Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Astrology

(88 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 25-Feb-15 08:40:32

Thought I'd woken up on April 1st when I read this.

NHS

I can't believe that an MP who is on the Health Select Committee as well as a committee for science and technology is advocating astrology for the NHS. shock

It can't be true - I must have misread!

GrannyTwice Wed 25-Feb-15 08:48:43

Read his wiki entry for more!! Unbelievable!

Mishap Wed 25-Feb-15 08:54:19

This has to be a wind-up. For heaven's sake!

Riverwalk Wed 25-Feb-15 09:03:39

Don't think I could face his Wiki page grin only so much a girl can take before breakfast.

Politicians with snouts in trough, war-mongering, venality, cosying-up with dictators ...... I can deal with that, but ASTROLOGY?, FFS!

GrannyTwice Wed 25-Feb-15 09:04:59

Wish it were- he has form. Vets, surgeons etc have all criticised him for his whacky views- it would be funny if it weren't so serious

ninathenana Wed 25-Feb-15 09:27:40

Oh dear, that's quiet worrying.

annsixty Wed 25-Feb-15 09:34:16

I am one, who every Saturday, reads my horoscope in the magazine which comes with our newspaper.There are not many weeks go by when my career is going to take off with spectacular succcess. At 77, I wish!!
Seriously the man is deranged and I'm surprised the press publishes such stories ,unless of course to prove just how mad he is.

Anniebach Wed 25-Feb-15 09:50:31

There are many people who believe in Astrology as strongly as atheists believe there is no god and those of faiths believe there is a God

grumppa Wed 25-Feb-15 10:04:31

What is the matter with the voters of Bosworth?

annsixty Wed 25-Feb-15 10:19:12

But surely Anniethey wouldn't rely on to diagnose or cure their ills?

Gracesgran Wed 25-Feb-15 10:38:16

His constituents keep returning him so he must be doing something right. Perhaps there is a large Astrological community there smile.

POGS Wed 25-Feb-15 10:39:42

He is passionate homeopathy. Any GN's have a view on homeopathy?

Elegran Wed 25-Feb-15 10:46:21

He can believe in it if he wishes, but the NHS has enough to stretch the money round without that.

GrannyTwice Wed 25-Feb-15 10:55:11

But even if the NHS had plenty of money, who would want this dangerous nonsense peddling?

annodomini Wed 25-Feb-15 10:59:31

Russell Grant to diagnose your ailments, anyone?

Anniebach Wed 25-Feb-15 11:13:29

annsixty, no I didn't mean he was in anyway right to suggest something so stupid , I was referring to the many who do believe in astrology and am uncomfortable when they are scoffed at. I do not bother even to read horoscopes

POGS Wed 25-Feb-15 11:38:19

Elegran

I know very little about homeopathy but there are NHS hospitals and some GP's practices where it is being used.

I had a friend who believed in homeopathy and she always looks healthy, she never pushed her belief onto us and I never asked!

GrannyTwice Wed 25-Feb-15 11:54:27

It's a disgrace that about £4m a year is wasted in this way. There is not one shred of evidence that it works any better than placebo. NHS Choices now uses 'treatment ' to describe it. Before the recent revision the entry had been more favourable after an intervention by Charles but finally it was altered to reflect scientific reality.

crun Wed 25-Feb-15 12:10:16

Tredinnick is also an advocate of homeopathy and chiropractice as well. What's really frightening is that is on the Health Select Committee, the Science and Technology Select Committee, and is Chairman of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Integrated Healthcare.

Eloethan Wed 25-Feb-15 12:41:43

It's not a wind up.

For those that believe Eton boys are intellectually superior and more suited to high office than the rest of the population, this man must surely throw doubt on that.

He is a fervent supporter of astrology, homeopathy and traditional Chinese medicine, believing that all should be available on the NHS. benefits.

He has apparently stated that "blood does not clot under a full moon" and that malaria, HIV, TB and many other serious illnesses are suitable for homeopathic treatment.

He says that astrology is part of the tradition of medicine - well so are a lot of things (like taking ground rhino horn to cure impotence) but that doesn't mean they work.

He has apparently complained that the BBC "seeks to promote a science perspective". Well, shame on the BBC!

feetlebaum Wed 25-Feb-15 13:03:20

No Anniebach, an atheist person doesn't BELIEVE there is no god - he or she is indifferent to that particular unsupported notion, as to many others. Belief plays no part in it.

feetlebaum Wed 25-Feb-15 13:07:01

@POGS - Homoeopathy is easy: some water dripped onto sugar pills, and flogged to the gullible... It's the old 'like cures like' nonsense, that had people putting their heads down the privy to ward off the plague...

Knowsley Wed 25-Feb-15 13:43:15

Someone pointed me to an article about this in The Telegraph this morning.

I'm quite receptive of learning new things, and today I learned that Russell Grant, or some of his associates, must advertise in the Telegraph.

janerowena Wed 25-Feb-15 14:23:17

I think he has a point. It would save the NHS a fortune. All the gullible people would look up their horoscopes and see that they will be well tomorrow, so not go and clog up the Dr's surgeries.

A side effect of this would be that the national IQ of future generations would also be raised by several percent.

[ducks]

Anniebach Wed 25-Feb-15 21:08:29

.i disagree feetlebaum, one either believes in a thing , does not believe or is unsure . I believe homeopathy can work for some ailments, you do not , I assume by your opinion of water dripped onto sugar pills you are not undecided or unsure