Gransnet forums

Chat

Hen night help

(17 Posts)
storynanny Wed 16-Apr-14 23:21:45

So im going on my first hen night soon, aged 57. Theme is characters from alice in wonderland. I cant be ice or queen of hearts so im thinking cat ears pink stripy tights for the cheshire cat. What shall i wear in between? I cant wear a tutu can i like the young ones. Its in a night club. Oh dear. Im 57.

DebnCreme Wed 16-Apr-14 23:50:03

I went to one daughter's hen night and found it a major embarrasment then I went to my youngest's when she went clay pidgeon shooting, followed by a cream tea then on for a nice meal. After this was a chance for we oldies to leave and the youngsters to go clubbing. It was great fun and I hope yours is as good.

Perhaps you could wear a long pink jumper (long enough to hide bits if necessary) or a long pink shirt over your tights. The latter might be cooler for a night club. Or you could go as a card, making a removable card to take off when you need to sit down, wearing matching pretty trousers and top underneath.

Actually I like your idea of the Cheshire Cat better but think you should wear a tutu. Why not? You are only 57 after all, a mere youngster. tbugrin

have a great time.

Soupy Thu 17-Apr-14 07:33:48

I second the Cheshire Cat with a tutu.

Funnily enough I'm also going to a Mad Hatter's Tea Party Hen do this weekend but I've rented a Queen of Hearts costume.

Pretty sure it's not the same Hen Party as yours!

KittyFisher Thu 17-Apr-14 09:14:45

Cheshire cat with tutu will look great.
Go for it - you're only a youngster. smile

Lona Thu 17-Apr-14 10:37:33

I wouldn't go to hen party if my life depended on it, tbugrin, but good luck to you.

Galen Thu 17-Apr-14 10:45:07

Surely it should be a catsuit?

Iam64 Thu 17-Apr-14 12:40:54

Whatever you decide, wear something you feel comfortable, and well as happy in. I share the fear of hen nights, but did go on one of my daughters, and it was great fun

storynanny Thu 17-Apr-14 15:23:53

I think it might be too hot for a furry cat suit in the night club. I also have to travel across portsmouth harbour on the ferry in this get up to get to the nightclub. Perhaps i could make a longer tutu rather than buy a thigh skimming one. Oh dear. Its not til June so plenty of time to create an outfit! Or to think up an excuse not to go

Galen Thu 17-Apr-14 15:41:19

I was thinking more of the slinky ones, as in Cats the musical.

rosequartz Thu 17-Apr-14 16:18:07

Nothing hot and furry, you could get very warm.

And beware, the one and only time I went to a hen party in a nightclub (in my fifties), I did not realise that girls put their drinks in a circle and dance around them. I blundered straight through them in the semi-darkness and the floor became very sticky. My friend steered me away quickly before I got lynched.

goldengirl Thu 17-Apr-14 18:01:30

Sounds a nightmare! What about the white rabbit? Wear a white outfit and a large watch and some bunny ears - job done OR dress in pink with a flamingo brooch and be the flamingo that Alice played croquet with ......

Enjoy!

tattynan Fri 18-Apr-14 22:54:52

Don't forget to take a bottle of your favourite tipple with a 'drink me' label tied on it.

The dormouse was my favourite character.

storynanny Fri 18-Apr-14 23:38:09

Thanks for all your comments, I am thinking that maybe I will do a token gesture at dressing up and just do a furry ear headband and a bit of facepaint with a nice smart LBD. Either white ears for white rabbit or pink and white for cheshire cat. The outfits the young ones are planning on wearing barely cover their knickers. Im envious, wish I was 30 and full of fun still and looking good in a short sexy outfit!
I can look after the handbags maybe.
Funnily enough I consider myself to be very young at heart and am a very sociable person, but this event has brought it home to me that I am growing older and more sedate. I have to go though as I am the long time partner of the bride's dad and her own mum passed away many years ago and she wants me to come.

dorsetpennt Sat 19-Apr-14 17:23:50

Living as I do in a seaside town that is popular with hen nights, I hate them. When did an evening out with your friends which involved drinks become an expensive event. A girl I know decided that all her friends could go away on a 'hen holiday' in expensive Venice. She then had her wedding 6 weeks later in Las Vegas and expected everyone to go there too. So that's 2 holiday times and loads of money spent by her guests on this wedding. Not to mention the outfit AND wedding present. I'd love to you how she could afford this too.
It's the same with stag weekends too. Some people are spending a lot of money on these events and someone is making loads of money on these events.
We're being had.

rosequartz Sat 19-Apr-14 19:43:57

Are these the same young people who are crying crocodile tears because they can't afford to buy a house?
Which isnall the fault of the baby boomers.

Anyway, wear what you feel comfortable in, storynanny, perhaps plus bunny ears and maybe a bobtail!

rosequartz Sat 19-Apr-14 19:44:20

Is all !!

storynanny Sat 19-Apr-14 23:26:20

I agree about the expense on some of these hen events. Fortunately in this case it is a simple night out at a local club. I know of girls locally who have had 3 different events for their weddings, some lasting days! This lovely bride has made all her own stuff for the wedding and they have a very small budget as they have just taken on a mortgage.
I am leaning towards wearing a white outfit now with bunny ears. I am getting into the swing of it now!