Gransnet forums

Chat

Happy Easter

(28 Posts)
rosesarered Fri 18-Apr-14 16:20:32

Wishing you all a very Happy Easter week-end, are you organising egg hunts, cooking for the family, having a break away from home or simply pottering in the garden? Whatever you are doing, there should be chocolate.tbusmile tbusmile tbusmile

ninathenana Fri 18-Apr-14 16:23:09

There had better be !

We are having a quiet one, and avoiding the jams. Enjoy your weekend everyone.

yogagran Fri 18-Apr-14 21:13:52

Can anyone tell me why today is called "Good Friday"?

For Jesus this was anything but a good Friday

rosequartz Fri 18-Apr-14 21:25:55

Because Jesus sacrificed Himself for our good? Not sure, just a thought.

Should go to church on Easter Sunday, but I think I will be cooking for a gathering.

NanKate Fri 18-Apr-14 21:30:58

Went to the Good Friday service in our local park for the main churches in the town.

It was quite poignant watching a young man carry the cross.

The sun shone but it was cold in the wind and standing for an hour can be rather tiring. Anyway I am pleased we went.

Ariadne Fri 18-Apr-14 21:59:20

Some ideas are that it is called Good Friday either because, as rosequartz says, it is the day that Jesus died for our good, or it derives from an old Germanic source "Guttes Freitag" - God's Friday. And so on...

durhamjen Fri 18-Apr-14 22:34:42

I have received a gift box from Carluccio's which has Easter Eggs in as well as other good stuff from one of my sons. Definitely chocolate for me.
Have managed not to look in the box yet, but cannot guarantee I will not before Sunday.

Elegran Fri 18-Apr-14 22:42:03

I imagine it is God's Friday, just as "Goodbye" is "God be with You"

kittylester Sat 19-Apr-14 08:40:38

We are going to have lunch with DD1 and family and she's cooking! tbusmile

I always wanted to receive one of those Thornton's eggs that had lots of icing flowers all over, I've never had one and they don't do them anymore! tbusad

Humbertbear Sat 19-Apr-14 09:09:58

My mother in law was High Church and we were never allowed to wish her a happy Easter. We could send Easter Greetings but she considered it to be a serious festival with deep religious meaning

Nonu Sat 19-Apr-14 10:00:47

Happy Easter , one and all .
Hope everyone has a very lovely time, whatever you may be doing !!
tbusmile tbusmile
No chocs, just a nice bunch of flowers, do you far more, got to think of the old waistline.

x

NanKate Sat 19-Apr-14 10:06:30

Same here Nonu, if I get the taste of choc I can't stop, so its best to avoid it for me.

KittyFisher Sat 19-Apr-14 11:00:42

Happy Easter everyone. flowers

Galen Sat 19-Apr-14 11:57:11

And from me

rosesarered Sat 19-Apr-14 14:29:53

Even if we avoid it all year [chocolate] got to have a bit this week-end when the whole world seems to be tucking into scrummy choc eggs. When we were children we were given handmade choc eggs with iced flowers on them [ a bit like Thorntons used to do] they were expensive, but you know what? We wanted Cadbury's ones in a box with lots of packaging.That's kids for you!

felice Sat 19-Apr-14 14:40:57

God bless everyone, have a great weekend, unfortunately I don't like Choc, yep and I live in belguim!!!!!!!, DGS tonight then quite a bit to do at Church tomorrow then a nice quiet afternoon with North by Northwest, which I recorded a couple of weeks ago. And probably a glass of vino to go with it.

mrshat Sat 19-Apr-14 17:32:53

Have a good Easter everyone - chocolates and flowers

Soutra Sun 20-Apr-14 10:34:34

Happy Easter everyone! Always like the fact that there is less razzmatazz than C'mas and that Saturday is "in the middle" for the domestic trivia!

Bellasnana Sun 20-Apr-14 10:46:30

Here in Malta there is more razzmatazz than at Christmas. On Good Friday many villages have long and elaborate processions carrying very heavy and ornate statues depicting the Passion of Christ. Bands accompanying the processions play funeral marches and there is a sombre atmosphere.

This morning, there have been processions where they run with a statue of the Risen Christ, the music is joyful and there is a general celebratory atmosphere and lots of noisy fireworks.

Happy Easter sunshine

annodomini Sun 20-Apr-14 10:52:21

I was in Guadaloupe (the Spanish one) on Good Friday eleven years ago, where a statue of the Virgin was paraded through the streets with a band that struck up every so often, apparently at random. As they passed, residents hung lacy cloths over their balconies and once they had gone the cloths were neatly folded up and kept for next time. The statue wasn't the famous black Madonna - she was in a heavily protected case, and displayed to pilgrims by one of the monks in the monastery.

granjura Sun 20-Apr-14 11:11:03

Lovely sunny warm weather today (after 2 horrible days) - just saw the end of the Easter Service at Leicester Cathedral and spotted a few known faces, and then OH turned over to a race at Donnington Park- so made us think of all our friends in Leics.

Out to the garden to potter about now- Sunday lunch will be just for the 2 of us and late afternoon. Joyeuses Pâques smile

janerowena Sun 20-Apr-14 11:19:19

Still waiting for teenage son to wake up to see his eggs! At least I don't have GCs staying this year, so am not trying to do a cooked breakfast whilst simultaneously hiding 40,000 eggs and trying to keep them occupied so they can't watch me doing it, as in previous years, but I had to laugh as at 7.30am this morning I could hear an Easter egg hunt going on in a garden up the lane! Some other poor grandparents must have been up at the crack of dawn.

DBH says that he would hugely miss singing in a cathedral over Easter (he sings as a deputy lay clerk in the one at Bury St. Edmunds) but wouldn't miss all the rest. He is such a liar. He would be monumentally upset if he wasn't given any chocolate.

Pittcity Sun 20-Apr-14 11:35:02

Quiet and rainy Easter here. Just me and DS (DH is away assessing a Duke of Edinburgh Award Expedition as he is every Easter!)
We will watch films and eat chocolate this afternoon as tradition dictates! tbuwink

Galen Sun 20-Apr-14 12:27:41

Rain here. On my own. Just decided what to have for my main meal :- porridge!

Dragonfly1 Sun 20-Apr-14 12:28:51

Are you not going to shoot chicks and rabbits, Galen?