Gransnet forums

Chat

INDICATING

(29 Posts)
Nonu Tue 02-Sep-14 16:54:01

I know this was done some time back, BUT, I have just been out on a little errand in the car, the amount of people that just do not indicate, is quite amazing.
It just staggers me , this old woman pulled straight out in front of me with no indication whatsoever of her intentions, if I hadn"t been quick witted I would have run right into her. She just sailed past me and didn't turn a hair.
Don"t know if it is just particular to the area I live, some people just should NOT be on the road
hmm

sunseeker Tue 02-Sep-14 17:30:10

I'm afraid that gets me fuming too. Indicating which way you are going isn't exactly difficult is it. I don't know if anywhere else has that work of the devil known as double mini roundabouts, but we have them in Bristol and today I approached one set and as there were 4 cars coming from my right I stopped, each one turned left without indicating angry.

Charleygirl Tue 02-Sep-14 17:32:37

Nonu I could not agree more. Yesterday I wound down my window and asked a young man if he would consider buying a car with indicators next time. I then made a quick getaway! I find that bus drivers (outer London) are good re indicating but a high percentage of the general public do not bother.

suebailey1 Tue 02-Sep-14 17:33:09

You would think mirror signal manoeuvre had been eradicated from the Highway Code - people round here don't actually have rear view mirrors.

HildaW Tue 02-Sep-14 17:33:59

Yup, annoys me too.....also the ones who only just indicate as they make the manoeuvre....its supposed to be an indication of what you are going to do....not what you are doing.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 02-Sep-14 17:34:39

When we lived in Aberdeen we always reckoned that it was the worst place in the country for not indicating. Yes, it's infuriating, both when you're driving and also when you're a pedestrian, as you need to know if a car is coming round the corner before you cross (pedestrians have right of way? Aye, right.) I sometimes point in a meaningful way at an indicator which has not been used, as if there is something wrong with it (well, there is) and that sometimes earns a worried look from the careless driver. It's not as if it costs you anything to use indicators or lights when it's getting dark, come to that!

You must have got quite a fright, Nonu. Have a brew !

annodomini Tue 02-Sep-14 18:24:08

Drives me bonkers too when I wait for a driver to come over the roundabout only to find they are turning left and I could have gone! An offence all too frequent in this town.

Ana Tue 02-Sep-14 18:30:02

Even worse when they start indicating on the slip road but actually intend to take the second left hand turning off the roundabout...hmm

They must think we're all mind-readers!

POGS Tue 02-Sep-14 20:39:12

Especially as you don't have to wind the window down and wave your arm about anymore.

Just the job on a freezing cold night wasn't it, you wound the window down and the car either froze up or the windows steamed up. grin

Crow Tue 02-Sep-14 21:18:04

It happens a lot in our village. Drives me mad as well. Sometimes I think I am driving an invisible car!

Deedaa Tue 02-Sep-14 21:43:10

I'm always amazed at the number of large expensive cars that are apparently sold without indicators! Obviously an optional extra grin

Mishap Tue 02-Sep-14 21:49:09

And what really bugs me is that some cyclists think that glancing over their shoulder is the same as indicating that they intend to turn!

Anne58 Tue 02-Sep-14 22:08:45

I do wish that drivers would also realise that pedestrians too need to know where the drivers are going! Supermarket car parks have become a real danger zone!

Charleygirl Tue 02-Sep-14 22:14:11

phoenix I could not agree more. Also one way does not apparently mean that in my local Waitrose so I have to be extra careful because some idiot wants to save 10 seconds driving by going the wrong way down a one way street.

ninathenana Tue 02-Sep-14 22:27:01

All of the above plus the ignorant drivers who zoom up the lane that half a mile back was signposted as being closed off and then push in at the front of the lane that's queuing angry

Ana Tue 02-Sep-14 22:29:24

YES!!! angry

Aka Tue 02-Sep-14 22:57:40

And is it mainly men d'you think?

kittylester Wed 03-Sep-14 07:22:37

The people who really bug me are the ones who think parking rules apply to everyone but them! There is a zebra crossing at the top of our road which quite often has a lorry delivering bread to the Co-op parked right across it. angry

Agus Wed 03-Sep-14 07:44:25

All of the above plus at roundabouts so many people don't seem to know that the car approaching on the right has right of way. I have sat tentatively at roundabouts wondering if the car, stopped, obviously not knowing his Highway Code, is in fact going to make a sudden move onto the roundabout or should I just go for it!

shysal Wed 03-Sep-14 07:47:26

It makes me cross that some people think that they can park on double yellow lines as long as they leave their hazard lights flashing! In my village there is a fish and chip shop on a busy crossroads, where people do this right outside the door, even in the rush hour, causing major problems.

Agus Wed 03-Sep-14 07:56:30

Yes Aka, in my experience it usually is men. I sit in my car shouting, "what are you waiting for, an invitation"?

Brendawymms Wed 03-Sep-14 08:19:25

I was coming out of a supermarket car park. The lady in her car in front of me was in the middle of the road indicating right so I pulled to the left side to turn left. YES she turned LEFT right across me.

grumppa Wed 03-Sep-14 08:41:23

When giving way to drivers in narrow roads I find that men drivers nearly always acknowledge the courtesy with a raised hand or a flash of their lights: women hardly ever.

suebailey1 Wed 03-Sep-14 08:46:51

According to DH Mercedes drivers don't have to indicate at all and have a God given right to dominate the outside lane (we have a Nissan).

Wheniwasyourage Wed 03-Sep-14 09:31:10

In times gone by, it used to be Jaguar drivers who had the right to do what they liked, but I suppose these things go with fashion. My father, who later in life became a minister, used to say that he needed to be extra careful while driving on a Sunday, because people who had been to church felt that they had got divine dispensation to ignore traffic laws. grin