Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Q&A with Richard Curtis

(34 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 01-Nov-12 09:22:59

Author of our November kids' book of the month is award-winning film director, script writer and Lovely Person Richard Curtis. He's doing a Q&A for us about The Empty Stocking and his new career as a children's author. How different is this to writing for the Hollywood A-list? Add your questions for him here before 13 November.

Anne58 Tue 27-Nov-12 14:18:17

Nor me!

ladywriter Tue 27-Nov-12 14:07:42

Have the responses been put into the archive yet? The link doesn't work for me.

isthisallthereis Fri 23-Nov-12 00:30:15

When is this going to happen? Am beginning to lose the will to live.

Isn't spontaneity or near-spontaneity one of the web's attractions?

Cue tumbleweed.

ie it's all trash really and it needs to be quick......

Don't get me wrong smile

isthisallthereis Sun 18-Nov-12 19:08:03

Nae problem! I enjoy the Q&As, please do keep them going smile

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 16-Nov-12 17:14:16

Sadly, no, wasn't possible with this one. We agree that live is generally better although some slower-burn topics do suit a Q&A - but in this case it just wasn't possible. Will try even harder next time, promise.

isthisallthereis Fri 16-Nov-12 10:52:18

So it's not live like some other Q&As have been? Live seems better. Wasn't possible?

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 16-Nov-12 09:45:55

The questions have gone off, I'm afraid, istisallthereis. There was a date on the OP. We should be getting the answers back in a few days and we'll make sure we link from the home page, newsletter etc (as usual, they'll be in the archive)

isthisallthereis Fri 16-Nov-12 06:41:20

When is this Q&A? I can see no date attached to this thread.......

isthisallthereis Fri 16-Nov-12 06:39:51

Do you think writers workshops are any good, or do they lead nowhere?

If you like them, can you suggest one that covers TV and radio comedy? I have a series idea and want somewhere to try out part scripts, hear my stuff being read and get feedback. Just sitting on my own at a computer won't get me going.

How do you set about writing?

ladycompletelygaga Tue 13-Nov-12 16:07:26

Your new book looks lovely and Christmassy and I do like a tale of mischievous children <thinks of own DC and DGC> - were you a mischievous child? And actually what were your own childhood Christmasses like? I am keeping my fingers crossed I have won a copy of your book but if not I will definitely buy it

lilianb Tue 13-Nov-12 16:05:13

What gave you the idea for the book? Are you a big fan of Christmas and what does it mean to you and your family? PS I am a big fan of all your work

closetgran Tue 13-Nov-12 15:11:04

You are very funny <blushes because this sounds a bit stalkerish, but is true> Do you ever regret being a writer and director rather than an actor?

sneetch Tue 13-Nov-12 15:05:03

Is the process of writing a children's book very different from the process of writing a movie script? or do you have to plan and go about it in the same sort of way, basically?

flyingfunk Tue 13-Nov-12 15:00:03

Your work often shows an interest in fame. Do you think fame distorts people? Does it always have a bad effect?

lifer Tue 13-Nov-12 14:54:03

What three songs should we be listening to at the moment?

boudoirbabe Tue 13-Nov-12 14:49:16

Do you feel more optimistic for sub-Saharan Africa than you did when you started Comic Relief?

flibbertigibbet Tue 13-Nov-12 14:38:45

Presumably you get to hang around with movie stars and everyone wants to be your friend. What do you do to stay grounded?

timeout Tue 13-Nov-12 14:34:01

In many ways you seem to have led a charmed life (I think you said as much on Desert Island Discs). Do you have any regrets?

opendoor Tue 13-Nov-12 14:32:29

This is SO exciting. <Aims not to stammer>

You've been writing for a long while - you were successful quite young, I think. Is your writing different now from when you started out?

JaneLewis1 Fri 09-Nov-12 21:12:28

I am trying to find the best way to ask whether there is any particular writing you did (film, book, script) that arose from other work? A female colleague learned to paint people's nails, and met her husband through a client. At my work, I have been able to use Census information (from the website) to enhance my reports which lead to being given much more interesting topics to research. Are there any parts of your working life that prompted other pieces of work?

isthisallthereis Fri 09-Nov-12 08:08:09

I've often wondered - what is a joke, and what makes it funny? Or what makes a funny situation funny, or not? Does there need to be surprise in it, or shock?
One thing I hugely admire in your comedy is that you're not cruel. You get mocked sometimes for writing sunny benign, "British" comedies. I love them (esp 4Weddings and Blackadder). Actors must love being sent a Richard Curtis script. Do your scripts go through many revisions before they reach the screen? Or does what you write usually work first time??

Finally, have you written for theatre? I'd love to see a play by you. I don't think I ever have.

knittynora Thu 08-Nov-12 14:04:09

I applied for one of your books so I hope I am lucky.

Have YOU been good this year? And what do you hope father Christmas is going to bring for you?

pamw Thu 08-Nov-12 13:56:00

Did you specifically set out to write a Christmas book? Are you a fan of the whole festive season bit? I confess to being a bit bah humbug

I do love your films - thank you for bringing so many people so much pleasure over the years

moonlit Thu 08-Nov-12 13:53:32

Did you base the story on things your own children had done? I think you have a son called Charlie? What made you decide to use his name but not your other children's? Were they put out or pleased? Sorry that's a few questions rolled into one so I hope that's ok.

nanamarion Thu 08-Nov-12 13:50:26

Did you find writing a book for children very different to writing screenplays for adults? Or are the processes much the same?