Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What is Gransnet to you?

(67 Posts)
Mistyville Sun 25-Sep-16 13:23:23

My first time on Gransnet. I have spent a couple of hours browsing and generally learning the abbreviations (think I understand them all now). I have joined to meet with people who are going through the same experiences with me. Weddings, GC, DS and DIL's, not to mention issues associated with 'that time of life' What is Gransnet to you?

whitewave Sun 25-Sep-16 13:29:20

Love the political debate! Which makes me an oddity!! Just general chit chat really. I do avoid too much personal unpleasantness if I can.

I also am no good at the sort of chat that goes on in the kitchen -wish I was but it isn't me somehow.

Mistyville Sun 25-Sep-16 13:32:51

Certainly do not want to get involved in personal unpleasantness, do enjoy political debate though especially as I know so few people who are politically interested unless it impacts them

millymouge Sun 25-Sep-16 13:39:03

I do enjoy Gransnet and it always surprises me how much excellent advice and support you can find on there if you have a problem. I would think that if you are on your own it would be comforting to know that there is always someone there that you can call on if you are feeling low. The only down side for me is that I have found some people can be, shall we say rather forceful in their opinions and find it difficult to accept that some people don't agree with them. I have wondered if they are like that in life or is it that the anonymity of the forum brings it out. However, being a bit of a coward, if I see a thread that is going that way I do tend to step back from it and although I might like to post I tend to keep my opinion to myself. Having said all that I am sure you will enjoying being on it and make some long term friends, I know I do.

Jane10 Sun 25-Sep-16 13:58:49

I like the variety. All sorts of things people come up with to discuss. Its also a space for a good rant at times with the chance to discover that its not just you who thinks something or other. Sometimes arguments erupt, but that's life. I like the meet ups too.

Mistyville Sun 25-Sep-16 14:02:15

Thank you Milly

granjura Sun 25-Sep-16 14:05:21

For me, as I live abroad- it is the only way I have to discuss/debate UK related issues - those that affect my adult children, family, friends and mainly grand-children in the UK. Especially so as we have kept a foot in England and may well return at the point when travelling to and from becomes too difficult.

Wobblybits Sun 25-Sep-16 14:23:16

I love Gn (most of the time), but I do wish tere were a few more men on here, they seem to get frightened off after a while.

I have lost my rag a few times, thrown my toys out of the pram and flounced off in a cloud of dust.

BUT, I very soon miss my friends on here and crawl back. My problem is, I can only be myself, as in RL, and cannot hide behind another persona for more than a few days.

I tend to watch GN whilst I am watching TV, as I am doing now.

I prefer the light hearted threads where i can be cheeky and usually get away with it. I also like to help where my expertise allows.

TriciaF Sun 25-Sep-16 14:27:04

As Jane wrote, the variety is what I like most. Variety of topics and of the different types of Grans and Grandads (wish there were more of the latter.) And there's always something new, it's a very busy forum (though not as busy as Mumsnet, which I find confusing.)
Most of the other forums I belong to are dying, partly to do with Facebook I think. Which I haven't joined.

hildajenniJ Sun 25-Sep-16 14:34:12

I moved away from my old friends. I keep in touch with one or two via Facebook. I like Gransnet for the daily company. I'm going to my first meet up on Friday, and looking forward to it immensely. I steer clear of any threads that appear contentious. I pick and choose. I like the advice of ladies my age if I have a problem, and everyone was very positive last year when I had a call back to the breast clinic. I hope you enjoy Gransnet.

NanaandGrampy Sun 25-Sep-16 14:34:17

I like the 'window' into others opinions, thoughts, issues and solutions.

I'm not a political animal per se so usually avoid those threads as they're a little too 'forceful' for my easy going style. It's nice to know when reading all these posts that you're not alone I whatever you're facing.

Welcome to the world of GN Mistyville smile

Greyduster Sun 25-Sep-16 14:56:06

Like Hilda I don't have a lot of female company and spend most of my time with DH, high I love, but it is nice to touch base with the distaff side

Greyduster Sun 25-Sep-16 15:02:10

Sorry, I hadn't finished! I like the variety, the humour, and the empathy and support. I don't tend to stick my head above the parapet for anything political - I can't hold my own with the big girls - so I tend toward the lightweight threads. I value having so many nice people to chat to - even if it is virtual!

Mistyville Sun 25-Sep-16 15:12:52

sounds like I might have a good time on here I do work during the week but am a fishing widow during the weekend so enjoy having a surf

obieone Sun 25-Sep-16 15:13:24

I think my reason is a bit selfish really.
I spend some time on the computer for a couple of different reasons, so when I need to switch off from it and have time, I switch across to gransnet, which is the exact reason I am on it now.

In some strange way, which I have not figured out, gransnet tends to exercise the grey matter, and make my thinking clearer for other things.

I do hope though that I give to gransnet as well as take!!

whitewave Sun 25-Sep-16 15:54:51

What surprised me is how average I am! I thought that my thoughts, body falling apart, stuff I like or dislike etc. Was a bit out of the ordinary but it isn't! I am Mrs Average which peeves me slightly.

seacliff Sun 25-Sep-16 15:57:06

Welcome Mistyville. I enjoy the variety too. Sometimes I look at a thread that initially I didn't think would be of interest to me, and am surprised to enjoy it and often learn something new.

Depending on my mood, I sometimes dip into the games and word association threads - it is a lighthearted escape from other worries. I've noticed these type of threads are popular at night, presumably when people are having trouble sleeping for one reason or another.

I don't post that much, but if I have a problem, or just want to know anything, I search on GN and an answer is often found.

Judthepud2 Sun 25-Sep-16 15:58:21

I just love the company. The longer I have been on, the more I can relate to certain regular posters. Enjoy many of the threads. Love the way I can cherrypick the conversations to get involved in. Yes, there is occasionally some contentiousness but I tend to lurk around these and rarely express my opinion, except for the one that GN has just deleted. It was becoming rather unpleasant, unnecessarily so IMO.

I have learnt a lot from wise souls, enjoyed the banter, received some TLC when in crisis and I hope given some to those who needed it. Some people complain that they don't always get their posts acknowledged but that doesn't bother me. It just means I get extra pleasure when they are.

Welcome Misty. I hope you enjoy being a GN member.

DanniRae Sun 25-Sep-16 16:04:30

Hi Mistyville! I love going onto gransnet -especially the fun threads such as choosing a sport for the gransnet olympics or planning the C***** pantomime. I NEVER get involved in anything shouty, I'm too much of a coward. I really love it when I have posted something and next time I check someone says I 100% agree with DanniRae. That's a real boost for me!!

So welcome and I hope you get to love it as much as I do.
smile

Charleygirl Sun 25-Sep-16 16:11:52

Welcome Misty. I have enjoyed meetups with GNs who live locally and 4 of us have been meeting monthly for 2 years now for a coffee or two. We are each totally different, would possibly not meet up normally but we get on like a house in fire.

I also like the vast range of expertise around and where I can I have used my professional experience to help out.

On the whole people are friendly and hospitable- I also stay away from certain threads unless like the one today riled me so much that I put my pennyworth in if only to stick up for another GN who I have never met and only know her from her comments on line.

Enjoy!

Kupari45 Sun 25-Sep-16 16:36:00

Welcome Mistyville. I hope you will get to enjoy all the threads as much as I do. I'm not very good at keeping in touch and making friends etc. However In the three years I've been looking at gransnet each day, I feel that all the familiar names have become friends.
They have helped me from the early days of coping with my daughters death on the Bereavement thread to making me smile every day at some of the funny things that happen to us all.
Hope you enjoy Gransnet.

Tizliz Sun 25-Sep-16 17:41:43

Gransnet gives me someone to talk to, much as I love my OH we spend too long together and he is not very good at listening. I like the links to various topics that are posted which I might not have read otherwise though I don't often join in the resulting discussion. I also enjoy the wine and cupcake that soop provides

M0nica Sun 25-Sep-16 17:42:06

I come onto Gransnet for so many reasons. For distraction, GN is the most effective and interesting reason for procrastination I know of.

The variety of people on GN; most of us mix in everyday life with people much like us. On GN you meet people from completely different different backgrounds and lifestyles and I value this contact with other lives and reading their opinions.

I do enjoy the political ding-dongs that arise now and again, but do find they go on, and on, and on, and on, and on................ so usually drop out after a few pages as the same things are said for the third time.

Conversations almost always stay courteous and impersonal, no matter how much we disagree. Yes, there are occasional spats, but compared with the abuse etc I read on other forums just does not appear on Gransnet. Gransnetters also write clearly and correctly and spell well, I know we all have moments, my proof readingis atrocious.

And at times the sheer silliness of some threads keeps me in a bubble of giggles.

I also the meet-ups and have made new friends that way.

Dilinneed Sun 25-Sep-16 20:16:56

I have recently joined as a dil who was desperate to resolve mil issues (they aren't) but it was so great to get advice from the mil perspective. It helps a lot reading posts and seeing what part I have played in my rubbish relationship- I have confidence were making headway so I can only thank you all for that

Falconbird Sun 25-Sep-16 20:55:05

I joined Gransnet after a series of terrifying and life changing events, which have left me with generalised anxiety.

My fears are worst in the morning so I Log On to Gransnet to see who is up and about. It makes me feel connected to the outside world and not so alone.

I've had wonderful advice and given advice when I think I'm qualified. I find it calming, caring and stablising as well as a lot of fun. I enjoy reading the political debates but don't join in.