Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Why does God ......

(82 Posts)
Riverwalk Sun 01-Feb-15 19:16:44

.... allow children to become prostitutes?

This question was asked of Pope Francis during his recent visit to The Philippines - and I'm not sure if he answered.

I know the usual stock answer is that mankind is given free will, etc, but what about the children?

For those GN believers, of whatever faith, I'd genuinely like to know why if you believe in a compassionate god he would allow such a thing?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 01-Feb-15 19:44:31

Why would you think God "allows" it? It's people that do that. Do you really expect thunderbolts?

Mishap Sun 01-Feb-15 19:46:06

I agree (faint!) - it is people who do this dreadful thing to children.

loopylou Sun 01-Feb-15 19:56:50

I guess it's one of an enormous plethora of mankind's actions that, for me, makes me question whether there is a God, or is His name used as a sort of scapegoat?
I am, I guess, a christian with a small 'c', and increasingly becoming a doubter.

Riverwalk Sun 01-Feb-15 19:56:53

Yes, it is people who do these terrible things to children but why does god not intervene?

He is believed to be omnipotent and the creator - surely he has some say?

When things go well he is praised and thanked, but what about when innocent children become prostitutes?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 01-Feb-15 20:00:03

I don't know.

Riverwalk Sun 01-Feb-15 20:05:06

The question was asked by a a 12 year old girl.

The Pope's response was, according The Independent, there is no answer

why

loopylou Sun 01-Feb-15 20:09:00

Well if the Pope doesn't know the answer I'm not sure if any GN will!

thatbags Sun 01-Feb-15 20:14:40

The answer is "God doesn't*.

Mishap Sun 01-Feb-15 21:03:29

Indeed.

petallus Sun 01-Feb-15 21:30:08

If the child who asked the question believes in God she deserves an answer other than that (some people believe) God doesn't exist.

thatbags Sun 01-Feb-15 21:36:06

She 'deserves' to hear what people think. That's what I think. Someone who thinks something else can say so.

Mishap Sun 01-Feb-15 22:01:12

If she has been taught that god is all-powerful, then it was reasonable for her to ask the pope her question.

Anne58 Sun 01-Feb-15 22:07:58

One could ask all sorts of questions along the same line, for example "why the holocaust?"

soontobe Sun 01-Feb-15 22:09:52

Difficult question.
Yes, it is that free will answer.

God doesnt intervine all the time. That takes away free will.
God sometimes intervenes when someone has prayed. Sometimes, but not always.

Ana Sun 01-Feb-15 22:12:01

Isn't this thread just going over the same ground the Stephen Fry one covered?

Soutra Sun 01-Feb-15 22:26:17

Soontobe clearly feels she has a responsibility to defend the "God corner" and while I totally disagree with the sentiments or what I see as banal Biblical justification, I respect you soontobe for attempting to meet the challenge and answer an unanswerable question!

Ana Sun 01-Feb-15 22:27:39

Unlike the Pope, apparently...hmm

vampirequeen Mon 02-Feb-15 09:53:02

God uses the freewill cop out all the time.

ginny Mon 02-Feb-15 11:40:50

I agree Vampirequeen although it is people who believe in God that use this excuse when they don't have any other answer.

loopylou Mon 02-Feb-15 11:42:36

True grin!

soontobe Mon 02-Feb-15 12:09:51

Do people want free will?
I appreciate that this is a hypothetical question. And I dont really know the answer myself.

soontobe Mon 02-Feb-15 12:20:35

Thank you Soutra.

Elegran Mon 02-Feb-15 12:24:27

It is not just that people want free will, it is that most people believe that we have it.

Whether we were made by a supremely all-powerful being or we evolved to be what we are from a single-celled organism in the primeval swamps, we have analytical brains which take in information and process it to work out the best way to proceed, within the limits of our environment and the moral and/or social mores we have absorbed.

If God made us "in his own image" then he must have programmed in that ability, and chosen it from his own characteristics as something which we should have. You don't design a robot with qualities that it is not at liberty to use. Not to use it would be waste and ingratitude.

If we are the descendants of a tiny green blob, that is pretty good going, and we should not squander our progress by abandoning ourselves to the vagaries of chance, or the coding of a master programmer.

(I am proud of my upwardly mobile green-blob ancestors, BTW)

AlieOxon Mon 02-Feb-15 13:18:09

(Hello, cousin green-blob)