Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

If you've had a bad day......

(53 Posts)
Anne58 Mon 03-Aug-15 20:41:14

Do you think that 3 (or possibly more, depending how things go) glasses of Cava, a Magnum Double Caramel and a sort of mock salad Nicoise (just the Romaine lettuce, tomato, a tiny bit of tuna {yes, the pathetic bit in the bottom of the bowl that your husband left as an excuse for actually declaring the bowl empty & washing it up!} angry plus a few olives, well, actually quite a lot of olives, an anchovy or two, no cooked new potatoes because they had started to look less than appetising, ditto the cooked french beans, but including the perfectly hard boiled egg, well, it was perfectly hard boiled on Friday, has been in the fridge ever since) with some sliced tomato and of course a splosh of french dressing, would be considered an acceptable supper?

Or might it contravene some EU Law with regard to the wine/ice cream/ healthy food balance?

It is not actually too late to comment on this, because as yet I haven't eaten either the salad or the Magnum, I was waiting for advice!

MiniMouse Mon 03-Aug-15 20:46:04

How's your stock of Rennies?

Purpledaffodil Mon 03-Aug-15 20:46:44

I have just had a disgusting bowl of cauliflower mash which spoiled the bolognaise sauce I put on top of it. Go for it Phoenix! I might yet finish the Cava in the fridge to take away the cauliflower taste. I think it was off.

Jane10 Mon 03-Aug-15 20:52:46

I like a Revel salad myself. Open family bag of Revels into a large bowl. Eat. A good starter can be red wine soup. Simply pour red wine into a bowl and consume daintily with a silver soup spoon (of course)

downtoearth Mon 03-Aug-15 20:57:10

sounds perfectly acceptable to me I love picking at left overs and anything tasting a bit iffy can be washed down by the cava,my main meal today consisted of a bit of lettuce and some tomato slices,homegrown slightly wobbly cucumber 2 hard boiled eggs laid by my own girls,beetroot from steve over the roads allotment,spring onion,and some gorgonzola that's been forgotten in the fridge,french dressing,and Heinz salad cream,sadly no cava,but several cups of builders tea...no builder thosad....could just manage a magnum now..chocolate.... not champagne unless anyones offering...grin

Anne58 Mon 03-Aug-15 20:58:40

Keep trying to post from this thing

Bugger

downtoearth Mon 03-Aug-15 20:59:32

jane had an M&M salad yesterday....tasted the rainbow....

Jane10 Mon 03-Aug-15 21:14:41

At least 5 of your five a day! Excellent

Anne58 Mon 03-Aug-15 21:42:54

Oh heck, got it all wrong again! Have had to come up here to use the desk top!

Love the replies, I've been having a bit of a chortle in between cursing my lack of techno ability on the Hudl! (and I was doing so well, too!)

Considering going straight from the Cava to the Magnum, but I expect that would be very naughty!

Bad day excuses:

1)On Friday, ordered & paid for a 10" victoria sponge with fresh cream & jam from Morrisons. £3.99. Have had these oodles of times before, luscious, light sponge with fresh cream & jam, bargain! Ideal for taking in tomorrow, my birthday, to share with troops!

2) Today, after dreadful nights sleep (bad dreams, Mr P alarm going off at 4.30 am) get phone call from Morrisons, can't do cake angry

3) Email from one of the friends coming for supper tomorrow stating completely different preference for food from other one, plus saying can't travel together (they live next door but one from one another, but about 5 miles from me) as daughter playing up big time and may have to leave at short notice.

4) Work ok, but boss not really understanding that I A) Have not got a clue what and RST 1 metre wooden folding thing is, let alone where to source 12 of the damn things to be delivered within a week, and as I did an extra 7.5 hours last week, then yes, I really do plan to leave at 3pm

5) Morrisons, I'm afraid I'm going to have to save my description of this particular experience, as I may get sued by inappropriately dressed obese men, a particular woman who was reading the headline in the local paper about a teenage armed robber who said "Oh, well, I don't recognise him, but fair play, I mean not about the gun, that could hurt someone one, but if he got a few quid......" Plus of course the fact that I suddenly realised that I had turned into the woman that turns to the next person in the queue and says "Do you think that this is some sort of punishment for something that we did in a former life?" Thank heavens he understood!

PS Picked up 2 pathetic small versions of the desired cake, there were 4 on offer but one had a crumpled bottom, and the other had a decided list to starboard. (As Mr P would say, "standards, darling, standards")

6) Went to Asda to try to get a tray of 12 glazed doughnuts to make up for the lack of cake in Morrisons, discovered that they no longer stock decent "posh pop", and that the only glazed doughnuts on the shelf were the yuky chocolate ones, however managed to speak to a member of bakery staff who looked almost as harassed as I felt (although, to be fair, it might just have been the way she had pencilled her eyebrows) and she managed to find a tray of the the pink ones, but they were frozen! shock It would appear that they are delivered like that, then once defrosted, just put out on the shelf!

7) Coming home, approaching a section of the road that is very narrow, slowing right down as I always do, damn nearly head on with a HUGE tractor, with the height of his vehicle, he would have seen me, but come silaging time the tractor boys (some of whom are under 17!) think that because they are bigger they have right of way. angry

Sorry, waffled on blush

Katek Mon 03-Aug-15 21:46:32

Think the double Magnum is crucial here.....consumed immediately after the salad it should fast freeze any bacteria which have escaped the Cava. I think it's a wonderful supper. Beats my curry and tagliatelle...ok, it was meant to be meat(Quorn)balls but couldn't tell what was in the Tupperware in the freezer until it had thawed. It was too late by then. Is that fusion cooking??

FarNorth Mon 03-Aug-15 22:05:50

jane10 that's a couple of excellent recipes there grin.

phoenix hope you've enjoyed your supper, it sounds great to me.smile

Anne58 Mon 03-Aug-15 22:14:44

Have I got it right now? Don't mean the supper; giveñ up on that¡ mean posting although punctuation may be a bit haphazard!

merlotgran Mon 03-Aug-15 22:18:25

The Spanish is interesting grin

Lona Mon 03-Aug-15 22:37:23

gringrin
Keep going P You're doing ok!

SloeGinny Mon 03-Aug-15 22:48:25

Hope you enjoyed your supper Phoenix, sounds lovely.

If it makes you feel any better, I had a box of chocolates for my lunch, hope you enjoyed your birthday, I did!

Coolgran65 Tue 04-Aug-15 00:38:18

Monday's dinner is always made from Sunday leftovers.
So, today we had potatoes, broccoli, carrots, parsnips, browned in a little extra virgin oil. Halfway to Browning I added a couple of chopped onions, Worcestershire sauce and layer added a handful of grated cheese. There was no left over roast beef so steak sausages were cooked on the George Foreman.
All onto the plates and the sausages were exquisitely arranged on top as though they were fillet steak.

After was coffee and a whole packet of Jacobs Fig Rolls. It is compulsory to eat the entire packet because to put fig rolls into the biscuit tin....they dry up and go brick hard . Yummmm

Coolgran65 Tue 04-Aug-15 00:38:50

Layer.....later

PRINTMISS Tue 04-Aug-15 08:04:26

Phoenix I am exhausted just reading your day - calm down, just drink the wine or whatever, RELAX!

daffydil Tue 04-Aug-15 08:28:16

Last night's dinner. Remove film wrapper from Charlie Brigham lasagne. Put in oven for 30 mins and pour a sherry (or whatever is your tipple) and relax. Serve lasagne, pour wine and enjoy.
Yes I do cook but don't mind in the least having a ready made when it is as good as this. Dessert was s Sainsbury 's fresh fruit tart.

Anne58 Tue 04-Aug-15 08:32:47

grin

Thanks all! SloeGinny my birthday is actually today, but as Mr P is away we sort of had a trial run on Sunday, and then as there was a bottle of Cava left over...............grin

Working today, but definitely need to get away early to get tonights supper and push the hoover round & re-arrange some dust.

2 things that I know are on the agenda, first finish the work of fiction sorting out the boss's "subsistence" expenses for July (he's never going to get that receipt for Gidleigh Park past the accountant) then contact Ikea and find out why we have have a full set of covers, but no sofa. confused

Of course the outer packaging has been thrown away, and no-one can remember exactly which day they were delivered! No doubt there will be other hurdles thrown into the path of the day, but at least we have donuts!

Gagagran Tue 04-Aug-15 08:34:50

Our last night's dinner was the other half of a cheese pie I made last week, which was de-frosted and baked in the halogen for 20 minutes, with some ratatouille. Followed by rum and raisin ice-cream. Very tasty too.

Tonight it will be scrambled eggs and smoked salmon as both need using and I am trying very hard to eat from store/freezer/fridge.

Gagagran Tue 04-Aug-15 08:36:46

Happy birthday phoenix - I shall think of you every year when I think of my Dad whose birthday would have been today too! flowers wine

annodomini Tue 04-Aug-15 08:52:46

Happy birthday, phoenix. And a good year to follow. flowers

rosesarered Tue 04-Aug-15 09:06:54

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Phoenix cupcake
some days are like that, it's all part of life's rich tapestry!
I well remember those kamikaze Devon tractors.

KatyK Tue 04-Aug-15 10:26:51

Happy birthday phoenix flowers As someone who started the 5:2 diet yesterday all this talk of food is making me ravenous. Now let me get at that fridge........smile I am assuming that when they say eat what you like on the non-diet days means I can eat the whole contents of my fridge and freezer? grin