Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Real book or kindle???

(39 Posts)
Antjexix Fri 09-Oct-15 18:52:03

My husband got me a kindle last christmas and although I find it very handy when going on holiday,I prefer to read a "real book". I feel abit guilty about it as I know it wasn't cheap. Going Christmas shopping with DD a couple of days ago (I know,I'm ever so organized) ,we went into Waterstones and I was like a child in a sweet shop. Am I being old fashioned??

aquagran Fri 09-Oct-15 19:30:22

Yes

rosequartz Fri 09-Oct-15 20:04:31

smile

Well, it is brilliant for taking on holiday - don't forget your charger!!
And wonderful for reading in bed - so light.

But there is nothing like the feel of a real book.

ginny Fri 09-Oct-15 20:11:56

I agree. Kindle is very useful for holidays and taking with you if youay need to fill in some time. But, yes, I still like a real book. Nothing like the feel and smell . Maybe I am a bit odd.

Antjexix Fri 09-Oct-15 20:13:30

I agree rosequartz,after talking to DH I have decided that I am not old fashioned but just enjoy holding a real book,reading the back cover and turn the pages,there is something comforting about it.smile

Antjexix Fri 09-Oct-15 20:15:15

I must be odd too ginny vlove a nice book to hold.smile

Antjexix Fri 09-Oct-15 20:16:03

That should be love not vlove...

LullyDully Fri 09-Oct-15 20:17:32

I loved my Kindle when I first got it but have regressed to real books.....you can't beat them.

Indinana Fri 09-Oct-15 20:23:43

I love my Kindle! But I do like print books for reference, or for those coffee table type books, you know, the pick up and dip in and out ones. I bought The Etymologicon on Kindle when it was on offer at 99p, but I really wish I had the print version of that one, so I could just pick it up and flick through it. I know I could buy it but, well, I already have it on Kindle hmm
The only downside of the Kindle for me is that I buy far too many books, as they are so cheap on Amazon's Daily Deal. I've currently got about 50 books waiting to be read. I really must not buy any more shock

Antjexix Fri 09-Oct-15 20:23:57

I don't really enjoy buying books online,love browsing in bookstores...

mummyagain Fri 09-Oct-15 20:27:14

It MUST be a real book for me and it MUST be a paperback. I'm a spine breaker wink

janerowena Fri 09-Oct-15 20:30:09

I like both. Pretty much equally actually. It's far easier to go on holiday with a kindle, as it's not as bulky.

Recipe books are hopeless on Kindles, as it's harder to flick back and forth. Plus of course the page keep disappearing as you are whisking or whatever, and then you get sticky marks all over it as you have to get it going again. I shan't make that mistake again.

loopylou Fri 09-Oct-15 20:41:26

I love reading in the bath so definitely a book for that, but you can't beat Kindle for holidays especially as you can download another book at any time.

Alea Fri 09-Oct-15 20:44:08

I absolutely hate saying this, but my Kindle, principally because it is easier to hold, I can pop it into my handbag, and alsoI physically cannot accommodate more books !
Only bad side is where there are footnotes or illustrations of any kind, so best for fiction.

rosequartz Fri 09-Oct-15 20:54:23

No, certainly not for recipes!

There is nothing like a real cookery book, with splodges of cake mix, sauce mix, the odd splash of wine etc.

TwiceAsNice Fri 09-Oct-15 22:22:12

Both. I love my kindle and will be taking it on holiday with me next week but I do like the feel of a book as well and especially like history books, which I like to read as well as fiction, to be a real book not on a kindle. I think it's nice to have the best of both worlds. However cookery books they are evil!

Leticia Fri 09-Oct-15 22:35:31

A place for both. I have the kindle for holiday and cheap books,and it is light to put in my handbag, but still love real books the rest of the time.

whitewave Sat 10-Oct-15 07:28:01

I suppose they are both OK, kindle for convenience but books for tactile, and smell. I also love to see them in my bookcase.

ninathenana Sat 10-Oct-15 08:08:39

I bought DH a Kindle last Christmas (I have one) in the hopes that I could be spared trying to find space for yet more books. He refuses to buy books for it ! When we go away he takes his Kindle and his book ggrr !

M0nica Sat 10-Oct-15 08:55:10

I keep my Kindle in my handbag. It is ideal for whipping out and reading when stuck in queues, wailing in car parks, doctors/dentist surgery etc.

Last week I found myself in a long wait at the supermarket check out because there was a very elderly couple in front of me with a very full trolley, eventually two staff members came over and emptied their trolley and packed their shopping for them. I just whipped out my Kindle and read 2 chapters while waiting. Others in the queue behind me were restless and a bit irritated but I was completely unbothered.

I cannot envisage ever leaving the house with out my Kindle. I used to always carry a book, but they can be both heavy and bulky in a handbag. My Kindle is my constant companion.

However I do read an awful lot of books, piled by my bed, on the coffee table and on my desk. books are tactile and delicious, but a Kindle is always handy.

annodomini Sat 10-Oct-15 09:33:53

I love my Kindle. It is specially good for books that would otherwise be very bulky. I've just finished the Booker-short-listed A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler which is very long and would be difficult to read in bed and especially with slightly achey hands and wrists, but Kindle can be held in one hand. I do have a 'to-be-read' pile of paperbacks beside the bed as well.

TerriBull Sat 10-Oct-15 10:07:11

My step daughter works for a very large publishing company and when the whole Kindle phenomenon kicked off we often discussed the pros and cons of Kindles, she was very aware of ebook sales increasing their stake in the market, and as a "reading" commuter she always found hers invaluable, as it slips into her handbag in the way that a book couldn't. I have been contemplating getting one for a good few years given how many books we cart with us on holiday, both husband and I are avid readers. It now seems the trend is reversing somewhat and people are falling back in love with the physical book, I still contemplate getting a Kindle, but if I have read a book that I very much enjoyed I think would want that book on my shelf. I do love my books!

TerriBull Sat 10-Oct-15 10:20:22

I have a lot of history books that I like to dip into from time to time, at the moment I have A N Wilson's Queen Victoria by the side of my bed, I imagine Kindle's are very much a device for novels rather than factual reference books. I quite like the idea that the print can be made larger, I hate small print.

whitewave Sat 10-Oct-15 10:22:38

anno is The Spool of Blue Thread any good?

henetha Sat 10-Oct-15 10:46:43

I think there is room for both in our lives. Kindle's are so handy for travelling etc, but nothing beats the feel and smell of a real book.
As an avid reader, I am so glad I have both options.