Gransnet forums

Books/book club

If I like Rendell, Vine.....

(72 Posts)
gettingonabit Mon 08-Aug-16 11:18:39

...and Elizabeth George, what would you recommend me?

I also like historical fiction, true crime and I absolutely LOVED Schtum by Jem Lester (thanks GN for that recommendation).

Thankswink.

Maggiemaybe Mon 08-Aug-16 11:32:23

Mark Billingham's Tom Thorne novels are very good. Saying that, he seems to have written six books without telling me - I've a lot of catching up to do!

merlotgran Mon 08-Aug-16 11:56:52

Susan Hill. The Simon Serrailler series. She's written eight so far, I think.

TerriBull Mon 08-Aug-16 12:19:17

I'm a great fan of Rendell/Vine books, very sorry when she died, although like many authors, amongst her finest works were a few duds. I don't feel quite the same about Elizabeth George, although haven't read all of hers but thought "This Body of Death" excellent. Quite like the Simon Serrallier's. Have you tried Peter May? particularly "Entry Island". Also of late have been reading Anne Cleaves she's pretty good as far as crime is concerned. J K Rowling has made a very good foray into this genre writing under the name of Robert Galbraith.

gettingonabit Mon 08-Aug-16 12:55:14

Thanks. Meant to say I've read all the Serrailers. And I'm partway through the Anne Cleves books.

I'm tempted by Tom Thorne. I'll give those a try.

I used to love a Rendell too. Such dark humour. Some weren't so great. I've read all George, I think, and I find her florid style a bit irritating on times. And as to her main characters....although she does develop them well, I suppose. Big fan of Havers, though.

I prefer Hill' s style of writing-much tighter-but I find Serrailer a tad irritating too.

Christinefrance Mon 08-Aug-16 13:02:13

Yes I agree with others, Simon Serailler, Peter May his Roy Grace series is good.. Barbara Erskine for historical fiction also Amanda Quick if you want something lighter.
Val McDermid and my favourite author Diana Gabaldon 's Outlander series which is an historical time slip series. Enjoy.

Stansgran Mon 08-Aug-16 13:10:24

Gladys Mitchell is old fashioned but I enjoy them. Ngaio marsh ,ann Granger all old writers but I'm enjoying ordering them.

Humbertbear Mon 08-Aug-16 14:04:29

Try P D James especially the Adam Dalgelish novels set in Suffolk. I was very surprised by the three detective novels written by JK Rowling under the pseudonym of Robert Galbraith. She has a strong private detective with an interesting secretary. Not a lot of blood, sex or violence - just a good read.

eGJ Mon 08-Aug-16 14:52:36

Why not try Louise Penny. Start with the first one Still Life and work your way through. I promise you that Inspector Gamache and the residents of ThreePines will weave their way into your thoughts and will you on for more!! Set in Canada with beautiful local colour, but also characters that you want to follow! Lots of awards and really good reads,

Floradora9 Mon 08-Aug-16 16:39:22

Do try the Scandinavial murder mysteries

Mari Jungstedt
Arnaldur /indridason
Kristna Ohlsson
Asa Larsson
Yrs Sigurdardottir
Jussi Adler-Olsen
Henning Mankell he sadly died this year they have been on TV but are great reads I would say the best of them all
Hakan Nesser
Camilla Lackberg
Most of these best read in the right order but al cracking authors.

Floradora9 Mon 08-Aug-16 16:50:36

Or if you want home grown authors , sorry if they have been mentioned and again best read in sequence
Linda Farstein
Deborah Crombie
Peter Robinson
Anne Holt
W. J. Burley ...Wycliffe
Peter Janes
Graham Hurley
Natasha Cooper
|Quinton Jardine
Mark Billingham
Andrea Camilleri
Jo Nesbo ...Scandinavian
Tess Geritson
Priscilla Masters...loads of them
Gillian Galbraith
Linda Castillo
Donna Leon set in Venice and really good

I have got through two books in two days this weekend and luckily have 22 on order at the library all free to order and read , wonderful.

LumpySpacedPrincess Mon 08-Aug-16 16:58:53

Try Dorothy Dunnett for historical fiction, she was the most accomplished writer that I've ever read.

Also try Phil Rickman, his books are great.

numberplease Mon 08-Aug-16 17:47:04

How about the Ruth Galloway books by Elly Griffiths? They are better read in order though.

Mamie Mon 08-Aug-16 18:14:36

I agree about Peter May. I loved the Enzo McLeod series and the China books.
(I think the Roy Grace series is actually Peter James and I found them a bit too violent).

Irenee Mon 08-Aug-16 19:41:25

Have you tried Ian Rankin? The books are set in Edinburgh and most, but not all, feature the detective John Rebus. Rendell/Vine is probably my favourite author but Rankin is a close second.

gettingonabit Mon 08-Aug-16 20:39:59

So many fab suggestions....thanks.

MargaretX Mon 08-Aug-16 21:31:23

I still read the Barbara Vine novels occasionally. I would recommend Peter Lovesey. I'm not a fan of Rankin.

TerriBull Tue 09-Aug-16 07:47:30

Barbara Vine/Ruth Rendell novels are quite unique, I think P D James is probably closest to her style.

gettingonabit Tue 09-Aug-16 14:51:26

I'm not sure what it is about PD James-I just don't like her stuff. Find her dated and unrealistic somehow.

numberplease Tue 09-Aug-16 16:52:22

If you like your thrillers a bit on the gruesome side, I can heartily recommend the Katie McGuire stories by Graham Masterton. They do have to be read, preferably, in the correct order. White Bones is the first one, then Broken Angels, Red Light, Taken for Dead. I can`t remember the order of the others, so won`t list them. I think there are 2 or 3 more.

Treebee Tue 09-Aug-16 19:04:52

I agree with the recommendation of Elly Griffiths' Ruth Galloway mysteries. Set in North Norfolk there is tension, history and personal entanglements. Just up my street!

Floradora9 Mon 15-Aug-16 15:01:19

I forgot about James Oswald his Inspector McLean books are set in Edinburgh and not too graphic but most enjoyable. I have just finished The Damage Done and there are 5 others about this inspector.

Charleygirl Mon 15-Aug-16 15:07:22

Quintin Jardine books are excellent but should be read in order as it describes his life from a young copper to the higher echelons. His marriages also come into play- I love his books.

trisher Mon 15-Aug-16 20:15:30

Love Louise Penny and Inspector Gamache. Donna Leon is great. You could try Sophie Hannah- beautifully written, sometimes a bit difficult but very gripping.

Lilyflower Tue 20-Sep-16 09:24:18

Google " W.H. Smith:-The Best Crime & Thriller Authors of All Time as Voted by You" to find what crime novel afficionados have actually chosen as their all time best reads. I did this when I 'ran out' of Rankins, Rendells and so on and it is how I discovered Peter May who is the list's most popular crime novelist and I have found some really good authors on the top twenty list. In fact I am working my way through them as and when I run out of charity bookshop finds.

Sophie Hannah is a gripping modern writer and I also recommend the Nicci French thrillers, especially the Frieda Klein series. Of the Scandi noir writers I loved Jo Nesbo, Henning Mankell and Stieg Larsson though there are many more. I agree with others that J.K. Rowling's detective novels are engaging, entertaining and well written.