Gransnet forums

Chat

Multi-tasking

(22 Posts)
gracesmum Fri 18-Jan-13 23:10:29

Who says men can't multi-task?
Er, well me for one.
En route to London hospital appointment - early train sad as usual I dropped him at the station entrance, went to park car and walked back to join him. He was at the ATM getting some money and I commented that we could probably get an earlier train than we had originally planned and given it was starting to snow, maybe the sooner we were on our way the better.
Mistake.
He missed hearing the machine tell him to take his card out - so result? Card swallowed up, no cash and his other (credit as opposed to debit) card blocked as we found out later on our way home.
Of course this was entirely my fault as I couldn't expect him to do two things at once.shock
I haud my wheesht as we say in Scotland. ("Kept quiet"for Sassenachs)
Was I really asking too much?

jeni Fri 18-Jan-13 23:17:00

grin
Just strangle,him and plead ' self defence, on grounds of usual male,incompetance'!
Night !moon'

glassortwo Fri 18-Jan-13 23:18:50

grinthe words men and multi task should not be muttered in the same breath grin

Night jeni moon

Movedalot Sat 19-Jan-13 11:48:42

grace why is it always out fault? Similar incident with us. I wanted to go to stay with DS on Thursday night to avoid the snow so we could be there on Friday. Himself didn't agree and said that if the snow was bad I would blame him because we hadn't gone! Of course when we got up on Friday the snow was too bad for us to go and he said "I told you you would blame me". I responded that it was still his responsibility even if he had predicted that I would tell him so. Somehow he seems to think he is exhonerated! grin

gracesmum Sat 19-Jan-13 12:31:17

Like a Mum's - a woman's place is in the wrong? grin

Movedalot Sat 19-Jan-13 12:42:03

Oh yes grin Shoudl be used to it by now!

absent Sat 19-Jan-13 13:06:43

Oldies are apparently not much good at it either according to some American research. Over 65s came out as less capable of performing a mental and a physical task simultaneously than the 20 somethings. The scans showed their poor old brains having a hard time trying.

Grannyeggs Sat 19-Jan-13 13:14:20

They must have got the wrong 65 year olds.I am glued to Gransnet, debearding some mussels for lunch, and tidying out a kitchen cupboard. But I have found that DH can only do one thing at a time. He says that is because he is meticulous, am not sure what that I saying about me hmm

Movedalot Sat 19-Jan-13 13:33:49

No, I'm knitting, listening to Any Questions and looking at this all at the same time and I am more than 65. I agree with eggs selective sample obviously grin

feetlebaum Sat 19-Jan-13 13:36:06

I think it was Billy Connolly who wanted to know why, if woman are so good at multitasking they can't have sex and a headache at the same time...

Movedalot Sat 19-Jan-13 13:40:23

This is another example of men blaming women for their failings. If they are so flippin good at it why would a woman want to 'have a headache' grin

Elegran Sat 19-Jan-13 13:50:26

The poor old brains are having a better and deeper search on the mental questions. They know that there is more than one answer to every question, so they don't blurt out the first one they find. And maybe the auld yins would rather do one thing after another, thoroughly, than make a hash of two things simultaneously.

Movedalot Sat 19-Jan-13 14:03:52

Only 2 things Elegran I'm much more talented than that. I can make a hash of several things at the same time, believe me grin

Kali Sat 19-Jan-13 14:12:17

I'm one of the guinea pigs in 'research into ageing' being carried out at our local University. The latest results show that on certain tasks we over 65s carry out we perform better than the control group of students.
But I can't remember which ones they were grin

Movedalot Sat 19-Jan-13 14:14:03

Kali that's because you are so busy multi-tasking grin

Kali Sat 19-Jan-13 14:23:34

With four pairs of arms it's a doddle. You should see my snowmen...they could be described as 'anatomically correct' grin . You know the old joke about the difference between snowmen and snow women I guess hmm

Elegran Sat 19-Jan-13 14:28:01

It must be that the snow women have snow boobs but a snowman has snow balls?

Kali Sat 19-Jan-13 14:42:27

Absolutely. Now I'm asking myself why I only built snowmen???? I think that's not very PC is it?

Nelliemoser Sat 19-Jan-13 15:21:28

I think making snow boobs for a snow woman could be tricky depending on the quailty of the snow. Like most of us these days they would need the support. wink

Elegran Sat 19-Jan-13 15:25:40

The snow balls could be a precarious position too. Could fall off at any time. No wonder most snowmen have a rather distant expression - they are concentrating like mad on tensing all nearby muscles to keep everything together.

Kali Sat 19-Jan-13 17:16:49

Oh dear. Just been out to put hens to bed and the snowmen have lost their masculinity. We now have snow eunuchs wink

gracesmum Sat 19-Jan-13 18:58:13

Hmm - cold is it? Enough to freeze the b............grin