Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn Q&A

(84 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 31-Jan-13 15:20:54

Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn's thriller about a young woman who disappears on her fifth wedding anniversary, topped the bestseller lists in America and went straight into the top 10 when it came out in paperback here.

It's our Book of the Month for February and Gillian will be doing a Q&A with us at the end of the month.

Ask your questions here. Don't forget spoiler alerts! smile

numberplease Thu 31-Jan-13 17:16:22

I read this a few weeks ago, found it a bit slow and boring, I`m afraid, not at all what I was expecting from a best seller.

Kali Sat 02-Feb-13 12:50:07

Thank you for my copy which has just arrived. Will read soon and feed back smile

jeni Sat 02-Feb-13 12:50:46

Mine has just arrived as well. Thankyou!

annodomini Sat 02-Feb-13 13:38:06

Mine too. Looking forward to reading it. Thank you. smile

Quiltinggran Sat 02-Feb-13 13:48:56

Mine too. Thank you - it was a lovely surprise as I'd forgotten all about it.

matson Sat 02-Feb-13 16:59:26

looking forward to reading the copy, its just arrived, thank you very much x

gracesmum Sat 02-Feb-13 20:10:48

Very surprised to get mine today as I had completely forgotten I had asked for it. Thank you!

MaggieP Sat 02-Feb-13 20:29:19

Thanks from me too, it was waiting on my return from a day in London. I look forward to reading it.

Grannie48 Sun 03-Feb-13 21:19:49

Thank you for my copy. It was a lovely surprise. smile

gracesmum Mon 04-Feb-13 13:50:42

Started trying to read this last night and have to say I was not grabbed. Anyone got a better experience? I will give it another go, but not sure.....

dorsetpennt Mon 04-Feb-13 13:55:40

A friend lent me her copy - sorry I thought it was awful.

harrigran Mon 04-Feb-13 14:07:32

Who decides the titles of books that are up for grabs ? I have read all that I received but find some poor and some unreadable.
The children's books have been fantastic and read with enthusiasm.

glammanana Mon 04-Feb-13 14:27:48

I started to read my copy on Saturday night and found it hard going,not very enamoured at all but will try and get into it over next few days.Thank you for my copy GNHQ.

numberplease Mon 04-Feb-13 15:45:40

I`m in agreement with all the reviews on here so far. I was expecting so much more from W.H.Smith`s book of the week when I bought it. I read it through, but was not thrilled with it at all, will not be bothering with any more books by Gillian Flynn I`m afraid.

goose1964 Wed 06-Feb-13 08:17:05

I must be one of the few that enjoyed it - I like the way both characters are dysfunctional but seem normal from the outside. I will admit it was not an easy read, but far easier than some other books I've read

glammanana Wed 06-Feb-13 09:53:16

After trying to get into the book again I have decided to put in on the back shelf I find it very hard to get into and will maybe try again at a later date.

GrandmaH Wed 06-Feb-13 10:18:12

Got my free copy- Many thanks.Looking forward to reading it- I hope I can get into it quickly as I have another book to read for my Reading Group so may have to start it & finish later- which is not the way I like to read a book usually.
I do always feel I must leave a question if I have got a free book so will persevere.

annemac101 Wed 06-Feb-13 13:07:43

Thanks for my copy. I'm finding it really hard to read and if Ive already guessed the ending Ill be mad. I will keep going as I always like to ask a question,at this moment the question will be ,"why". Hope it gets better.

Lowslung Fri 08-Feb-13 14:25:36

Many thanks for the book. I am half way through it so far and really enjoying it. I am finding the characters interesting, though I may not like them very much, and the plot intriguing. I like the odd little twists in the plot that pop up every so often too - they keep things moving - where , I don't know yet, and certainly not why!

Gorki Fri 08-Feb-13 15:10:17

Thank you for my copy.I have been trying to read it in bed but have found myself drifting off to sleep.I can usually get into books quite quickly but I am not finding this very interesting.I can't really empathise with any of the characters but I will keep going for a bit longer.

wallers5 Fri 08-Feb-13 15:22:57

Find it very hard going too. Always a difficult question when & whether to give up on a book but I think I will on this one! ~Sorry.

glammanana Fri 08-Feb-13 15:46:31

I am going to give this another go as I think it deserves the benefit of the doubt,I will review it before the end of the month.

Grandmanorm Fri 08-Feb-13 16:22:19

Thank you for my copy, like many others, I am finding it hard to get into. I shall persevere though.

Irene16 Fri 08-Feb-13 17:31:07

Thanks for the book which I received this week. I'm pleased to read the comments above as I had started to think that it was just me that had a problem getting started and into the book. Like the others I will have another go this weekend and see if it improves. hmm