Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help! How do I get rid of this?

(39 Posts)
minimo Wed 20-Apr-16 17:04:29

Earlier I finished my daily two blocks of Bournville (I need to have boundaries or I'd finish the whole chocolate factory). I've just got up to go to the loo and noticed I've dropped a piece which has fallen onto my NEW white shirt and melted. sad I've rubbed it off as best I can but it's being quite defiant. I don't have any stain remover in the house. What can I do in the meantime before it sets?

Luckygirl Wed 20-Apr-16 17:07:07

Is this two whole bars of chock or two squares? My advice would be to give up chocolate! - I am only jealous as I cannot eat it as it gives me migraine - bitter, moi?

Put some vanish on it and then put it through the wash. That will teach you to buy new blouses! grin

Judthepud2 Wed 20-Apr-16 17:54:12

Yep. Vanish is my go to stain remover. Will clean even the nastiest of my DGSs' very nasty clothes. Maybe soak it in warm water until you can buy some.

harrigran Wed 20-Apr-16 18:09:08

As far as I know chocolate washes out in a normal machine wash unless of course it is a new, silk, white shirt.
Let it be a lesson to you and do as I do, if eating chocolate or curry wear a white towelling dressing gown grin

Ana Wed 20-Apr-16 18:17:42

Why white? Wouldn't a brown one be better...?

aggie Wed 20-Apr-16 18:36:08

Ordinary toilet soap and cols water , rub the soap on the stain and rinse till it goes

aggie Wed 20-Apr-16 18:36:39

cold water !!

cornergran Wed 20-Apr-16 18:52:07

I tend to use a solution of washing up liquid - but not on anything too delicate. Or a baby wipe - when I think what they get off fabric I worry about using them on a baby grin

Nelliemoser Wed 20-Apr-16 18:52:26

I have found all the alternative versions the oxy bleach stuff such as Vanish work very well.

bookdreamer Wed 20-Apr-16 19:36:22

But she doesn't have any stain remover in the house!

LullyDully Wed 20-Apr-16 19:41:48

When I quickly read the advice I thought varnish was being suggested......I did think that would be a bit sticky.grin

rosesarered Wed 20-Apr-16 23:47:39

Never rub a stain! spray with Vanish and wash straight away.Actually Ariel with actilift works on stains even without any Vanish ( I know 'cos I ran out of Vanish a while ago.)

rosesarered Wed 20-Apr-16 23:48:05

Wear a bib when eating chocolate.grin

f77ms Thu 21-Apr-16 04:57:08

As you have clearly said you have no stain remover !! just normal wash as soon as possible . Put a bit of washing liquid on the stain first .

oldgoat Thu 21-Apr-16 07:20:25

Sitting in the sun enjoying a tasty poached egg breakfast at our holiday apartment yesterday. Egg yolk all down the front of my cardi. Managed to get it off eventually with the only things available- washing-up liquid and kitchen paper. Then spent some time picking off the little white balls of paper. Will be eating breakfast wearing my nighty this morning.

Anya Thu 21-Apr-16 07:53:18

Visions of you going to bed tonight in a nighty with egg dribbled down the front old goat grin

Brings back memories of being shouted at by Sister Mary Francis and all I could think about was the egg stain on that big white thingmy the nuns wore round their neck and chest.

Anyone know what it was called?

aggie Thu 21-Apr-16 09:21:39

Is it a Wimple , or a Gorget ?

oldgoat Thu 21-Apr-16 09:46:06

Just a bit of toast this morning anya. When OH was still working, his tie used to catch the drips. Tricky to deal with on silk ties. One of my primary school teachers used to refer to food stains as 'canteen medals'.

minimo Thu 21-Apr-16 09:47:41

Give up chocolate!! Blasphemy Luckygirl grin I'm already down to only 2 squares...

I stupidly had rubbed it in in my attempt to get rid of it but put some washing liquid on (did you mean dishwashing liquid?) and put it in the wash immediately and there's only a VERY tiny faint mark there now you'd really have to search for. Am off to buy a towelling dressing gown for chocolate and curry eating purposes, thanks everyone. flowers

Worthingpatchworkers Thu 21-Apr-16 10:00:07

Ladies, did you not realise there is such a thing as adult bibs.....they have designs printed on them such as bow ties and ruffled shirts, Scottish themes and Santa themes....... Or.....just use an ordinary napkin....I've even resorted to a clean tea towel..... I've even created a bib out of a tea cloth.....

Lilyflower Thu 21-Apr-16 10:10:18

What I do is use Vanish soap or liquid on the stain, rubbing as much as I can away and then put the soiled item in a bucket of COLD water with neat detergent gel or powder directly on all parts of the stain. You can use Vanish powder at this stage but it's so strong it can bleach the fabric. I use 'Colour' gel tabs. Leave it at least 12 hours, preferably longer. Then put in the washing machine.

It's a lottery when you have stained an item of clothing as to whether it can be cleaned but this method has rescued many garments which looked ruined. Sometimes the strength of the detergent can fade the colour of a garment , but then, it would have been ruined by the stain anyway so there's nothing to lose by trying it.

Chocolate is organic and I have yet to fail to get an organic stain out by this method.
Good luck!

Persistentdonor Thu 21-Apr-16 10:32:02

I usually wet a stain with COLD water, and then apply a few drops of washing up liquid. I find that works on most things.

adnil1949 Thu 21-Apr-16 10:40:28

I used to work in a dry cleaners and washing up liquid or household soap are very good for getting most stains out. Just rub in then wash as usual.

HootyMcOwlface Thu 21-Apr-16 10:50:14

Wash immediately and hang out to dry in the sunshine. If there is a bit of a stain left, the sun should bleach it out.

shysal Thu 21-Apr-16 10:59:06

I love your name Hooty grin. Welcome if you are new.

I agree it is always worth having a Vanish bar in the cupboard. For grease stains I use lighter fluid rubbed in then wash as normal. Glad you have nearly removed the mark, minimo.