Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Old people being mistreated in their own homes

(56 Posts)
medlar Wed 23-Nov-11 10:00:06

There's another report about old people being mistreated today www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/nov/23/elderly-care-failures-human-rights

These stories seem to follow one another with depressing regularity - first hospitals, then care homes, now human rights abuses in your own home.

If this were children there would be an outcry - quite rightly. Is it me, or is it that no one wants to think about the elderly?

Oxon70 Fri 16-Mar-12 10:05:29

I just caught the end of an interview with Esther Rantzen on TV where she was saying she was setting up a phone line for old people in a bad situation...anyone know any more?

Annobel Fri 16-Mar-12 10:14:31

I heard that too, but don't think anything had been arranged yet. A kind of geriatric Childline?

Elegran Fri 16-Mar-12 10:18:26

Fifteen minutes per patient is not long enough to do anything at all. No wonder the agencies are always looking for more staff. They must spend more time traveling from one house to another that they do actually "caring" for anyone. No job satisfaction there.

Annobel Fri 16-Mar-12 10:22:47

No, there is little job satisfaction for these 'carers'. A friend's GD has been taken on by an agency and does not receive travelling expenses for driving between clients, although a clean driving licence is a prerequisite for the job. Carers are being exploited as are the clients.

nightowl Fri 16-Mar-12 14:19:31

Carers are definitely being exploited and as others have said they are generally women who have few employment choices and other family commitments to take into account. I share an office with local authority homecare managers and see many of the carers when they come in to consult these managers. The carers are all struggling with the time limits imposed on their visits, but to add insult to injury they have to spend a ridiculous amount of time filling in timesheets for each individual service user, which is obviously time that would be better spent providing care. The authority has now introduced yet another system whereby the carers have to log in at each address using a complicated PIN number system linked to their mobile phones, and then log out when they leave. Given the numbers of people they visit in a day this adds up to a significant amount of time spent on admin tasks. So are the managers interested in whether the care provided has been good bad or indifferent? Not unless a complaint is made. The overriding concern of senior managers is that costs should be kept down and low paid workers who are trying to do their best for their clients should not be seen to waste a moment of the authority's time. It makes me despair.