Gransnet forums

Books/book club

February Book Club.....Summertime

(107 Posts)
gma Mon 26-Jan-15 17:51:28

Lovely surprise this morning when my copy of Summertime arrived, and a Hard Back too!!
Look forward to reading this book, but must finish The Minaturist first!!
Many thanks Gransnet, it brightened up a dull Monday morning!Look forward to posting my comments!!

Liz46 Mon 26-Jan-15 18:31:58

Many thanks for my copy which arrived this afternoon. I am going to Gambia for a holiday next week so will take it with me to read on the beach.

loopylou Mon 26-Jan-15 18:34:54

Can't wait to read it, thank you so much Gransnet!

shysal Mon 26-Jan-15 19:25:05

I am looking forward to reading this book. I appears to be right up my street!

numberplease Tue 27-Jan-15 00:28:19

Thank you so much for my copy of Summertime vwhich arrived this morning, didn`t realise it was gong to be a hardback version! I will start it as soon as I finish Abattoir Blues.

wallers5 Tue 27-Jan-15 06:28:47

A beautiful book arrived yesterday, Summertime. It looks so enticing. Thank you so much. I have finished The Miniaturist which was captivating & now I look forward to Summertime. Can't wait.

FloNightingale Tue 27-Jan-15 09:40:43

Thank you so much for my copy of Summertime Gransnet. Looking forward reading it.

Teetime Tue 27-Jan-15 11:16:13

How nice to get a book present in the post - how does one apply please?

shysal Tue 27-Jan-15 11:56:15

Teetime, have you signed up for email newsletters from GN? If not, you can do it on 'my My Gransnet' at the top of this page. This will give you the opportunity to apply for books and other freebies. I am usually successful with the book of the month. Have you looked under 'competitions', above? I never win anything outside of GN, but have received a number of prizes and gifts. Good luck!

Galen Tue 27-Jan-15 12:43:21

My copy has arrived! Thanks!

Teetime Tue 27-Jan-15 13:17:33

Thank you shysal yes I get the e-mails but rarely look at the comps - I will do so from now on.

Versavisa Tue 27-Jan-15 14:19:36

My copy has arrived too. Thank so much. Looking forward to reading it as soon as possible.

Crow Tue 27-Jan-15 15:57:29

Thank you for the book. I look forward to reading it when I have finished trudging through Wolf Hall.

trisher Tue 27-Jan-15 18:22:09

Thank you for my book. I am about to curl up on the settee in front of the fire, forget winter and be transported to summertime in the Florida Keys!

numberplease Wed 28-Jan-15 01:42:55

I`ve finished my other book, and was about to start Summertime, but someone`s lent me a book which they want back soon, so I`ll just have to postpone Summertime for a few more days.

Frannygranny Wed 28-Jan-15 12:05:03

Thank you, Gransnet. My copy has just arrived, I look forward to reading it and enjoying the warmth of the sun in Florida Keys.

eGJ Wed 28-Jan-15 16:31:03

Probably the most enjoyable GN book; a powerful start and a real page-turner; thank you GN. (won't reveal how it goes and looking forward to the thread with questions for Vanessa!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 28-Jan-15 17:22:10

Ooh eGJ so glad you liked! We try to choose a variety of genres/tones/stories and thought this would be a great one for book club - so very glad you agree!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 28-Jan-15 17:23:08

And as gma has kindly started this thread - do leave your comments and questions here any time over the next three weeks or so!

matson Thu 29-Jan-15 19:35:14

Summertime .. Vanessa Lafaye.
A gripping, moving story of mans inhumanity to others, but also a descriptive and heart tugging tale of hope and determination. A beautifully written , and thoroughly enjoyable book. Unputtadownable!. Highly recommend it, thank you.

d4dsquared Thu 29-Jan-15 21:15:55

Thanks so much for my copy. And it's a hardback - wow! A rare treat! Looking forward to reading it. Perfect timing to send a book set in Florida on a day that it snowed!

patparti Fri 30-Jan-15 12:31:15

Thank you for my copy of 'Summertime' - my first Gransnet freebie! I could not put this book down, an absolutely gripping read! I was immediately drawn into the story and characters. The build up of the tensions is excellent, a really good read.

EllenMay Fri 30-Jan-15 12:34:52

I have just finished reading this and found it really engrossing, on a number of different levels. I am now looking forward to re - reading it to really appreciate the various themes and the meticulous research underpinning a story of love and hope. Thank you Gransnet.

winifred01 Fri 30-Jan-15 17:21:18

Thank you so much for Summertime- I am looking forward to reading it. Went to Florida some years ago, travelled down to Key West. Will get out the map of the area, what a lovely treat.

Funnygran Sun 01-Feb-15 11:34:05

Received Summertime - lovely surprise, thank you. My husband thought I'd been indulging myself (again) on Amazon. Can't wait to start it after I've finished a library book that I can't put down. In the meantime my daughter is waiting for her chance to read Summertime when I'm finished!