Gransnet forums

Chat

Am I too old for jeans?

(101 Posts)
dorsetpennt Sun 15-Apr-12 09:59:32

I love my jeans - I have four in various blues, one black pair, one grey pair, one brown pair and a really good make of white jeans. I did say I like them. They seem to fit me well and suit me. I have nicer trousers for going out, various crop trousers - in fact one pair in denim. I don't want to give them up - my BFF wears them too and she like me is 67 years old. We say we can see us in the Rest Home [God forbid] wearing them. I don't wear shorts - in any style - I don't think it's fair to impose my old legs to the world. So Gransnetters what do you think?

granjura Sun 15-Apr-12 10:02:46

No way - I wear jeans all the time, feel comfortable in them - so why not?
I have jeans in blues, black, brown and beige - but yes I'd agree with you, white or bright colours perhaps not.

Greatnan Sun 15-Apr-12 10:06:03

Wear whatever you like- I think jeans are just normal wear for many people who have grown up with them.
I have never had any, but that is not because I thought I was too old - I just never thought they would be comfortable, but I am coming round to the idea at the age of 71!

Mishap Sun 15-Apr-12 10:07:06

Stick with the jeans! Can't see any reason not too - they are not the preserve of the young. If you like them and feel comfortable I can see no reason not to wear and enjoy them.

Annika Sun 15-Apr-12 10:12:20

dorsetpennt Wear whatever you like.
I have two pairs of jeans and I wear them a lot , its the best way of hiding my short stubby legs from the world grin

glammanana Sun 15-Apr-12 10:16:53

Jeans are my daily choice I have them in all colours the best being my Levi's 501s of which I have 3 pairs they can be dressed up or down,my favourite I wear with a little black leather jacket and black leather boots dressed up with a sparkly scalf.Most of my friends know my style and often buy me nice belts as presents to jazz up my preferred look. If you feel comfortable in them why change just because you are of a certain age ?

greenmossgiel Sun 15-Apr-12 10:35:14

I wear jeans all the time! I have tatty jeans for messing about in, and nicer ones for going out in. Like glamma, I have a wee leather jacket that looks quite nice, and also a long jumper underneath that, make a good combination. I think I only have one skirt - in fact I'm gong to have a look for a couple of nice longish ones on ebay today! I won a nice Fossil leather bag from ebay yesterday - it'll replace the stinky one I bought from Amazon! smile

susiecb Sun 15-Apr-12 11:05:22

I think you can wear jeans forever if you choose a good style but don't think you need to spend over £100 as a friend of mine does on Not your Daughters Jeans- my per una ones look just the same and black jeans can be very smart.

harrigran Sun 15-Apr-12 12:04:25

If you can get them to fit go for it. I have a problem because I am a funny shape but ones with stretch sometimes do the job.

Butternut Sun 15-Apr-12 12:04:44

I love my jeans and prefer them to any other item of clothing. Hopefully I'll never have to give them up! To hot to wear in the summer here, so they get replaced by wide legged sailor trousers or leggings........... and I can still garden in them which is the important thing. smile

petallus Sun 15-Apr-12 12:25:35

Oh yes I have mostly jeans. They seem to fit me better than other trousers. I hardly ever wear skirts. I've got a pair of Hobbs ones on now. I also have Betty Barclay and Not your Daughter's Jeans.

Unfortunately I have difficulty buying trousers of any kind since I find size 12 often a bit too tight and 14 too large. Also a problem getting enough length from waist to crotch though I am only 5.4"

Seventimesfive Sun 15-Apr-12 12:26:22

I've always worn jeans and funnily enough I was thinking the other day that I will never give them up! Most of my friends of my age (I'm 68) wear them too. I have a few skirts but never quite get round to wearing them but if (!) we have a good summer may have to get a few. How lucky we are to be able to feel free to wear what we like and not give a damn, unlike our parents generation.

jeni Sun 15-Apr-12 12:40:31

I only used to wear jeans for sailing. I rarely wear them now and hard
Y ever wear trousers, I've nothing against them, but I don't feel comfortable in them.
I like smart suits or skirts and tops or dresses!

granbunny Sun 15-Apr-12 12:57:47

dorsetpennt, you've got to wear something. i wear long black things - my dad assures me his grandma wore the same kind of stuff. i think you should stick to your jeans. well, not stick to them, that would be nasty wink... but keep wearing them as long as you like.

Stansgran Sun 15-Apr-12 13:07:39

I think it depends on the hips. I would dearly love a denim jacket but long like a tailored boyfriend style. just cannot find one.

tanith Sun 15-Apr-12 13:53:43

I too wear jeans all the time , hardly ever wear skirts but do shorts in the Summer.. scruffy ones and nice ones.. I intend on carrying on wearing them as long as I like so I'd say do what feels comfortable..

dorsetpennt Sun 15-Apr-12 14:15:35

I also have a denim jacket - which I love - but don't wear with blue jeans - look like a uniform wouldn't it. So glad everyone else feels the same. I have a suede skirt from Monsoon but it's for best. About 5 dresses all bought for weddings - we've had a real spate of them recently - but I hate tights , really hate them as they are never long enough. Also because I'm arthritic a bugger to put on - when wearing them I hide somewhere to hoike them again. My white jeans are worn with a long chiffon type aquamarine top - all floatly looking - looks fab if we go on a boat party, which down here is fairly often in the summer.

Greatnan Sun 15-Apr-12 14:20:03

My problem has always been that I seem to be long in the body, and I hate anything that comes below my waist - no hipsters for me. Does anybody know a brand of jeans which would actually reach up to my waist?

gracesmum Sun 15-Apr-12 16:05:00

I used to swear by Gap jeans, but either they have got smaller (unlikely) or.............!!! I have some Principles jeans (very old, but a good fit) some M&S , but to my shame also a cupboard full of different sizes of jeans(all too small) cataloguing my increasing size!! jeans are great - I like dark indigo denim best, also black and white jeans always make me feel trendy sad Like linen trousers they are a classic.
You are never too old to wear jeans.

goldengirl Sun 15-Apr-12 16:42:32

I wear jeans a lot too. I find Evans and Lands End best for me. I like bootcut - it seems to 'balance' me. I wear them to play with the GC or with a smart top for going out with friends. I wear them for work too on occasion though I like dresses for work. I like skirts but don't wear them as much as jeans and dresses; it depends what sort of mood I'm in. I have spates when I prefer jeans and then get fed up for a bit and wear jersey trousers - good if you're feeling bloated! Jeans are universal now though my GD doesn't particularly like them but she's only 7.

expatmaggie Sun 15-Apr-12 16:52:51

Jeans are our fashion. We grew up with them. I have dark blue, middle blue and light blue, grey, and my latest, a lovely shade of brown/grey. I buy the German make Ascari which make jeans for a nicely rounded female figure and covers your midriff.

HildaW Sun 15-Apr-12 16:53:31

A lady is never too old for well fitting jeans..........men however, have to be a bit more circumspect, though I think its more about them thinking that they can get away with £6 Tesco specials and dirty trainers!

artygran Sun 15-Apr-12 17:02:36

I can't do without a few pairs of jeans - just bought some nice slim leg ones from M&S and they feel really nice and look good with a blazer. I would like to be able to wear cropped trousers but I'm only a smidge over five feet and all the ones I have tried look ridiculous. I like shorts when I'm on holiday (where no-one knows me!)

GoldenGran Sun 15-Apr-12 17:03:54

Like Jeni I have always worn them when sailing, and I am very fond of them. But I don't wear them every day, I also prefer skirts or dresses.susiecb I confess that once, when I had won a little money on the lottery, I put it towards a pair of NYDJ, and they are fabulous, make one's bum look not bad at all! But I can't ever afford to do that again, so it is back to Per Una. Anyone can wear anything these days if it feels right, so jeans are no longer only for the young.

yogagran Sun 15-Apr-12 20:22:01

Never too old for jeans, they're so practical - almost anything goes with them and they can be dressed up or down.
I have several pairs in various states of wear, some for "best", some still quite reasonable and some decidedly scruffy for everyday working. I patch mine when they get holes or tears and love them even more when they have patches on them!