Gransnet forums

Chat

Nestlé is Draining Developing Countries’ Groundwater to Make Its Pure Life Bottled Water

(25 Posts)
Nonnie Thu 14-Nov-13 13:26:20

Faye, the answer is 'No', it wouldn't even occur to think about such things, profit is all.

Zephrine Thu 14-Nov-13 07:03:09

Signed and shared.

Faye Thu 14-Nov-13 06:54:42

Nestlé are the leading nutrition, wellness company. Good Food, Good Life is the promise we commit to everyday, everywhere to enhance lives, throughout life, with good food and beverages. confused

So they say, wonder if anyone on the board has a conscience.

Nonnie Wed 13-Nov-13 07:08:16

Wouldn't it be good to read that they were sending plane loads of their bottled water to the Philippines? Not holding my breath!

I suspect they would make a big thing of it if they were like they did about reducing fat in KitKats! Just another marketing gimmicks.

Iam64 Tue 12-Nov-13 07:53:43

Yes, I got this on email and signed it, shared it etc. My grandsons are now late teens, and when small boys, staying over, would carefully choose breakfast cereal whilst telling me they weren't allowed anything Nestle. What a disgusting way to maximise profit.

Nonnie Tue 12-Nov-13 07:27:36

Be as odd as you like 23, you are not alone. Glad there are still some of us who take these things seriously. I have forwarded this to as many as I can

whenim64 Mon 11-Nov-13 21:16:10

Signed when I got the email.

Granny23 Mon 11-Nov-13 21:04:46

signed and forwarded. I have been boycotting Nestlé since my DDs were babies and know many people who do the same. I am ashamed to say that once on holiday when only Nescafe sachets were supplied I did make and drink one but the following morning bought a small jar of something else to use and now always take my favourite instant with me. I find that many people, who avoid other Nestlé products still drink Nescafe and it seems to be the coffee of choice at coffee mornings. I cause consternation when I refuse to drink or serve it. I try to explain why but know that folks just think it is another example of me being 'odd'. Ho Hum.

cazthebookworm Mon 11-Nov-13 20:33:27

Signed and shared

Faye Mon 11-Nov-13 20:15:21

It's ironic, Nestles encouraging women in third world countries without access to clean water to use their formula. Now they are stealing the clean water from people in third world countries leaving them with no decent water. They are truly evil.

I also still pronounce Nestlé the anglicised way, (Nestles), I won't be dictated by this company's marketing. I can still remember their ad telling us to say Nestlé.

Ariadne Mon 11-Nov-13 20:12:29

Signed and shared!

Lona Mon 11-Nov-13 19:53:45

Signed and shared.

annodomini Mon 11-Nov-13 19:32:23

Also signed

AlieOxon Mon 11-Nov-13 19:17:35

I was sent an email and have signed. Never supported Nestles since the dried milk in Africa advertising years ago.

alternativegran Mon 11-Nov-13 19:09:13

Petition signed will pass message on.

Agus Mon 11-Nov-13 18:38:45

Done

Aka Mon 11-Nov-13 18:28:13

Done.

Kiora Mon 11-Nov-13 18:24:38

Annodomini good to know others feel the same this has always been my little causes nestle' encouraging mums to formula feed when there is no access to clean water. So finding out that they are causing more misery in the name of profit does not surprise me one bit. It's a pleasure to sign.

annodomini Mon 11-Nov-13 10:27:00

I've been trying to boycott Nestlé for over forty years when I had baby milk leaflets from them in Africa one of which showed a contented black baby taking Nestlé's formula from a bottle, when babies were dying all over Africa from being given formula made up with unsterilised water. What next!

Eloethan Mon 11-Nov-13 10:18:26

It's sickening and I try and avoid Nestle products. Coca Cola is also responsible for wasting precious water in countries such as India.

Like grannyactivist I do despair sometimes - people's lives, and the planet as a whole, are being ruined by individuals and corporations who care for nothing but profit.

vegasmags Mon 11-Nov-13 10:17:17

Done. I make a point of never buying bottled water. Lakeland sell a wonderful leak proof bottle which can go in the dishwasher - I now have several and just use those. I often think that my dad would have laughed his socks off to think that people would actually buy water! I may be cynical, but it seems that the advice to drink 8 glasses of water a day coincided with the advent of bottle water.

gracesmum Mon 11-Nov-13 10:11:03

Agree absolutely.

grannyactivist Mon 11-Nov-13 10:01:43

It's hard not to despair sometimes isn't it? Nestlé as a company is symbolic of the drive for profits over people. At a time when Wateraid (and other organisations) is working hard to provide wells and clean water it's unconscionable the Nestlé is doing the opposite and extracting water from people who are most in need.

Iam64 Mon 11-Nov-13 09:56:45

done

Faye Mon 11-Nov-13 09:46:12

Nestle who many of us have boycotted over the years are destroying countries’ natural resources before forcing its people to buy their own water back.

Now Nestlé is moving into Pakistan and sucking up the local water supply, rendering entire areas uninhabitable in order to sell mineral-enriched water to the upper class as a status symbol, while the poor watch wells run dry and their children fall ill.

Please sign the Sum of Us petition and tell Nestlé to stop stealing Pakistan’s water and making its villages uninhabitable.

action.sumofus.org/a/nestle-water-pakistan/