Gransnet forums

Chat

Birds on webcam - Springwatch

(9 Posts)
Oxon70 Tue 29-May-12 08:49:37

Anyone discovered the Freeview channel 301 with live webcams of baby birds?
I've seen barn owls and nuthatches and bluetits so far!

greenmossgiel Tue 29-May-12 08:56:27

Oxon, haven't seen that yet - I'll look for it shortly! smile Hope you're feeling a bit better today? What a time you've been having. flowers

Oxon70 Tue 29-May-12 09:01:41

Thanks greenmoss....seeing doctor today so have to get dressed! Back later.

shysal Tue 29-May-12 09:14:14

Thanks Oxon. I have turned it on and shall leave it all day, unless I find myself wasting too much time! It is good to see some healthy chicks after my distressing few days. On Saturday evening I saw and heard a great spotted woodpecker taken by a sparrowhawk from my garden. I had been watching the nest so hoped there was another parent, but no, so I had to hear the pitiful cries from a completely inaccessible dead branch 60 ft up. I am still hearing an occasional cheep, but the single baby is no longer looking out of the hole. What a horrible way to die for Mum and chick. That is nature unfortunately!

Annobel Tue 29-May-12 09:35:48

Is that channel available on Virgin? I've been keeping an eye on the progress of the Osprey chick at the Loch of the Lowes, now a week old and growing fast. Another egg seems to be hatching at the moment.
scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/wildlife-webcams/loch-of-lowes/

greenmossgiel Tue 29-May-12 17:36:05

Oh shysal....I can imagine how you'll be feeling. It's how it goes, though, and the sparrowhawk had to feed its young too. We have blue-tits nesting in a box high up on a pole in the garden. DH put the box up really high so that cats couldn't reach it. The parents are in an out of the box at a terrific rate, feeding the cheeping babies, and all I have to worry about now, is that they are not picked off by the cat as they leave their nest. If I'm around at the time, I'll keep the cat in, for sure.

Jacey Tue 29-May-12 17:55:55

If you go onto the BBC site you can view the webcams ...

www.bbc.co.uk/nature/18035848

shysal Thu 31-May-12 08:34:32

Oh dear! Runty has died. I know it was on the cards but the nation was rooting for him!

whenim64 Thu 31-May-12 08:39:57

Ohhhh! That's so sad - he was doing really well last night and sticking up for himself! Such a shame.