Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What are you reading.

(189 Posts)
Humbertbear Tue 31-Dec-13 12:31:43

I am reading Divergent by Veronica Roth. It's Part 1 of a trilogy and the film is out in April, can't wait! It's set in Chicago in a distopian future when 16 year olds have to select which tribe they belong to. The tribes live separately and have different roles in society. I don't want to give too much away but suffice it to say that it is lunchtime and I am still in bed reading it! I keep promising myself just one more chapter .....
It was a Kindle Daily Deal this week and both my daughter and I were hooked from page 1 of the sample.

numberplease Tue 31-Dec-13 17:00:19

I`ve just finished The Winter Folly, by Lulu Taylor, and loved it, bought it as half price book of the week at Smiths. Would recommend it. Have just started Caedmon`s Song, by Peter Robinson, not quite his usual offering methinks, but will probably be OK.

mollie65 Tue 31-Dec-13 17:10:11

I have just finished reading the latest Phil Rickman book ' the magus of Hay' (borrowed from the library) - one of his Merrily Watkins series. I don't think it is as good as his previous books in the series - which if you like crime and psychic phenomenon do give them a try. Of course because I live in the border Herefordshire country he describes so eloquently I probably get more out of the books smile
I have also just finished the latest Sue Grafton book 'w is for wasted' from her alphabet series - although about an American PI she is so well characterised and the writing is excellent. (there is a book for each letter of the alphabet - should really start with the first)

Zephrine Tue 31-Dec-13 17:11:52

I'm reading All the colours of darkness by Peter Robinson, enjoying it so far but know there must be a nasty twist in it soon.

Zephrine Tue 31-Dec-13 17:14:31

Love Sue Grafton Mollie but haven't got round to Wasted yet.

thatbags Tue 31-Dec-13 17:16:00

The Atholl Expedition by Alex Roddie.

Nonu Tue 31-Dec-13 17:36:07

I read Sue Grafton also , have them all except about the last three letters .
Wonder if she did write those ?
I do find though, it is better to read them alphabetically as although they are each a story in their own right . They have several of the main characters and their lives , running through them ie the woman who runs the bar !
tchsmile

mollie65 Tue 31-Dec-13 17:45:43

the 'w for wasted' is the recent release - reserved from the library
agree start at A if you can then you understand not only Kinsey and her way of life but the other characters that feature in the stories. - like her Landlord (and his family) and the woman who owns the bar smile and sundry policemen.
think she is in her 60s now so hope she will complete to Z

Bez Tue 31-Dec-13 18:04:35

I have just finished ' And the Mountains Echoed' by Khaled Hosseni - the first book of his I have read although I saw the Kite Runner. I must say I was disappointed as I felt it was very disjointed and finished abruptly - I knew more about some minor characters than was necessary and not enough about the main ones.
I have just started the Jan book club choice which is Madame Bovary by Flaubert.

Nonu Tue 31-Dec-13 18:04:35

The last letter I have is V for Vengence .
I tend to pick them up from charity shops --just a bit of fun !

Tegan Tue 31-Dec-13 18:18:19

I'm glad you felt that, Bez [I felt the same]. I think you might like A Thousand Splendid Suns More. Although very similar, I found it more of a 'complete' book [if that makes sense].

Bez Tue 31-Dec-13 18:43:23

Will give that a tryTegan I do have a copy which was passed onto me and as yet have not read.

numberplease Tue 31-Dec-13 22:59:12

I`ve read all the Sue Grafton books, not got around to W yet, but will soon. It is better to start with A though.

Aka Sun 26-Jan-14 12:36:10

This made me cry 'This Fragile Life' by Kate Hewitt

janerowena Sun 26-Jan-14 13:53:26

A 1950s Housewife, by Sheila Hardy. I thought I would see what my mother had to put up with, as she married in 1955. It's a very good book, but much of what is written was still going on into the 70s, so I could relate to it. It brought/is bringing back a lot of small and forgotten memories. The electricity showrooms in every town, for one.

trendygran Sun 26-Jan-14 15:25:12

Just started reading 'The Rosie Project' by Graham Simsion. Excellent so far and an insight into the world of Aspergers adults . Not too serious and very well written.

numberplease Sun 26-Jan-14 22:06:07

I`ve just finished Daddy`s Gone A Hunting, by Mary Higgins Clark, very good, really enjoyed it. My next book will be The Midnight Rose, by Lucinda Riley. A different sort of read for me, but it was one of Smith`s books of the week at half price, so thought I`d give it a go. It`s set between 1911 and the present, and divided between India and English stately homes.

cactus60 Tue 28-Jan-14 21:03:03

just read Martina coles, Faceless. I couldn't put it down.

numberplease Tue 28-Jan-14 23:46:29

I`m about halfway through The Midnight Rose, and surprised to find that I`m really liking it.

eGJ Wed 29-Jan-14 21:40:48

Reading "Wake" by Anna Hope; she seemed to be on all radio stations yesterday promoting it. Set in 1920 when the Unknown Warrior's body is being brought back it looks at the lives of three different women as one era is fading and a new one beginning. Half way through and it is distracting me from other things as I want to see where she will lead us.

Humbertbear Wed 29-Jan-14 22:17:21

I just started the Costa book winner The Shock of the Fakk by Nathan Filer. I downloaded the sample on kindle and couldn't stop reading it so had to buy it. The narrator is in a mental institution amid writing about his childhood. The writing is deceptively simple. A few friends will be receiving it for birthday presents this year.

Rosannie Wed 29-Jan-14 22:34:48

Just read and loved The Night Guest by Fiona McFarlane. A great read particularly relevant to Gransnetters but could be a bit scary / unsettling. I shall be passing it on and recommending to my Book Club friends.

Treebee Thu 30-Jan-14 22:26:46

Like trendygran I've been reading The Rosie Project. Finished it today with a silly grin on my face. Entertaining amusing and thought provoking too.

Rosannie Thu 30-Jan-14 23:01:22

Reading Eloise by Judy Finnegan on my Kindle. Thought that her experience with Richard and Judy Book Club would have helped her to write a better book.

numberplease Fri 31-Jan-14 16:25:36

Meant to say the other day that I`ve received my copy of The Mouseproof Kitchen, thank you GN, but haven`t started reading it yet, looking forward to it though.