Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Live webchat with Children's Laureate Julia Donaldson - Friday 2 March 12-1pm

(76 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 23-Feb-12 16:23:33

We are absolutely thrilled that the Children's Laureate will be joining us at GNHQ on 2nd March.

Julia Donaldson is one of the UK’s most popular children’s authors. She started her career writing songs for children’s television then in 1993, one of her songs was made into a book, A Squash And A Squeeze. Since then she has written over 100 books and plays for children and teenagers. She is probably best known for her partnership with Axel Scheffler, illustrator of best-selling book The Gruffalo, amongst many others.

Her latest book - illustrated by Nick Sharratt - is Goat Goes To Playgroup. It's a comforting story that's perfect for grans/parents to read to children starting at, or already attending, a playgroup: Goat has lots of fun with the musical instruments and the dressing up box but causes a commotion in the classroom by getting into a muddle or two. amzn.to/yOBmUO

In 2011 Julia was announced as the Children’s Laureate, for a term of two years, and was awarded an MBE in The Queen’s Birthday Honours. You can find out more on her website: www.juliadonaldson.co.uk

Add your questions for her here

(Oh and keep an eye on our Kids' Book of the Month pages - a treat for Julia Donaldson fans coming up in the next few weeks!)

Iwasframed Fri 02-Mar-12 12:31:44

Sorry NSube! Not concentrating properly...

JuliaDonaldson Fri 02-Mar-12 12:32:24

Nsube

I'd like to know what books you read as a child. I read Enid Blyton, Angela Brazil and all sorts of rubbish. But they turned me into a reader. I'm just so envious of children today who have a wealth of wonderful writing to enjoy - your books being some of the very best.

Have you been inspired or influenced by any other children's writers?

Sorry that's two questions!

One of my favourite authors was Richmal Crompton who wrote the William books. I think I modelled myself on 11-year-old William - specially the eloquent way he argued with his parents! In one book, when his mother asks why he wears his socks out so quickly he replies that it's because his brain is too heavy from having to go to school, and argues that she should stop sending him there.

JuliaDonaldson Fri 02-Mar-12 12:35:14

scribblegranny

Hi Julia, Thanks for coming on - what a treat!

When did you start writing? I only became aware of your books about 10 years ago, but you seem to have written so many.

Are you very prolific? Or was I just slow catching on?!

I wrote songs for about 20 years before my first book was published. That was in 1993. It's true I've written a lot, but most of them are quite short! (Though I have written some books for older children, such as The Giants and the Joneses.) So glad you enjoy the books.

JuliaDonaldson Fri 02-Mar-12 12:37:51

cm22v077

Hi Julia,
How did you find the experience of making the TV adaption of The Gruffalo?
Thanks!!

The film company were a joy to work with, being very respectful to my wishes and to those of Axel Scheffler, the illustrator. I think the casting was excellent - specially the voice of Helena Bonham-Carter as narrator. She sounds slightly sinister, which I think is much better than being all hearty and Joyce Grenfell-like.

personals Fri 02-Mar-12 12:38:25

Hi Julia, do children's writers get treated as not-proper writers? Does anyone ever ask you if you're going to write a 'proper' book for grownups?

JuliaDonaldson Fri 02-Mar-12 12:40:51

torridtimes

Are you enjoying being the Children's Laureate? What does it entail and did you have any qualms about accepting?

Yes, I'm really enjoying my new(ish) role, though it's very full-on! I knew it would be a lot of work so I didn't really have any qualms. The job entails being a spokesperson for the world of children's books, plus each Laureate brings something of his or her self to the job. In my case, my "Big Things" are my passion for drama and music, my enthusiasm for libraries, and also my interest
in signed stories for deaf children. You can find out more on the laureate website, which is [www.childrenslaureate.org.uk]

cheeriblegran Fri 02-Mar-12 12:42:12

Do you have to keep in touch with children to be a children's author? Or does your sense of what excites children come from inside you and your own childhood?

jakesgran Fri 02-Mar-12 12:42:47

Personals - I was going to ask something similar - all that fuss this week when JK Rowling said she was going to write a novel for grown ups. So I will ask something else instead...

We love Squash and a Squeeze - I have heard the story is loosely based on an old parable (certainly the old man does look vaguely rabbinical). Is that just a myth or is it true?

JuliaDonaldson Fri 02-Mar-12 12:43:15

swizzle

Thanks so much for this, Julia, my DGCs are great fans of your books (as are Mr Swizzle and I).

Do you have to be very disciplined with your writing, or do you just write when the fancy takes you?

I'm afraid I'm not a creature of routine, so I tend to write when I have a good idea, and then there is no stopping me. Otherwise I can go for weeks without writing - though I am always involved in the books as I do of stage shows based on them, at book festivals and in theatres. In fact, I think I spend more of my time devising these shows than actually writing - and I have a room full of props in my house.

JuliaDonaldson Fri 02-Mar-12 12:45:32

cheeriblegran

Do you have to keep in touch with children to be a children's author? Or does your sense of what excites children come from inside you and your own childhood?

Interesting questions! I do see a lot of children as I do so many library visits. And I now have two small gradchildren of my own, one of whom has given me an idea for a baby book. But mainly I think the ideas come, as you suggest, from my imagination and my own childhood.

JuliaDonaldson Fri 02-Mar-12 12:48:00

personals

Hi Julia, do children's writers get treated as not-proper writers? Does anyone ever ask you if you're going to write a 'proper' book for grownups?

I know what you mean. There's a very funny Posy Simmonds cartoon on that subject. But actually I can't say (thankfully) that I've had that experience. This may be because so many of my books ARE read by adults, at bedtime with their children. It does annoy me when "adult" writers and celebs think it would be easy to write a children's book, because it certainly isn't!

JuliaDonaldson Fri 02-Mar-12 12:49:37

jakesgran

Personals - I was going to ask something similar - all that fuss this week when JK Rowling said she was going to write a novel for grown ups. So I will ask something else instead...

We love Squash and a Squeeze - I have heard the story is loosely based on an old parable (certainly the old man does look vaguely rabbinical). Is that just a myth or is it true?

You're absolutely right. A Squash and a Squeeze is based on an old folk tale. I wrote it as a song for a children's television programme years and years before it was turned into a book. Someone told me the traditional story but I didn't know then that it was a Jewish one or I probably wouldn't have included a pig!

panther Fri 02-Mar-12 12:49:52

Is there any of your books that you think has been underrated, or overlooked?

JuliaDonaldson Fri 02-Mar-12 12:52:37

Iwasframed

Thanks for coming to Gransnet. I wondered: What writers do you like to read?
And have you been influenced by other authors, either for children or adults?

Some of my favourite novelists (for adults) are Rose Tremain, Ian McEwan and Ruth Rendell. One of my all-time favourite children's writers is Arnold Lobel who wrote the Frog and Toad books. His fable-like writing probably has been an influence. So has Edward Lear - my granny used to read me his poems when I was very little.

mjhubba Fri 02-Mar-12 12:54:34

Hi Julia
Just for fun. Could you finish off this rhyme? Putting you on the spot here!
Thanks
Michelle

Little boy Benny visited the Upper Norwood Joint Library
He looked around and he laughed with glee
So many books and CDs too
XXXXXXX

JuliaDonaldson Fri 02-Mar-12 12:55:47

mjhubba

Yes Julia you are right - libraries are vital. Do you have a date for your tour? And where do we find out about what and when you are lobbying?
Thanks again

The tour dates aren't firmly fixed yet but it will be in September and October (plus I'm visiting other libraries in the meantime - Monmouth on Monday!) It's quite hard to find time to keep posting everything I'm doing, specially as I'm not a natural blogger, but the laureate website does report on some of my activities (www.childrenslaureate.org.uk). This month I have been to see Ed Vaizey the libraries minister, and also Ed Miliband.

JuliaDonaldson Fri 02-Mar-12 12:57:59

panther

Is there any of your books that you think has been underrated, or overlooked?

Thanks for this opportunity! I always wish my three Princess Mirror-Belle books were better known. There are three chapter books about her. She's a naughty boastful reflection who comes out of the mirror and gets the real-life girl into all sorts of mischief. Another - younger - book I'm really keen on is One Ted Falls Out of Bed, with beautiful soft illustrations by Anna Currey. It's a kind of counting adventure set in a night-time bedroom.

mjhubba Fri 02-Mar-12 12:58:58

We love Princess Mirror-Belle - we often get it out and have listened to it on CD too.

JuliaDonaldson Fri 02-Mar-12 13:00:17

mjhubba

Hi Julia
Just for fun. Could you finish off this rhyme? Putting you on the spot here!
Thanks
Michelle

Little boy Benny visited the Upper Norwood Joint Library
He looked around and he laughed with glee
So many books and CDs too
XXXXXXX

I think you should ask Benny to supply the fourth line! So glad you're both library-users.

JuliaDonaldson Fri 02-Mar-12 13:03:17

hexagran

Your books are fantastic for showing children the delight of books - but do you worry that as they get older and have to make the transition from being-read-to to reading for themselves, it's difficult to keep them interested? We have found with all our 5 grandchildren that there are so many competing entertainments nowadays that it's hard to persuade them the work is worthwhile. Have you any tips for encouraging children to read for themselves?

My main tip for encouraging children to read for themselves would be to take them to the library. Also, don't discourage them from re-visiting their favourite picture books. And keep reading to them at bedtime! If you read the first chapter they may be keen to carry on by themselves. (But it's important not to pressurise them.)

JuliaDonaldson Fri 02-Mar-12 13:05:03

eGJ

Are you coming to Cheltenham this autumn? It's a not to be missed event by my chandchildren

I'm afraid I'm not going this year - but I will be at the Bath Festival.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 02-Mar-12 13:05:53

A huge thank you to Julia - not only for coming in but also for getting through what must be a record number of questions. It's been fantastic to get the inside story on so many of our best-loved books.

Keep an eye out not only for "Goat Goes To Playgroup" but also her next book which you'll see featured on Gransnet very soon.

Julia also has a brand new exhibition which brings many of her stories to life - it's at Seven Stories, the national centre for children’s books, Ouseburn Valley, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 2PQ www.sevenstories.org.uk

And here's a click through link to the children's laureate information mentioned earlier www.childrenslaureate.org.uk

mjhubba Fri 02-Mar-12 13:07:21

Great chat. Thank you to Julia. An inspiration to us all. Good luck with all your work as Childrens Laureate and with Goat Goes To Playgroup - how can it not be a huge success?
x

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 02-Mar-12 15:22:29

All those who enjoyed the great webchat earlier will be excited to learn that we also recorded Julia singing her song "Funny Face" after the webchat was over.

(We spied she brought her guitar with her, and bullied her into it smiled sweetly until she agreed.)

You can watch it on Youtube

It's a real treat - enjoy!

angus123 Mon 18-Jun-12 05:39:58

I have all of your books and this year hosted a Gruffalo party for the first graders I work with. When I had a horrific fall,breaking both my arms in late Feb. the kids drew all sorts of pictures for me and dedicated a bulletin board in the hallway of our school to me and The Highway Rat. I am eagerly awaiting the new group of kids. I sent you lots of Gruffalo pictures with the first graders and hope you got them. Hoping to get Zog Gets a Gold Star soon. It was reviewed in the NY Times Book review today. Looking forward to Superworm. Wish you could visit our school and then my life would be complete!