Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Who wrote this?

(16 Posts)
mrsmopp Mon 02-Mar-15 10:50:02

A TV programme (Banished) coming soon about convicts being transported to Australia. it reminded me of a novel on the same subject I read over a year ago. It was excellent, but I cannot remember the writer, I think she was Kate someone. I would like to read more of her works & hope someone knows her surname. Mind gone blank, (again)..... I am sure she is Australian.

Ana Mon 02-Mar-15 10:54:44

Is this the book, MrsMopp?

kategrenville.com/The_Secret_River

mrsmopp Mon 02-Mar-15 11:06:33

Oh Ana, huge thanks, that's the one!! Have you read it? It was fantastic. I am off to the library soon to look for something else she has written.
Must get a little notebook so as to remember these things.
Thank you for your prompt reply.

Ana Mon 02-Mar-15 11:10:39

No, I haven't read it but came across the author when I was looking for information on something else and it stuck in my mind.

Glad to have been able to help smile

Mishap Mon 02-Mar-15 11:14:52

She has written other books in a similar vein.

nannieroz111 Mon 02-Mar-15 11:17:41

Hi mrsmopp some years ago I read a book called Remember Me by Lesley Pearse. This was of a similar theme and I thoroughly enjoyed this work of fiction.

durhamjen Mon 02-Mar-15 11:25:21

Have you seen the film Oranges and Sunshine, not about convicts but the organised deportation of children in care?

mrsmopp Mon 02-Mar-15 11:43:10

Not heard of Oranges and Sunshine but will put it in my notebook to look out for it. Thanks for the tip. Remember Me also looks good too.
So many lovely books to read......

Liz46 Mon 02-Mar-15 12:03:00

I also thought of the novel by Lesley Pearse. 'Trust Me' and 'Remember Me' are two of my favourite books although, nannieroz, I seem to recall that Remember Me was based on a real character.

Soutra Mon 02-Mar-15 12:51:00

Could I also recommend The Floating Brothel by Sian Rees. It is the extraordinary true story of an 18th century ship and its cargo of female convicts,it is absolutely enthralling, beautifully written and meticulously researched.

Eloethan Mon 02-Mar-15 12:55:24

I couldn't get on with "The Secret River" but Kate Grenville's earlier book, "The Idea of Perfection", is one of my absolute favourites.

Jimmy McGovern wrote this new drama "Banished". I really like his TV dramas - they're always thought-provoking - so I'm looking forward to it.

loopylou Mon 02-Mar-15 13:15:45

'The Fatal Shore' by Robert Shaw is a book about the first convict settlers in Australia. It's a quite lengthy but fascinating read.

nannieroz111 Mon 02-Mar-15 13:40:11

Hi Liz46 Yes you've jogged my memory........ A young girl, Mary from Cornwall if I remember correctly. Good story. I used to read all of Lesley Pearse novels, however I gave up when the last one I read was a bit too racy for me......... nice chatting to ya! smile

mrsmopp Tue 03-Mar-15 01:55:48

Thank you for recommending Lesley Pearse. Will also try the other suggestions on here. Its great to discover a writer not tried before.

eGJ Tue 03-Mar-15 18:25:01

Thanks for jogging my memory too. Anna Jacobs has various series about this period too starting with "The Traders Wife" There are five in the series. She has another trilogy starting with "Farewell to Lancashire" set in the Swan River area.

and if you want New Zealand Sarah Lark's trilogy is splendid!

J52 Tue 03-Mar-15 18:49:13

I remember reading a novel either Swan River or Red River about the young girls who were lured in the 18th century to Australia. They were servant girls who were told that they would marry wealthy prospectors and have their own homes. In reality they ended up as married drudges in one room shacks. X