Gransnet forums

Chat

Items not available on tesco delivery.

(55 Posts)
glassortwo Mon 23-Apr-12 21:09:47

I have just had my Tesco delivery and the usual lovely guy about 60, as they do said we have had to substitute these items, then went on to say the one item we could not supply........ he cleared his throat and looked about............ cleared his throat again.......... could not l;ook at me .....Well The Tesco Free Spirit Incontinence Pads are out of stock ....... shock shock grin grin who was more embarrassed gringrin I dont know!

harrigran Mon 23-Apr-12 21:35:51

Oh glass blush

Mishap Mon 23-Apr-12 21:36:07

I love it! I always hope that my Tenas will be quietly hidden away in the bottom of one of their crates - along with the glycerine suppositories and the KY!! I have never had a situation where they were unavailable - I keep my fingers crossed - and my knees!!

glassortwo Mon 23-Apr-12 21:39:10

Rush to the chemist tomorrow wink

nightowl Mon 23-Apr-12 22:03:52

Oh glass I had a similar moment when I tried to buy canesten very discreetly through the Sainsburys self service till but of course it had a great big security tag on it which set the till light flashing resulting in the (young) male assistant having to come over and wave it around for all the queue to watch. Stupid to be embarrassed but I felt about 12 again blush

glassortwo Mon 23-Apr-12 22:19:00

Its always a young lad on the till when you have to buy anything discrete, sods law grin

glammanana Mon 23-Apr-12 22:23:38

Or one of the older guys grin don't know who is the worse .blush

imjingl Mon 23-Apr-12 22:24:08

Glass that is so funny. grin

Anagram Mon 23-Apr-12 22:36:35

Oh, yes, glamma - an older one would give you a sympathetic leer smirk and make you feel even worse!

Jacey Mon 23-Apr-12 22:41:18

Oh glassortwo I always find a female check out for those moments!! shock

glassortwo Mon 23-Apr-12 22:47:23

They always seem to swop over just as I reach the till!

nuttynorah Tue 24-Apr-12 08:40:34

My friend works in Tesco and she never uses her Clubcard when buying anything embarassing because it is then recorded on her "customer profile". My husband often buys such things for his elderly mother using his own Clubcard, so his profile must be quite puzzling!

Ariadne Tue 24-Apr-12 09:18:19

But isn't it good that these "discreet" items are so openly available? I can remember being sent to the wool shop across the road for "A packet of Sicot size two, please" and being given a brown paper package which was then put into another brown paper bag.

And wouldn't it have been wonderful just to go into buy condoms off the shelf? Think my life might have been very different if that had been possible! (Teenage pregnancy, the result of which is DD who is one of the great joys of our lives.)

I suppose it was the wool shop because it was women only territory!

petallus Tue 24-Apr-12 09:41:51

I could almost feel nostalgia for those days of sanitary towels in different sizes and 'something for the weekend sir?' when men went to the barbers.

greenmossgiel Tue 24-Apr-12 09:48:56

My mum used to send me to the wool shop for Dr Whites! She used to write a note for me and told me I had to hand it over when I got to the shop (I was about 10 or 11). The 2 old ladies who owned the shop were the Misses Allan. One of them would chat to me about school - to divert me, I think - while the other wrapped up the towels in a bit of newspaper in the back shop. It looked like I was carrying a fish supper home with me! grin

Ariadne Tue 24-Apr-12 10:56:03

green so it was quite usual, then!

Don't know about nostalgia, petallus! I am remembering those awful elastic belts, and the embarrassment and worry about the bulge showing, and of leakage. blush

Anagram Tue 24-Apr-12 11:09:08

Oh gawd, yes! Those belts - and sometimes you could see the top of it at the back if you bent down, a bit like thongs today shock.

harrigran Tue 24-Apr-12 11:12:58

I remember the wool shop and two ancient sisters behind the counter. Unmentionables were pre-wrapped in brown paper.

glassortwo Tue 24-Apr-12 11:31:22

My DH used to get nose bleeds when he was young and his mum would use a Dr White to stem the flow and hook it over his ears, he still cringes now if you mention Dr Whites grin grin

Ariadne Tue 24-Apr-12 11:41:20

glassgrin

Mamie Tue 24-Apr-12 11:43:42

When we lived in Wales, if you asked for sanitary towels in the local shop, the man would say "I'll fetch the wife...".
I tried to buy Canestan in Boots, but the lady on the till (who sounds exactly like Beverley in Abigail's Party) told me she couldn't sell it to me as I am over sixty. Does that not apply in Tesco?

Anagram Tue 24-Apr-12 12:06:04

What? Why is that, Mamie? Are we too old to get thrush? confused

nightowl Tue 24-Apr-12 12:06:22

Oh no that would have added insult to injury mamie! I didnt know there was an age limit on canesten! I hope I won't need it again but if I do I will go to the very small chemist around the corner. At least I won't have an audience there smile
And I have remembered that my mum used to order Dr Whites in bulk from her mail order catalogue and sell them to the neighbours! I didn't know what they were but I remember women coming to the door and going away with a parcel wrapped in newspaper! Sometimes if my mum was out they would have to ask my dad (probably desperate) and he had a wonderful way of handing them over without so much as a flicker grin

Anagram Tue 24-Apr-12 12:14:38

I've looked up Canesten and it does say it's not suitable for those under 16 or over 60 - but it doesn't say why!

imjingl Tue 24-Apr-12 12:15:34

Skin thinning?