Gransnet forums

Charities

A little celebration

(25 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 29-Jun-16 17:19:38

Some of you will remember that last year I co-founded a little charity to help homeless people. In addition to our work with street-homeless people we get quite a few referrals of people whose housing situation is very vulnerable. In early May we were asked to help a man with a Learning Disability who was found fit to work after his 'work capability assessment' meeting in January and therefore had his ESA stopped and was in danger of losing his home. I won't go into the details, but in spite of his very obvious learning disability and limited capabilities he was assessed as having only six points!!!! He had missed the deadline for mandatory reconsideration on the basis that he didn't understand what had happened, but we were successfully able to negotiate an appeal hearing for him.

Yesterday his appeal, prepared jointly by us and a CAB advisor, was heard and he won. He was awarded 24 points and put into the support group. He was so nervous he broke down and burst into tears at the result. Much credit to the presiding judge and the doctor for being wonderfully sensitive and patient; they both looked a little teary-eyed themselves at our client's response. After delivering their judgement we thanked them for 'restoring our faith in humanity' and the judge responded by saying that our support of this man had restored his!! It's the first time since starting this that my tears have been ones of happiness.

Today we have a new client who is in exactly the same situation, but for now I'm celebrating the humanity and common sense of the very caring judge and doctor, who, when our (middle aged) client went into the room and shyly waved at them, waved back - demonstrating straight away that they are warm, caring human beings and not insensitive bureaucrats. smilesmile

[Waves to Galen]

tanith Wed 29-Jun-16 17:23:50

grannyactivist thankyou for such a heart warming post, 'waving back' nearly brought a tear to my eye.. smile well done to all involved.

kittylester Wed 29-Jun-16 17:38:42

Brilliant GA, well done you and them! I haven't seen Galen for a while.

waves as well in case she's sees this.

Luckygirl Wed 29-Jun-16 18:07:38

Great news! One step at a time ga - I am sure there are more successes to come.

phoenix Wed 29-Jun-16 18:10:45

You are a great human being, GA sending you love, respect and every good wish!

MiniMouse Wed 29-Jun-16 18:13:54

Sitting here with tears in my eyes. Full credit to you ga for your compassion - and tenacity! Yes, there are some empathetic doctors and judges, as I found out myself. Keep up the good work smile

Bellanonna Wed 29-Jun-16 18:17:10

Echo what everyone has said.

Auntieflo Wed 29-Jun-16 19:16:23

All good wishes to you and your charity GA. Nice to hear of a happy outcome

Indinana Wed 29-Jun-16 19:25:19

ga what a truly inspiring person you are. A blueprint for what every human being should be like. I was quite tearful reading your story, how lucky you all were to find such a compassionate judge. And how lucky your client was to find you!

Cherrytree59 Wed 29-Jun-16 19:35:33

GA well done to you and your 'team'.
A little sunshine in to the life of a fellow Human Being.
Please keep posting all your good work and your charities.

But just for tonight- put your feet and brew orwine

Lona Wed 29-Jun-16 19:42:39

ga How nice to hear such a heartwarming ending, to what could have been a sad story. Well done to all of you good people ?

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 29-Jun-16 19:47:36

Take a bow ga, you live up to your name. Reading your post brought tears to my eyes. flowers

Jalima Wed 29-Jun-16 20:05:12

Well done grannya

Good to know that not everyone is unfeeling and does listen!!

annodomini Wed 29-Jun-16 20:22:37

What an excellent outcome, ga. Would that there were more like you around.

Iam64 Wed 29-Jun-16 20:26:32

Thanks for this heart warming update ga. It restores faith after what has/is a tough week

Nana3 Wed 29-Jun-16 20:43:48

Good news indeed ga all the best to you and your group for their future work flowers.
You have my greatest respect and admiration.

Nandalot Wed 29-Jun-16 20:49:52

Lovely to hear this. Keep on with the good work. Well done,

grannyactivist Wed 29-Jun-16 20:59:07

Thanks all. {blush]
I do know that we won't always get what we consider to be the 'right' result, but it's given us a confidence in the appeals system that we didn't have before. Also the experience and the knowledge we've gained from this case will be really useful in preparing others. I must say that my colleague and I have huge support from others: a lovely local G.P., local churches, the Food Bank and the local (Christian run) community cafe. In fact the local vicar joined us at the hearing to add his support and treated us to a celebratory lunch afterwards. smile I know it's a terrible cliche, but teamwork does make the dream work!!

grannyactivist Wed 29-Jun-16 20:59:23

Or even blush.

Badenkate Wed 29-Jun-16 21:05:26

What a great result ga. It is a wonderful outcome and you must be really pleased. You certainly deserved your celebratory dinner wine

grannyqueenie Wed 29-Jun-16 22:05:43

It's good to be reminded to that compassion, caring and practical support are still happening with ordinary people doing their stuff in local communities up and down the country. Well done grannya and your team!

NannaJay Fri 01-Jul-16 12:34:06

Well done grannya, sadly this seems to be happening way too often and the vulnerable person refused esa doesn't understand. If only there was compassion among those turning down claimants rather than the system as it stands.

MichaelBane Thu 14-Sep-17 08:24:03

Well done!

Imperfect27 Thu 14-Sep-17 08:44:08

That's wonderful news GA and does indeed bring a tear to the eye. And I read with interest as my DS1 has ongoing mental health problems, has just applied for ESA / Housing benefit - not fit to work by any means, but wondering how long before the pressure starts ...

So good to know that there are people like you fighting these corners! flowers

MawBroon Thu 14-Sep-17 09:06:37

Compare and contrast (as they say) with today's post on "note to self"
I say no more.