Gransnet forums

Chat

Ice Bucket Challenge?

(53 Posts)
whenim64 Sat 23-Aug-14 10:33:56

I just looked in on Facebook and there's a video of SiL having a big bucket of ice and water thrown over him by his mum, sponsored in aid of Cancer UK. Not taken much notice until it's been done by someone I know. Very funny to watch. He's nominated his sister and a friend to do it now. Must be the latest fund raiser after the no makeup selfie earlier this year. Anyone else doing it?

Agus Sat 23-Aug-14 10:51:47

DD sent me a video on FB where people in America are doing this too for charity.

I don't know of anyone here yet and it's not something I could do but hats off to those taking part for such a good cause.

Ana Sat 23-Aug-14 10:55:20

I think a few politicians etc. have been doing it here.

Ana Sat 23-Aug-14 10:57:16

And loads of Slebs, of course!

Soutra Sat 23-Aug-14 11:10:31

But is it actually raising MONEY for Cancer Research/Relief? If so sll power to thrir elbow but if it just raising awareness, I am less impressed. I am a killjoy aren't I?(don't answer that!) grin

suebailey1 Sat 23-Aug-14 11:16:08

I think its meant to be famous people who then nominate someone even more famous and unlikely than themselves e.g. Justin Bieber nominated Barack Obama. Saw several on the news - Ethel Kennedy, Bill Gates.
have offered to throw icy water over DH but he wants to reciprocate - fat chance.

Marelli Sat 23-Aug-14 11:23:46

Lots on 'my' Facebook of friends and neighbours doing it and then nominating friends and neighbours of their own. Sound a bit of killjoy too, perhaps - could they not just send the money to their chosen charity without doing this hmm? Think the charities are Macmillan and MND.

ginny Sat 23-Aug-14 11:30:30

I do tend to agree with Marelli and Soutra. But I'm told just sending money quietly doesn't raise awareness. Sceptic that I am I wonder how many who do the challenge or their friends actually send money .

Marelli Sat 23-Aug-14 11:45:36

One of my friends has done it, and I know she'll be sending the money in (and will make sure those she's nominated will do it and send their money in)! They wouldn't dare not to! wink

Bellasnana Sat 23-Aug-14 11:51:39

It started as a way to raise funds for the ALS association (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) apparently.
I've seen a lot of people on Facebook taking the challenge - especially enjoyed the Red Arrows team's effort!

dustyangel Sat 23-Aug-14 12:33:37

I'd never heard of this until GS did it last week.DD1 text that he would be on youtube live in 15 minutes as the company he has an apprentice ship with were raising money for a local charity in memory of the son of one the directors who had died at the weekend. Of course we were glued to our laptops and of course he wasn't on till the end. I posted on soops kitchen that only grandparents would be daft enough to watch total strangers have icy water thrown over them for three quarters of an hour just for a glimpse of their grandson. grin

He has already raised some money for charity by long distance cycling and it is nice to know that he is working for a company that has a strong ethos of raising money for charity. They support a local hospice among other things and the money raised makes a big difference.

POGS Sat 23-Aug-14 19:12:09

I think it's a great idea and like most of these interactive challenges/bit's of harmless fun it's cheap to do, reaches a wide audience and generates funds for charity.

What's not to like.

The fact so many people from all backgrounds are doing it only makes it more appealing for getting more people to do it and that in turn will raise more money. Good on um I say. smile

Flowerofthewest Sat 23-Aug-14 19:14:28

I thought that the people who take part don't have to give to the charity, if they are nominated and do not take part then they have to give. Just my understanding. It does raise awareness to certain conditions though which is a good thing.

Ana Sat 23-Aug-14 19:46:10

www.macmillan.org.uk/ice-nominate.html?gclid=CLvb3IWFqsACFSTMtAodBQcAdA

They have to accept the challenge and donate, Flowerofthewest.
Then nominate someone else!

If someone refuses the challenge, then I suppose it's up to them whether they donate or not.

numberplease Sat 23-Aug-14 19:50:13

My daughter just called me to look at facebook on her laptop, as I don`t do facebook, and there was one of my grandsons, aged 17, having a bucket full of icy water thrown over him. He`s now nominated his mate.

Scooter58 Sat 23-Aug-14 21:58:00

My grandson Calum aged 9 has nominated me !!! Aarrgghhhh

Flowerofthewest Sat 23-Aug-14 22:02:45

OK get it

whenim64 Sat 23-Aug-14 22:06:16

In the space of 12 hours, my SiL has raised £470 and nominated two others (and me - he can get lost!) who will raise more and nominate others, so for as long as this lasts, it's doing some good.

Iam64 Sun 24-Aug-14 09:34:42

That's a good sum to raise in such a short time wheni'm, all credit to your SiL. It's easy to criticise celebs, and "ordinary" folk for taking part in this kind of charity fund raising, but anything that keeps the need to charity fund raise in the public eye can't be all bad - can it?

KatyK Sun 24-Aug-14 11:12:19

It was originally supposed to be raising money for Motor Neurone Disease, not that it matters as long as it's raising money for something.

rubysong Sun 24-Aug-14 13:42:23

Patrick Stewart on YouTube was sitting with the ice bucket, writing a cheque. He then put the ice in a glass, added what looked like brandy and drank it. Good for him. That was my kind of ice bucket challenge. Perhaps I'll challenge DH to a couple of g&ts later.

Penstemmon Sun 24-Aug-14 22:12:17

My DH did that this morning for MND association.. you text your donation.
we then went to spend the day with our friend who had MND..so please if you get nominated either do the challenge & donate £3 or donate the 'wimp' charge of £10 if you do not !

Iam64 Mon 25-Aug-14 08:46:39

A friend did this yesterday, and posted evidence on Facebook. It's great to see so many people raising money for charity, especially if it is going to MND which doesn't get the publicity that some other charities get.

I saw on line this morning, some young thug has posted a video on FB of him putting a puppy in a bucket of ice water, face first. The article said the rspca are trying to locate him. Let's hope they find him, prosecute him and remove that poor pup from his care.

rockgran Mon 25-Aug-14 13:12:22

Patrick Stewart's use of the ice bucket -someone with some sense at last. Cheers! wine

Aka Mon 25-Aug-14 13:38:07

Yes, my SiL is doing it tonight....we're ll invited to watch!