Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Gift ideas for 60th birthday for mother in law?

(43 Posts)
goldsticks Thu 30-Jun-16 11:30:51

My mil is going to be 60 in Aug and my husband and I are really struggling to think of a good gift? She likes 'smellies' but that's pretty much it and we can't very well give her some lavender bath salts for a big birthday? She doesn't really drink so no champagne etc, likes to 'potter' about the house and garden and do minor diy but that's about it. She also doesn't like a fuss and has vetoed any idea of a big bash (or even a little one) for her big day. Any ideas would be very welcome, thank you. She's a lovely,kind-hearted woman and we'd really like to do/give her something she'd love .

rockgran Thu 30-Jun-16 11:42:51

My son bought me a day at a spa for two so that I could take a friend. I loved it.

breeze Thu 30-Jun-16 11:46:00

There is a site where you can have a rose named after someone and have it delivered to them. Struggling to think what it's called now but you could google. If she loves pottering in the garden, she may like to put her named rose in and it will remind her of how thoughtful you were on her 60th when she looks at it.

harrigran Thu 30-Jun-16 11:46:59

A photo of the family, enlarged and framed or photo put on to canvas. I was given this for my 65th and it has pride of place in the lounge. An ipad would keep her in touch with friends.

breeze Thu 30-Jun-16 11:47:46

Just looked and there a few of them. Think I used country garden roses but can't remember for sure.

Teetime Thu 30-Jun-16 11:49:46

Jo Malone shops do a lovely experience where you have a hand massage whilst drinking champagne and choosing a perfume. You could have a bespoke perfume made at Pehaligons or Floris I believe.

granjura Thu 30-Jun-16 12:04:20

I'll go with rockgran's idea- day at spa for 2.

ninathenana Thu 30-Jun-16 12:23:09

Spa day is a lovely idea for a lot of people and you would know if it's her 'thing' but I wouldn't be happy showing off my wobbly bits grin
Maybe a night away or theatre tickets.
A nice piece of jewellery.

LullyDully Thu 30-Jun-16 12:30:07

You can have an artist to draw the house . We did this for my sil .

goldsticks Thu 30-Jun-16 12:30:33

Thanks. These are all great ideas. She's not the biggest fan of roses but I'll see if there are other plants that do something similar. I love the sound of the Jo Malone experience too. Might have to drop a hint to my own husband about that!

granjura Thu 30-Jun-16 13:05:55

Jewellery is so personal in choice- unless you go and choose it with her.

Another idea is to ask her which room she would like re-decorated- and either do it for her or pay someone to do it.

Lapwing Thu 30-Jun-16 13:09:05

Does she read much, if so how about an e-reader.

Liz46 Thu 30-Jun-16 13:11:36

I like Harrigran's idea of the photo.

I love owls and one of my daughters bought me an owl experience. I handled the owls and had a big glove on (with food) so that they flew onto my hand. Is there anything that she likes like that?

Another time, my daughters took me to the theatre and then out for a meal.

hulahoop Thu 30-Jun-16 13:30:01

Tea for two somewhere accessible to her

Voucher for massage etc

A day out

A meal out with family

Mine bought me a framed wooden family tree which can be added to if nescessary

Gagagran Thu 30-Jun-16 13:43:10

www.twentyfingers.co.uk/family-tree-papercut.html

Would this appeal - something different? I think it looks gorgeous and would much prefer something like this to a spa day or tea for two because we can do those things anyway. Not special!

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 30-Jun-16 13:55:29

What a stunning range of products Gagagran. I will definitely think about buying something for a special occasion.

KatyK Thu 30-Jun-16 17:40:16

When I was 60 someone bought me a year's subscription to a magazine which I loved. Also a voucher for afternoon tea is lovely or theatre ticket vouchers.

suzied Thu 30-Jun-16 18:13:07

If she has other children/ grandchildren see if you can get them all together for a photo shoot. I loved getting a photo of my 4 kids and 4 GC all together. A low key family party - all get together and take her out somewhere special.

cassandra264 Thu 30-Jun-16 23:16:02

My daughter's MIL and I were born in the same year and we get on well. She and my SIL treated us to a surprise joint 60th birthday tea at the Ritz, which was lovely (we two mothers had thought we were all going to see a film!). Wonderful surroundings - and the piano player there softly played Happy Birthday To You ( in the background, and among other things!). It was just the four of us; quiet, but sufficient atmosphere to make it special, and the chefs had been advised of the occasion and brought us a cake iced to mark the occasion. I shall never forget it - or the time we shared together. Time together to celebrate matters more than the most expensive present.

goose1964 Fri 01-Jul-16 09:15:42

can I vet the spa day, I too love smellies but I had a spa day once & it was soooooo boring

moobox Fri 01-Jul-16 09:33:16

I just made a lovely montage of family pics found on their their Facebook pages (stalker me!) for MIL's birthday. In this particular case I did the montage on Photoshop and had it printed professionally while I was ordering other stuff from my favourite cheap internet printers, so cost of that and frame were within a tenner. Although the images are small, it doesnt matter as with 8 in a 12by10 frame, they don't have to be large. With the letters of FAMILY down the centre, she will love it, going by what she made of the photobook last year.

Craftycat Fri 01-Jul-16 10:18:11

I got several vouchers for Beauty Salons- I had a lovely time trying them all out & my skin looked amazing afterwards- I kept going after that but not so often!!
I also got a champagne trip on London Eye whch was fun.
How about tickets for a show?

oznan Fri 01-Jul-16 10:26:21

Gagagran,those papercuts are beautiful!
Goldsticks,are you into crafting at all?For my brother's 60th,I made him an album called "(his name)The Black and White Years."
Using lots of family photos and scrapbooking techniques,it was a memory album from his birth up to his wedding and his own young family.I included letters,birthday cards,postcards,etc. that all had meaning for him.He was thrilled with his gift.
If you not a crafts person though,a printed photo album would be lovely too.

pinkwallpaper Fri 01-Jul-16 10:32:24

A large canvas dominating my sitting room would horrify me whatever the subject. You would be obliged to put it up.

chrissyh Fri 01-Jul-16 10:52:21

Afternoon tea is a lovely idea - most local hotels or tea shops do them. My friend received as a gift and has just had a garden tour which is 3 private gardens with tea and biscuits at the first, lunch at the second and afternoon tea at the third. The people who own the gardens are there to chat to about their gardens. I don't know who she went with but there is a web-site border-lines.co.uk and I am sure there are more. The only downside is, it is £135 per person.