Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Advice on Air fryers and Halogen cookers please.

(16 Posts)
kittylester Wed 29-Jun-16 10:08:17

Lidl have got an air fryer for sale for £50 - should I buy one?

What do I need to think about, do you use yours, a lot, a little or is it in the (fairly large!!)cupboard?

Talking to DH about this (as he is driving past a large Lidl today!) we also got to thinking about Halogen oven type things. Are they any good? What do you use it for? Is a Remoska (sp) a similar product?

Thanks for your help everyone. flowers

MiniMouse Wed 29-Jun-16 10:24:32

Halogen ovens are brilliant. You can set the temperature, Ramoska you can't. HOs you can get an extension to raise the lid to enable cooking of larger items.

Badenkate Wed 29-Jun-16 10:24:40

I use my airfryer several times a week. I cook oven chips in the bottom and sausages/steak etc in the top. It's good for roast potatoes, stir fry veg, one-pan oven roasted dishes like chicken(in small pieces) and veg, curries, risotto. I'm sure there are other things I haven't tried yet! You really need one with a double pan and it's useful to have a programme for timing additions to the top - but that's not essential if you have a timer in the kitchen. There are lots of videos on Youtube showing you various recipes.

hildajenniJ Wed 29-Jun-16 10:50:57

I use my halogen oven at least three times a week. It's great for grilling, and roasting. I only have a single oven and it is handy for roasting potatoes and parsnips etc when I need extra oven space.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 29-Jun-16 11:15:54

I thought about buying an air fryer, but I can't see it's any different than doing thinly cut potato wedges in the oven. I think they might be just mini fan ovens. Probably save on left rickety though. Bit clunky to find a space for.

Don't know anything about halogen ovens.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 29-Jun-16 11:16:36

Sigh! Save on electricity

kittylester Wed 29-Jun-16 11:29:24

I wondered what was up with your left rickety jings grin I've done some googling and think I won't bother with the air fryer. DH says that if you are having real chips then you should have REAL chips.

Halogen ovens require more thought.hmm

Granof11 Wed 29-Jun-16 16:51:31

I've been using my halogen oven for about three years now. It's the best piece of kitchen equipment that I've ever owned. I use it for baking, roasting, grilling, in short for every job that you'd normally use your large oven. It's just so much cheaper to run, quicker and so easy to clean. I really recommend it whether you are a single householder or want to use it to supplement your usual oven when cooking for a family.

oldgoat Wed 29-Jun-16 17:16:48

I bought a Remoska to use in our campervan. It's not as bulky as a halogen oven and is very versatile. We roast joints, make stews and have even cooked sponge cakes in it.
It uses very little energy and though it doesn't have a temperature controller seems to work really well.
In fact we often use it in the house instead of the big electric oven.

Badenkate Wed 29-Jun-16 18:17:55

It really depends on what you normally cook. Airfryers aren't the thing to get if you want the meat roasted in the oven type meal. I don't know anything about Halogen ovens but people seem very pleased with them

NanaandGrampy Wed 29-Jun-16 18:22:18

We use our halogen often, it's very versatile. Our air fryer is languishing in the cupboard. It just hasn't hit the spot .

cornergran Thu 30-Jun-16 07:10:40

Never had an air fryer, not for us. We did have a halogen oven, used it a lot in preference to our aged cooker, but with our major down size came a down sized kitchen, everything has to work for its living. Checked the power consumption against the new oven, very little difference, in fact overall new oven seemed more economical so passed on the halogen cooker to family, who use it and love it. We do still use a Ramoska from our caravan days. Power use is negligible and it is earning it's keep - and space. Would probably replace it when it needs it. Too much choice out there now ?

kittylester Thu 30-Jun-16 07:23:43

Thank you all for your input. As I said above, we passed on the air fryer and will probably pass on the halogen oven.

I think this is the first time we've ever NOT gone mad on an impulse buy. Good old GN.

Marleygirl Thu 07-Sep-23 14:03:22

I love cooking and have been asked to give my thoughts on air frying. I would appreciate knowing what others think about their particular air fryer. Not interested in frozen chips, but more about cooking from scratch: pastry, pudding, cakes, scones and other aspects. I have done a week of tests on a tiny £27 Tower, and feel ready now for a larger pan size, say 8 x 8 ins. Any advice about products to avoid?

Jaxjacky Thu 07-Sep-23 14:53:50

We bought a halogen and used in once, gave it to a charity. I think it depends on your eating habits, we don’t often eat chips, but if we do I use frozen oven chips.
My best ever buy has been my slow cookers, a large (6+people) and a small for us. I cook whole joints and chickens, casseroles curries, soup etc. I don’t bake though.

MiniMoon Thu 07-Sep-23 16:08:44

I'm sure kittylester will have made her choice by now.
This thread is seven years old!