Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Post a book review and win a copy of It Might Be An Apple

(8 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 13-Apr-15 16:38:59

We have five copies of this imaginative children's book to give away to those who post a book review (of any book, children's or adult).

A wildly inventive story for children, It Might Be An Apple, by Shinsuke Yoshitake sees a child return home from school to find an ordinary apple sitting ordinarily on the table. But what if this isn’t an ordinary apple? The child launches into a wild train of thought about all the things that the apple might be - it might be an egg! It might be an edible house! Or a tiny planet that fell to the earth! What if the apple has feelings? It might be lonely, or sleepy, it might even wish it were something else? What if it belongs to a legion of tiny apple aliens, and it wants to go home?

Quirky and imaginative, It Might Be An Apple introduces children to philosophical ideas, and encourages lateral creative thinking. With a gentle and humorous approach, this imaginative book chimes with the growing trend in primary schools to use critical thinking in children’s approach to new topics.

Leave your review here www.gransnet.com/reviews by 27 April and we'll announce the winners shortly after!

Ariadne Mon 13-Apr-15 19:07:28

"Not Quite Nice" - Celia Imrie

Having admired Celia Imrie in almost every role she has played, I was looking forward to reading this book, and ready to admire it. I was so, so disappointed. The novel has an intriguing set of characters and a plot which, if interwoven skilfully, could have produced a great novel.

Unfortunately, the ideas, the characters and the promising multi layered plot were only very loosely knit,if at all. Stitches were dropped everywhere, and some were added, as if the author had realised she had missed something out and hastened to correct it then and there, rather than taking the time to go back and correct anomalies.

I ploughed on to the end, wanting to know the outcome (which I had predicted correctly) The disappointment lingers.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 13-Apr-15 20:16:11

Hi Ariadne, would you mind posting in the reviews section? There's a link in the text above but it's probably not very obvious - I'll add another one! smile

Elrel Thu 16-Apr-15 23:06:56

'Randall or The Painted Grape' by Jonathan Gibb is a tale of the 90s and beyond. Vincent, City financier, is drawn into a circle of Young British Artists, he enjoys hanging out with them while the maverick Randall soon exploits the financial contacts he offers. Against backgrounds ranging from from Goldsmiths' College and Dubai to Wiltshire and New York, the artists variously support each other, drift apart and even sabotage works of art as they look for prestige, wealth and. authenticity, sometimes simultaneously.
Initially perhaps a little difficult to get into, soon the book takes the reader on a roller coaster ride of artistic and moral clashes to the very end. I was torn between impatiently to know more and regret that such an intelligent and intriguing story had to come to an end. Not for squeamish but if you've considered how money and art feed off each other you'll go for this remarkable first novel!

Maggiemaybe Tue 21-Apr-15 11:47:28

I've posted a review of the latest GN Book Club choice, Life, Love and the Archers on the Book Club thread, but also in the Book Review section, as I enjoyed it so much.

trisher Wed 22-Apr-15 11:10:10

The Thread by Victoria Hislop. A great read especially if you are holidaying in Greece this year. The story of Kristina and Dimitri keeps you reading until the end and takes you on a journey through the history and culture of Thessaloniki. Even if you aren't on holiday it is worth reading. It is a wonderful mix of information and story and all of the characters are fascinating and captivating. You live through their trials and tribulations with them. Only criticism -I really wanted to know what happened to Elias, but maybe that is a different novel!

Elrel Tue 28-Apr-15 16:33:52

My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece by Annabel Pitcher, a Young Adult novel. The story is seen through the eyes of a ten year old boy who has moved to the Lake District after a tragic loss in London. His closest relationship is with his ginger cat, Roger, as he tries to adjust to a new environment, a new school and most difficult, changes in his family.
As time passes there are more changes to cope with until everything builds up to an unforgettable event in Manchester which forces him to accept life as it really is. He finds that after a loss, however great, life goes on and that people are not always as we think they are.

dmET70 Tue 05-May-15 19:56:06

"Thornfield Hall" by Jane Stubbs. It tells the tale of Alice Fairfax when she becomes the housekeeper at Thornfield in1821. Mr Rochester presents her with a woman who is to be hidden away on the third floor. Who is she? Why is she being kept hidden from anyone ? In Jane Eyre's house of secrets only the servants knew the truth It is a compelling read to find out exactly what happened at Thornfield and how Alice Fairfax became involved
and mysteries spring up everywhere in the characters as you read on.
A real sequel in adding to the classic "Jane Eyre". It is compelling, surprising and a very well written story behind " Jane Eyre" as told by those below stairs. A must for those readers who enjoy a story set in this period of history