Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much do you pay for Window Cleaning?

(88 Posts)
Retiredguy Fri 10-Apr-15 12:07:55

How much do you pay your window cleaner and for how many windows?
Up to retiring last year and moving we paid £11 once a month in Leicestershire for a four bedroom detached with conservatory.
Been quoted £20 here in Lincolnshire for a smaller ( 3 bedroom detached) house but bigger conservatory.

aggie Fri 10-Apr-15 12:12:46

mid terrace house 9 sash windows £5 , whenever he gets round to it , we supply water and a dash of washing up liquid , he and a mate supply dirty rag squeegee and ladder , we have nets so don't care that the windows are half washed grin

tanith Fri 10-Apr-15 12:13:33

I paid £8 for a 2 bed end terrace thats 10 windows and french doors with glass side panels.. we live in London suburbs I thought it was very cheap although now the guy has retired so my upstairs windows are grubby, haven't managed to find another one yet but I suspect it will be much dearer. Unless I can persuade OH to get up the blooming ladder grin

pompa Fri 10-Apr-15 12:18:12

We have a 3br house with conservatory, 19 windows in all (Including garage). The guy we have uses a power wash system, he does not dry the windows off, but as he uses demineralized water they dry streak free. Mrs. P is fussy and she is well pleased. £10, which I think very reasonable, we have them cleaned each month. (He can clean gutters etc. if required)

Juliette Fri 10-Apr-15 12:26:15

£12 for 7 windows, front door, French window. He uses a machine to clean upstairs as he is afraid of climbing a ladder. smile
My previous window cleaner retired two years ago, he charged £6 and was a lovely chap. I miss him. W. Midlands.

hildajenniJ Fri 10-Apr-15 13:00:42

£14 for a three bedroom detached house with small conservatory/large porch, which I think is reasonable.

Eloethan Fri 10-Apr-15 13:04:59

£7.50 (plus £1.50 tip) per month for front of terraced house - two large bay windows, square window of small bedroom, front door and small window adjoining it.

pompa that's a real bargain!

boheminan Fri 10-Apr-15 13:07:49

The bloke that used to come here used a machine and cleaned the four front windows (he said he couldn't get round the backhmm) for £12shock every 6 weeks. I've since cancelled him

Granne72 Fri 10-Apr-15 13:31:09

We only have the front done as we are on a main road. £5 for four windows and the front door , they also wash the sills.

Stansgran Fri 10-Apr-15 13:41:30

Twelve large windows plus various patio doors and glass doors once a month for £10 with a machine left to dry non streak. The pigeons then go splat into them as soon as he's left . I call it window art. I've had visitors take photos of the detailed feathered outlines.

Anne58 Fri 10-Apr-15 13:48:27

£10 for a 3 bed semi, sitting room has window plus French windows, usual bathroom, downstairs loo and half glazed front door.

Does a pretty good job, loved it when he told me "my usual monthly round is every six weeks" confused grin

Soutra Fri 10-Apr-15 14:06:11

£9 for 7 windows and 2 patio doors. Won't do two of the upstairs windows because he says he can't reach them safely.sad
One thing is certain, it always rains just after he has been.

Coolgran65 Fri 10-Apr-15 14:22:03

£8 for a standard 3 bed semi. I just get them done every other month. He does a good job. DH used to do them on a ladder.....one day the ladder slipped and fortunately the garden wall was only about 3ft behind and halted the slide of the ladder. It was like a carry on movie with bucket of water and chamois flying everywlere. Happily DH did not go airborne.

However the annual task of washing down the plastic window frames and barge boards and soffits is due. DH will do this while I ....steady the ladder.

glammanana Fri 10-Apr-15 15:24:20

£1.50 every fortnight for our 1st floor flat,one large lounge picture window/kitchen/bathroom/large bedroom window and small dressing room,every 3 months he does all the plastic frames for me and I pay him £5.00 for that.He charges us all that price and even the 3/4 beds in the next Roads only get charged £5-7 depending on the size.he has had the business for nearly 40 yrs and is a legitimate one man band business.

Marmight Fri 10-Apr-15 15:35:27

£12 once a month for a Victorian house with 2 huge sash windows, 6 average sized sash windows, french window and 11 bifold doors. He uses a long handled hose with a pump, so everything is dripping. At least they look clean; the last one cleaned them with dirty water from the previous job and left the window cills covered in dirty streaks and charged £10. I don't think here is such a thing as a perfect window cleaner - if there is, I have yet to meet him/her!

Envious Fri 10-Apr-15 15:37:02

I enjoy reading about double glazing and regular window washing. It's foreign to an American.We seem to have no problem with dirty windows.They get washed twice a year? Maybe. sad

granjura Fri 10-Apr-15 15:45:59

We pay nothing- zero, zilch, de nada.... because nobody here cleans windows for you, you just have to do your own. They open inwards so you can do that- got myself a karcher steam window cleaner- but I am procrastinating.

One old chap used to come and clean the windows of our quite large house in East Leicester, with leaded lights- about once a month (when he needed pocket money and needed a bit of tlc and a good natter, for £12- but that was 6 years ago.

Where were you in Leics Retiredguy?

granjura Fri 10-Apr-15 15:47:31

Got a few too many windows to clean here- might put an ad in local shop and get some help actually!

Katek Fri 10-Apr-15 16:01:23

£10 fortnightly for 3 bed bungalow plus front door and conservatory.

Teetime Fri 10-Apr-15 16:18:58

I live in Leicestershire and I am charged £14 once month for a four bed detached house with a conservatory. I think its Ok especially as the cleaner is definitely eye candy!!

mcem Fri 10-Apr-15 17:05:58

Ground floor flat with 10 large sash windows plus smaller kitchen window. £5.50 a month in Dundee. Another reliable one-man business. Can't remember last price increase but think atnleast 50p more would be fully justified.

numberplease Fri 10-Apr-15 17:11:30

Window cleaners are like gold dust in Boston, whenever one stops coming, it takes weeks to find another. We live in an end terraced, and the present window cleaner charges £7 a month for 6 windows and 2 doors (just the glass in them). There is another bedroom window, but he won`t do that one as it involves standing on the sloping bathroom roof, and he says it`s not safe, so that window is beginning to look a bit grubby.

rascal Fri 10-Apr-15 17:57:36

Eight windows £8 but I give him £10 as it's very difficult to get a window cleaner here so neighbours are glad this one comes back!

harrigran Fri 10-Apr-15 17:59:24

Window cleaner washes 12 of the thirteen windows and charges £5, he comes once a fortnight and fills his bucket at the outside tap.

SueD Fri 10-Apr-15 19:14:56

£30 for outside and £60 for inside and out. We have windows that go from ground to roof level (4.3metres) on the front, French doors on the back and also one upstairs bedroom along with a glass Juliet balcony. They also wash all window frames, door frames and fascias and the glass in the balcony. We also have some Velux windows and very high windows from the lounge through to the hallway. It takes four of them best part of half an. Hour to do inside and out so I reckon we get good value for money. They do outside every three months and inside and out every six months so basically costs us £10 per month