.

crosstitch02 Fri 06-Jul-12 15:03:34

My Grandma and Grandad used to buy me Jackie magazine every week and it used to have some really good articles in it about fashion. There were also posters in the magazines if I remember correctly. I used to really look forward to going and getting my magazine each week and spent many a happy hour reading it from cover to cover.

Anagram Fri 06-Jul-12 15:27:35

I was a devotee, too.
I actually won a (rather horrible!) ring for having a bit of a letter I'd submitted printed in 'Sam's Snippets'....
[modest emoticon]

greenmossgiel Fri 06-Jul-12 16:05:02

The magazine was named after children's author Jacqueline Wilson (I do believe). She worked as a youngster for DC Thomson (Dundee), who published many of the newspapers for the East of Scotland - also the Dandy, Beano comics etc. I used to have the Jackie passed on to me by my friend. I loved it! smile

Annika Fri 06-Jul-12 18:07:25

I loved Jackie magazine, my sister and myself used to read it from front to back, never missing a bit and then we took out the pics of the 'pop' stars at the time and pin them on out bedroom wall (we shared a bedroom) . I know the Beatles were a favourite of ours but I seem to remember we also had a pic of the Beach Boys and the Four Pennies ( who remembers them !) wink

numberplease Fri 06-Jul-12 21:23:32

I`m not sure if it was out when I was of that age, but can remember my daughters reading it. Eldest daughter has now amassed 3 cds called Jackie, of music from back then.

vampirequeen Fri 06-Jul-12 23:43:06

I loved Cathy and Claire. When I read Jackie the problems were about blackheads and how to deal with your first kiss. I was stunned when my daughters started to buy it and I found the problems had moved onto sex and contraception. I have to say I learned a lot from the early Jackie problem pages and a lot more from the later ones grin

ninathenana Sat 07-Jul-12 12:47:26

Oooh, I loved Jackie too.

I saved all my copies and at one point had a pile approx 15" high.
This came in very handy one night when the leg of my divan bed snapped and I used my pile to prop up the bed grin grin I made sure I put a blanket between the bedbase and the top copy first !

I think I only got rid of them when I moved out of mum's.

cazza1 Sat 07-Jul-12 20:03:01

I remember the Jackie mag it was a fav of mine brought it on a thursday after school or my mum would beat me to it and buy it me.

cazza1 Sat 07-Jul-12 20:04:24

What about the Diana magazine.

cazza1 Sat 07-Jul-12 20:05:07

Or Twinkle when you were very young?

jeni Sat 07-Jul-12 20:12:03

School friend and ? Girl?

Anagram Sat 07-Jul-12 20:19:06

Yes! School Friend! And Girl's Crystal.

nanaej Sat 07-Jul-12 21:11:42

Yes I was a Jackie fan too! bedroom wall covered with pics of the current heart throbs etc.. the advice pages and the true life stories with the very funny 'real life' photos telling the story!!

seasider Sun 08-Jul-12 09:53:53

does anybody remember the free gifts that came with Jackie and the other mags? usually some moulded plastic earrings or a very vivid eyeshadow? At that time I was not offically allowed make up so we used to put eye shadow on whilst on the bus to our Saturday afternoon browse round the shops and wipe it off again on the way home! grin

gracesmum Sun 08-Jul-12 14:56:32

While I never read Jackie, I loved Girl and Bunty, then in my teens I adored "Honey" magazine and was devastated when it packed up (I nearly said"folded", but that sounded too much like a bad pun) I remember getting Mum to make me a black fake fur coat as a cut out ready to sew offer (remember those?) when I went up to St Andrews. I was the dog's proverbial!

nanaej Sun 08-Jul-12 15:39:28

grace Honey was good too! Ihad a white fake fur and a black PVC..without which I could not have gone to teacher training college!

grannyinmypocket Mon 23-Jul-12 21:21:13

Yes, I remember Jackie, I used to buy it for the posters, I've also got the cds, I play it when in by myself doing housework, reminds me of being a happy carefree teenager.

Bags Tue 24-Jul-12 07:13:20

DD now gets the Jacqueline Wilson Mag. It was Jacqueline Wilson that Jackie magazine was named after. DD loves her books too.

JessM Tue 24-Jul-12 07:34:09

What really ? When JW was a little girl? Someone named the comic after her?
The JW mag is rather good. It occasionally has a silly edition (e.g. around valentines day) but generally age appropriate for 6-11 year olds. The only other ones I will buy for DGD are the wildlife ones. The rest are rubbish, do we think?

Nonu Tue 24-Jul-12 10:05:25

Can"t really remember Jackie , loved Girl comic

Bags Tue 24-Jul-12 11:15:06

She was already writing as a little girl, jess.

grannyinmypocket Thu 26-Jul-12 11:28:19

I've read a few of Jacqueline Wilsons books , I know they're for kids but I enjoyed them!