Gransnet forums

Chat

What I did today.

(1001 Posts)
Nelliemoser Thu 27-Sep-12 22:54:32

"Today I've been is full" So I have started What I did Today, as I have something to be a granny bore with.

Today I became a gran for real. DD had my 1st GC 8 days after due date. Several days of twinges and a bad night.
DD rang me at 12;15 today.Just seen midwife at clinic, 3cm and waiting for the taxi to hospital. 5pm I had a phone call, baby had arrived at at 3:30 pm. That is 3 to 10cm in 3hrs! Noah Alexander ***. 6lb 11ozs. Forceps as baby was tiring but amazingly quick DD and SIL surprised by the speed. DD tired and sore but says she is totally in love. I am visiting tomorrow 60 miles away. What a day smile smile smile smile

janeainsworth Mon 05-Nov-12 19:04:34

nonu Thanks, our nephew only joined up last year and so far has not been anywhere awful - he has just gone to Kenya for training. Afghanistan next year probably.

Nonu Mon 05-Nov-12 18:48:35

Jane , so has he been returned safely ? Hope so very much !

janeainsworth Mon 05-Nov-12 18:46:34

harri I've only just seen this thread and I'm so sorry, for your friend and her husband and you and your DH too. We have close friends whose children we have known all their lives - they are as dear to us as family. flowers
nonu- our nephew is in the Royal Anglians.

Nonu Mon 05-Nov-12 18:08:58

The other thing I forgot to mention is that Royal Anglia Regiment paraded through the town . As we are only a hop skip and jump from where it was naturally nipped down to cheer the lads .

They are just boys , looked sooo young , thank the lord they are safely back for their families .

To be truthful , felt quite humbled . smile

celebgran Mon 05-Nov-12 18:02:30

isthisallthereis we only live abut 15 miles from Colchester!! hope you enjoyed your meet up and the paintings

Nonu Mon 05-Nov-12 17:03:00

I , Mr Nonu , his two brothers and their wives went out to lunch today . It was really super , M.I.L.if she had lived would have been a hundred , so we raised a glass to her smile

soop Mon 05-Nov-12 17:01:51

harri Such sad news. I feel so sorry for the parents.

kittylester Mon 05-Nov-12 12:00:41

Harri what an awful thing to happen [flowers

We should be at a funeral this morning but both Dh and I are suffering from a 24 hour bug which seems to be lasting about 3 days.

We are really sad to be missing saying goodbye to an old friend and being there with her lovely family sad

Rinky my mum keeps asking us why she is living in a hovel when she worked hard all her life to get a nice home together. Her care home is lovely and eating up her money at an alarming rate.

whenim64 Mon 05-Nov-12 09:46:46

isthis my name came from me anticipating my 64th earlier this year. I now remain 64 till the end of my days! grin

Maniac Mon 05-Nov-12 09:34:05

The engineers are here changing my shower and CH boiler.I put alarm on and got up early.Of course they had to arrive when I was on the loo!They are very pleasant and helpful
Lots of banging and clanging .Made first round of tea.

isthisallthereis Mon 05-Nov-12 09:09:26

Cheers whenim64 still not left, still messing around on Gransnet.

Love yr screen-name, is that looking forward or like me looking way back! smile

whenim64 Mon 05-Nov-12 09:01:59

Have a great time isthis. Yes, report back and let us know what your friend's paintings are like. You must have lots to catch up on. smile

isthisallthereis Mon 05-Nov-12 08:57:30

Am I allowed to write what I will be doing today rather than what I've done?

I'm making a very long return train journey (7 hrs travelling) to Colchester, a place I've never been to before, to see an exhibition of paintings by someone I worked with long ago, and who I meet up with about once every 20 years! So it'll be a real eye-opener in many ways.

Must get going.

"Every journey starts with a single step" - Confucius.

Shall I report back? smile

Oldgreymare Mon 05-Nov-12 08:51:21

Harri sad news at any time but seems especially so today..... I don't like Mondays!
Jeni and Smoluski I think I hold the record, finally 'up' and showered by 5 p.m. just in time to prepare supper and watch Sunday night telly! blush

JessM Mon 05-Nov-12 08:44:05

That's so sad harri - I'm sure you will be a good support to the in the dark days ahead.

Smoluski Mon 05-Nov-12 07:57:31

Harri no age at all....my heart goes out to you allflowersxxxx

nanaej flowers for your lovely cousin.xxxx

harrigran Sun 04-Nov-12 23:38:00

Thank you all for your sympathy. My friend and I are very close and our DHs are first cousins which makes her son a relative of DH. S was only 34 but I think I mentioned the other day that he had pulmonary hypertension but he was going about his everyday life as normal. My friend and her DH are too devastated to speak at present.

RINKY Sun 04-Nov-12 23:32:03

Oh. How to follow all that sadness! Heart goes out to all who loose children, must be horrendous.

Just to say, bought mum a new tv today. She was amazed when I walked in with a 'suitcase' and wanted to know where the man was to help me carry it as tv's are so heavy. She wanted to take a tenner off the price for them being so rude as to make me carry it myself!! I wish!

It's only a 22" and of course they are light as air nowadays and so easy to set up too if you don't go in for the fancy stuff.

Must reiterate, mum has dementia and is in a home because dad can't cope with her nocturnal wanderings. She was given a digi box a few weeks ago but trying to get her used to using yet another remote has been frustrating and laughable but she was adamant she would not get rid of the huge heavy thing she had in her room until just the other day when of course she had a complete turnaround and wanted to know why she couldn't have a new telly, she had worked hard all her life and deserved one!! You couldn't make it up.

Also this very proud, private and once prudish woman has now told us all she still fancies my dad and wishes they could be alone together more often so they could have a real kiss and cuddle....aaaaagh.

nanaej Sun 04-Nov-12 23:13:15

So very sad when children of any age die before a parent... it is the wrong order. Sympathy to your friend harrigran

I have a lovely second cousin, now in her eighties who has borne tragedy with huge courage and dignity. She was widowed and left to raise four young children in the 1950s.

Her youngest son was killed in a motor bike accident when still in his teens. Her middle son died suddenly some years back in his late 40's and her daughter died a year ago in her mid 50's following an operation. It seems hideously unfair.

merlotgran Sun 04-Nov-12 22:35:12

Terribly sad news, harrigran flowers

gracesmum Sun 04-Nov-12 22:31:16

As mothers and grandmothers we can imagine the pain and grief. I am so sorry for your friend's loss harrigran and send my deepest sympathy also to you as her friend. flowers

jeni Sun 04-Nov-12 21:31:35

Harriso sorry.flowers

Smoluski Sun 04-Nov-12 21:20:46

A terrible shock for your friend Harri ..she is right you shouldn't have to bury your child..I wish I could send some strength to get through this terrible time,and for you so that you can support her at this timeflowers

whenim64 Sun 04-Nov-12 20:52:56

Harrigran I'm very sorry to hear about your friend's sad loss. We had the same sort of bereavement a year ago. Losing a son like this is heartbreaking flowers

numberplease Sun 04-Nov-12 20:46:48

So sorry to hear your bad news Harrigran, your poor friend.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion