Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you manage your time?

(14 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 17-Apr-14 16:58:23

People often ask me to do things for them or help them out with things and usually I'm happy to oblige, but sometimes it comes across as, 'I'm too busy to do this, but you have plenty of time so help me out.' We all have the same amount of time in a day and I keep pretty busy, but I think I manage my time very effectively (hence having 'spare' time to help others out). I have time to do my 'chores' and it still leaves me with time for people - to have a chat/lunch/listen etc.
It got me wondering about other people. Are you busy? Is your time full or does the day stretch meaninglessly ahead? Do you fill your time with things that you'd rather not be doing or do you think you have a good balance of things that you both need and want to do. Do you have time to smell the roses and kick the leaves?

goldengirl Thu 17-Apr-14 17:21:37

I tend to work in the mornings when my brain is active, do a bit of housework if it fits in in the afternoons and some less active work such as reading up on subjects I'm involved with and then chill out in the evening. I have GC on
Weds and Pilates in Mondays and wiggle and jiggle other activities around to fit in where I can. I often have deadlines and so far have succeeded in keeping to them. I'm never bored but sometimes I get anxious about commitments especially if its of the speaking variety. I like to think I manage my time quite well but if anything has to be dropped its always the housework smile

Nonnie Thu 17-Apr-14 17:28:42

I'm busy but now I'm retired it is doing the things I want to do! Liberating. It is wonderful not to be committed to doing what someone else wants and quite often DH and I want to do the same things.

You just have to find your own way of saying 'No'. Last time I was asked to join something I said they would hate to have me because I am a great organiser and come across as bossy! It worked although just saying the one word 'no' can be effective too. It is a bold person who will ask why after that one word.

I will put myself out to help anyone who needs my help or anyone I know would do the same but if it is one of those people who never helps anyone else I refuse.

rosequartz Thu 17-Apr-14 17:29:01

Not very well since I joined Gransnet.

Nelliemoser Thu 17-Apr-14 18:02:03

Me neither rosequartz and I am sure we are not alone.

glammanana Thu 17-Apr-14 18:05:59

After a hectic start to my outside catering business when I felt obliged to say yes to most enquiries I have now linited myself to 2 days a week and that can be of any combination either 2 full days or just 2 evenings & 2 afternoons depending on the client,I still do my charity shop volunteering on a Wednesday pm and everything else seems to fit in nicely giving me most early evenings to either relax with GN or visit DD or DSs,I have no difficulty in saying no after having a client telephoned me none stop for a booking and I moved things around to fit her in only for her to try and change days at the last minute , my free time is precious and I will stick to what suits me.

Charleygirl Thu 17-Apr-14 18:11:32

I am with rosequartz and Nelliemoser on that one. I used to go out more and do more around the house. I am considering restricting myself to an hour am and again pm.

DebnCreme Thu 17-Apr-14 19:12:19

Yes Rosequartz GN has a lot to answer for.

rosequartz Thu 17-Apr-14 20:25:14

Must go and chat with my visiting family. They are just putting DGS to bed (very late indeed).

janerowena Fri 18-Apr-14 11:48:24

We have some very bossy ladies in this village, mostly widows without children at home, who seem to feel that anything they want you to do for charitable works is far more important than your family. Our village is very, very busy. I have learnt to say No, and also have bought a phone with number recognition so that I can ignore their calls and have time to think up an excuse if necessary. Even so, I find myself roped in for all sorts of things.

At 4pm I used to sit down at the computer with a cup of tea and look at facebook, before I had to collect DS from school. I could never understand why the phone would ring as soon as I did so - until I realised that friends also on facebook could see that I was on. So I worked out how to block them from being able to see me, because I never did get to catch up with messages to family because of them. I'm so glad I did it then, because that facility has disappeared!

I'm quite strict with myself, no forums until all else has been done, and during morning coffee/lunch/afternoon tea only, maybe in the evenings but not often.

ninathenana Fri 18-Apr-14 16:35:17

DH works 3 mornings a week so that is my time for housework, if I'm not babysitting. Which can be 2-3 times a week depending on what DD is up to. The rest of the time is for meeting friends or DD, pottering in the garden or if the weather is bad reading or jigsaws. Weekends we like to get out and about somewhere.
Evenings are for chilling.

liminetta Sat 19-Apr-14 10:01:20

For much of my life after 50, I was spending my time looking after my mother, and child minding grandchildren,(and other peoples, I may add.)
Oh, and part time working. But at last I am free to pursue my leisure and do so with much enthusiasm! I have had to put the brakes on a little, as there is so much out there!
Here is my list;
Walking with a group of sixty people twice a week
Line dancing
Sequence dancing
Whist
Cinema with friends plus lunch
Exercise class with Age U.K.
Practicing a World War Commemoration dance to perform around various sheltered accomodations.
Country Dancing
Theatre volunteer and fundraiser
Mothers Union.
Blimey! do I really do all that in a week????!!!!
Oh, and computer; Gransnet, of course!

liminetta Sat 19-Apr-14 10:03:04

Oh, forgot to add - HOUSEWORK.

KittyFisher Sat 19-Apr-14 11:07:56

I enjoy every day because I never do anything I don't want to do. I have a great love of walking in the countryside and go off with a friend at least once a week on a longish ramble - also a few shorter walks with hubby. I also enjoy swimming with my daughter and grandson and going to aqua fit classes at my local leisure centre. Last but not least I look after my 18 month old grandson once or twice a week which I love doing. Once my daughter in law asked me if I could have him more but I gently refused. Twice a week is quite enough and leaves me time for my other persuits.

I would just say to anyone doing what they don't enjoy - stop doing it if you can. Life's too short. smile