Gransnet forums

Chat

ONE BILLION RISING. Will you give your support to women across the planet on 14 February?

(216 Posts)
whenim64 Sat 26-Jan-13 12:54:55

Starting a fresh thread to keep the momentum. We all know the horrifying accounts of women raped by gangs of men in India, and that rape is as common in all parts of the world and most cultures (in fact, no culture that is rape-free has been identified).

Please lend your support to this momentous plan for women to rise up and demand an end to violence at the hands of men, on 14 February.

One Billion Rising is publicised on he internet, and you can find what's happening near you by checking Facebook. It's growing daily, so please share this with your friends.

glassortwo Sat 26-Jan-13 13:12:39

I am going to Durham on the 14th 12 to 2pm anyone fancy joining me?

Marelli Sat 26-Jan-13 13:35:34

As soon as I find out the route that the march will be taking, I shall make sure I'm there. My daughter will be drumming in a large group called the De Gaia Drummers, named after her late good friend.

Nonu Sat 26-Jan-13 14:49:53

Won"t be able to join as I will be in Mauritius .

Movedalot Sat 26-Jan-13 14:55:53

Poor you Nonu grin

whenim64 Sat 26-Jan-13 15:01:17

Nonu Happily, Mauritius also has One Billion Rising V-Day arrangements, and they will be in public for all to see. Enjoy!

Nonu Sat 26-Jan-13 15:07:05

I KNOW Move. How is your a little better I trust {smile].

When . How do you know ? smile

Nonu Sat 26-Jan-13 15:08:32

Typo , Move. should have put in back , although you probably guessed anyway

whenim64 Sat 26-Jan-13 15:22:13

Nonu every country that is joining in is listed on the One Billion Rising website and on Facebook smile

200 countries are now signed up.

Here in Manchester, there are three separate events in the city centre, Hulme and Rusholme.

Nonu Sat 26-Jan-13 15:42:50

Crikey and crikey again . It IS a good thing though !

sunshine

Movedalot Sat 26-Jan-13 15:47:15

Thanks Nonu Still the same. Looking forward to seeing the doc on Monday. Doesn't look like I will be joining in any dancing!

HUNTERF Sat 26-Jan-13 18:30:50

Hi whenim64

To be honest I think 99.9% of men are very against the rape of any woman. Unfortunately it only takes 1 man to commit rape.
I think rising up and demanding an end to violence at the hands of men, on 14 February is a pointless protest.
As a father of 2 daughters and 3 granddaughters I would not even visit a strip or lapdancing club as it is not showing respect for women.
I am prepared to go into a room with 30 women doing aerobics often with my daughters.
I was acused once by one lady of having no respect for women as I was the only man in that class but the other ladies protested as I had been going to the class for about 6 years at that point and saw no harm in it.
I think some of the women were amused by it as they knew I was rubbish at sports at school.

Frank

absent Sat 26-Jan-13 18:43:18

HUNTERF No one here is accusing all men of being potential or actual rapists. However, quite apart from those who do rape and assault women, there are men who will make jokes about rape or other kinds of sexual violence or talk about it light-heartedly and flippantly, even though they wouldn't dream of assaulting a woman themselves. If you want to look at the statistics about violence to women, it is salutary to remember that, on average, two women a week are murdered by their partners or ex-partners in this country.

The women victims of violent assault – and that includes rape – are often blamed and villified for the crime committed against them. The law is not working and offers no protection or justice for the majority. Standing up and being counted is one way women – whether they have been victims or not – can voice their anger and disgust. The chances are that at least one woman you know has been sexually assaulted or raped. There are certainly quite a number of women on Gransnet who have been or who have daughters who have been. Keeping quiet is not an option.

glass Do you want a companion? I'll pm.

Butty Sat 26-Jan-13 18:49:33

absent - Your post echos everything I know and feel. No need to add more.

Because I can't organise a 'Rising' here in my Commune, I'm working on having one at home. I've been delighted, when talking about this event, that my male friends also want to participate. I see that as such a good thing. smile

whenim64 Sat 26-Jan-13 18:51:24

HUNTER. You are entitled to your view, and saying that you think it is a pointless protest reinforces for me the lack of understanding that so many men have about rape. Having trained judges, prison officers, police, head teachers and other professionals about the issues around rape and sexual attacks, I have been subjected to lots of pieces of 'advice' about how men think, and disclosures about what they themselves have done to women and got away with.

Here is not the place to vent my feelings about what you have said. Suffice it to say that you are representative of so many men who say they would never do such a thing, but won't lift a finger to support women who have. And please do not assume I say these things because I am anti-men or a victim of rape myself. I, fortunately (so far), am neither angry

Ariadne Sat 26-Jan-13 18:58:27

absent you said it all. Thank you. I will get my lovely women moving - anyone else for Barnstaple?

Ariadne Sat 26-Jan-13 18:59:57

And so did you, when. Thank you too! I agree with everything you say.

moomin Sat 26-Jan-13 19:01:42

Well said absent

Ariadne Sat 26-Jan-13 19:04:45

There is a Facebook page where you can share it, too.

Butty Sat 26-Jan-13 19:09:48

.....and men can help Break the Chain too - my husband and sons have. here

Butty Sat 26-Jan-13 19:18:53

HUNTERF

I don't understand, when you say you respect women, you would consider supporting this issue as a pointless exercise.

whenim64 Sat 26-Jan-13 19:24:43

As always, when reminded of what so many children have endured I am humbled by the bravery and selflessness of people like this wonderful man who strives to help. Thank you Butty

Butty Sat 26-Jan-13 19:34:39

when - More support from men here

I actually meant to do this link. The previous link was one of many.

glassortwo Sat 26-Jan-13 19:44:45

butty I have just read your first link and it comes so close to home sad

whenim64 Sat 26-Jan-13 19:46:43

HUNTER I urge you to read the links Butty has kindly posted, as they do explain why men can see some point in joining this world-wide protest against rape and violation of women and children. Every single man that lends his support can help to make the world a safer place for half of the world's population.