Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone for cucumber sandwiches?

(93 Posts)
Anya Fri 05-Feb-16 08:20:12

hmm

Alea Fri 05-Feb-16 08:34:31

<sigh of relief> emoticon, this surely won't be contentious???
grin

Charleygirl Fri 05-Feb-16 08:52:23

Much prefer tomato with no added extras like lettuce.

kittylester Fri 05-Feb-16 08:52:31

It depends really:
Crusts on or off
Squares or triangles
Peeled cucumber or not
Salt and pepper
Splash of vinegar
And of course gf bread sad

grin

J52 Fri 05-Feb-16 08:55:42

I love cucumber, especially with granary bread, as a sandwich.

x

annsixty Fri 05-Feb-16 09:01:47

Very thin brown bread.
Seeds taken out of the cucumber,that produces all the "sogginess".
Crusts off the bread.
Lightly salted.
Very finest China.
Best quality light coloured tea.

Auntieflo Fri 05-Feb-16 09:02:31

Yes please KittyL, you can make mine anytime. When's tea time? smile

Charleygirl Fri 05-Feb-16 09:05:12

I appear to be less fussy- any type of brown bread and coffee in a mug for me please. Any offers?

Teetime Fri 05-Feb-16 09:14:54

I love cucumber sandwiches in the summer with a pot of very light, weak tea. BUT I have to say smoked salmon sandwiches would be preferable!! grin

NanaandGrampy Fri 05-Feb-16 09:22:06

Oh I love cucumber sandwiches !

Afternoon tea should be brought back a compulsory meal !

Teeny tiny cakes, cucumber sandwiches ( white bread and proper butter) and tea with a tea strainer :-)

annsixty Fri 05-Feb-16 09:29:07

Yes Nanaandg the cakes must be tiny,just a mouthful really.
I was taken to the Midland Hotel in Manchester for a treat by a good friend and it was delightful. When she repeated it we got SLICES of cake.Victoria sponge, date and walnut etc, not the same at all.
I will have my afternoon tea with you.

Anya Fri 05-Feb-16 11:16:18

But without wishing to be in any way contentious, do I peel the cucumber or leave the skin (rind?) on?

annsixty Fri 05-Feb-16 11:21:47

Well I leave it on.

rosesarered Fri 05-Feb-16 11:23:31

Well, Samuel Johnson once said ( something on the lines of ) 'peel and slice the cucumber very thinly, sprinkle with salt and pepper and vinegar....... Then throw away, as being fit neither for man nor beast.

However, he was probably more of a beef sandwich man.I love cucumber sandwiches and would never serve anything else at my famous afternoon teas.grin

Elegran Fri 05-Feb-16 11:24:20

Compromise, anya, compromise and tact. When I was about 15 I was invited to tea by a friend of the same age, whose mother had left everything ready for her to prepare - cold meat and salad. Friend wasn't sure whether to peel the cucumber or not, so she peeled down one half and left the other. Each slice had a semicircle of peel on it, so was neither peeled nor unpeeled. A no-win solution.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 05-Feb-16 11:25:53

I'm going to go out and buy a cucumber. It will get me out of the house.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 05-Feb-16 11:27:08

Leave it on. cba to peel it anyway

rosesarered Fri 05-Feb-16 11:27:41

Well, Anya I will stick MY neck out and say that cucumber sandwiches HAVE to be served on bone china plates, and not only that but they MUST be in the shape of fingers, (with all crusts taken off) and I'll fight any manJack of yer that sez different! grin

Ana Fri 05-Feb-16 11:28:15

Cucumber rind gives me terrible indigestion, so I always remove it. When DD was going through her stroppy teenage phase she demanded that I left her rind on!

annsixty Fri 05-Feb-16 11:29:57

When I was a child we used to have cucumber and raw onion sliced in vinegar,always with a sprinkle of sugar, which was supposed to make it easier to digest,with our tinned red salmon or boiled ham tea on Sunday afternoon.Very often the old aunts and uncles would be invited.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 05-Feb-16 11:30:02

shock That was a health kick! (She was going through)

rosesarered Fri 05-Feb-16 11:30:19

But.... If you remove it from the cucumber sandwich, that means you just have two slices of bread!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 05-Feb-16 11:31:12

I love tinned salmon! Good in cucumber sarnies too.

thatbags Fri 05-Feb-16 11:36:45

An old teacher of mine used to give me tinned salmon and hard-boiled eggs to eat when I visited her.

A favourite sandwich of mine is smoked salmon and parsley in a well buttered baguette or 'flute'. Minibags likes them too, without the parsley.

Unsalted butter, natch.

Oops! I seem to have digressed from the cucumber theme.

jogginggirl Fri 05-Feb-16 11:37:40

Please may I have my cucumber sandwiches with grated cheese - and on gluten free bread. Thank you smile

Leave it on!! The skin wink